Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was perusing the various brands of dies as I need some for 350 Legend. I rolled up on a few places that have some of the RCBS 3-die sets. Was all set to grab one, but something didn't seem right. I read the description:

"The 3-Die Roll Crimp Set is for loading straight-wall cartridges. Its steel Sizer Die sizes the case and de-primes. Note: Cases must be lubricated. The Expander Die expands the case to the proper diameter to accept the bullet, and it imparts case mouth flare/bell for bullet feeding. The Seater Die seats the bullet and roll crimps."

What's wrong with this picture....

·
Registered
593 Posts
Was perusing the various brands of dies as I need some for 350 Legend. I rolled up on a few places that have some of the RCBS 3-die sets. Was all set to grab one, but something didn't seem right. I read the description:

"The 3-Die Roll Crimp Set is for loading straight-wall cartridges. Its steel Sizer Die sizes the case and de-primes. Note: Cases must be lubricated. The Expander Die expands the case to the proper diameter to accept the bullet, and it imparts case mouth flare/bell for bullet feeding. The Seater Die seats the bullet and roll crimps."

What's wrong with this picture....
Hmmm......don't think I would be buying that either. It might be funny to hear what their customer service says about that process.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
It sounds like somebody attached a standard pistol die set description in error...maybe. Curious to hear what RCBS says.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Just back out the seating die and get a lee factory crimp, I use them for everything and really like them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, to make things a bit more of a head scratcher, RCBS also sells a taper crimp die separately for 350L. THAT should be in the 3-die set, not a roll crimper. Anyway, I'll see what they say. I sure hope that is just a wording error and the set actually does have the taper crimp die in it, otherwise someone (and you know it'll happen) is going to hurt themself.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just back out the seating die and get a lee factory crimp, I use them for everything and really like them.
Actually, if I can find any in stock, I think I'm going to get a Hornady 4-die set for the 350. Each operation is its own die (FL sizing, case mouth expander, seating, and taper crimp).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Actually, if I can find any in stock, I think I'm going to get a Hornady 4-die set for the 350. Each operation is its own die (FL sizing, case mouth expander, seating, and taper crimp).
Oh, I thought you had already purchased the rcbs set.

I have lee, rcbs, and Hornady dies and Hornady is by far my favorite.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I was looking to get some and found a place that had the RCBS in stock. I was going to buy them until I read the description....

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
I know they headspace on the case mouth but I would think the crimp is just to straighten the case back to where it was before it was belled.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
I know they headspace on the case mouth but I would think the crimp is just to straighten the case back to where it was before it was belled.
Taper crimp would be more appropriate. It appears RCBS does make a taper crimp die too, but it is not part of the die set. I imagine it is feasible to use the roll crimp to remove remaining flare if one is careful, but taper crimp is more appropriate...

·
Premium Member
4,223 Posts
@Shopfox

Hey Fox, what dies and type of crimp are you using on the 350L rounds. I know you have done lots of testing and load data for yours.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
Most rifle dies are made to make roll crimp, Right, this is possibly likely a general description. You turn the seater in to crimp into a cannelure or crimping groove. Otherwise, the neck tension locates the bullet in the case. I'd suggest on any concern with RCBS gear is to call the company. RCBS support is good and has helped me out over the years.

Turn dies into roll crimp on a bullet with no groove? Something has to give. The case to some degree collapses or buckles. Result is a round that will not chamber.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Very lite roll crimp will not buckle case seating groove or not.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
But we seem to be leaving the point of the thread behind; the Legend head spaces on the case mouth, so roll crimping is still basically inappropriate. I do agree, that if all your cases are trimmed to the same length you might use that roll crimp to apply just enough to give good tension if there is no cannelure. But if the bullet has a cannelure the roll crimp will naturally try to roll it into the groove and you will have no sense of feel to judge initially as you adjust the die.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts