Rat Shot?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by fins59, Jan 31, 2012.

1. fins59

fins59 New Member

Any opinions on shooting rat shot or so I've heard it called, through a rifled barrel. Can or will it damage the barrel? I only ask cause I've tossed around the idea of getting a Judge, mainly for the ability to shoot shot shells for snakes and such. I think if these little shot shells won't hurt my XD, or whatever else I get. I can skip the Judge and move on.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wont hurt anything-
    I use 22lr & 357 quite a bit-
    BUT- They wont cycle a auto----Fact i dont think theres even any made for any simi auto round-

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

3. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

You can shoot shot-shells from the judge. However.... The wad will spin against the rifling making the shot spin as it comes out of the barrel. It will produce a circular pattern on your target and won't be very accurate.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I think he's tryin to avoid buyin one-
    Dont blame him none :rolleyes:

5. fins59

fins59 New Member

I do kinda want a Judge. Just not sure if that's where I really want to spend the money right now. Might just get a .357 & put some mini shot shells in it.

6. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

CCI makes them for autos in 9mm, 40sw, 45acp. But as stated, they won't cycle well.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

There areshot shells made for a variety of handguns- I have .45s and .38 Specials at the moment- as well as .22 LR and .22Mag.

It will NOT hurt your barrel. If you shot a LOT, you would need to scrub barrel (many have shot in a plastic capsule- you will scrub plastic out of barrel)

Due to the spin imparted by the rifling (as that fellow just said up there ^^) the shot column is thrown open, and at any great range, looks like a doughnut. IMHO, effective range for .22LR is about 10 ft, 22 Mag 15 feet, other handguns, about 20 ft.

While most shot loads will not cycle a semi, there WAS a 45 ACP shot load made for the Thompson SMG that fired full auto. Was a "riot control load". Still recall the ad copy from Auto Ordnance- "Calm a raging mob with the gentle patter of bird-shot". Yeah- fired full auto. OWTCH!!!:eek:

8. fins59

fins59 New Member

If I did semi. it would be a .45. since that's what I already got. I'm kinda browsing for my next gun now. Not sure which way I wanna go, revolver- Judge or .357, or semi. -probably another 1911 (just got my wife one).

9. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I keep rat shot for my 10/22 because i always kill about 7 or 8 poisonous snakes a year. Theres not much that im afraid of but if im surprised by a snake....get the hell out of my way!!

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Word to the wise from someone that has had 3 judges-4 if you count my 22 lr/mag rifle. They suck for just about everything BUT pest control

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The shot is lead. The barrel is steel. Lead will not damage steel. You may get fouling if you shoot shot shells a BUNCH, but few will ever fire enough.

12. DunRanull

DunRanull New Member

The plastic-cupped bird-shot will not hurt your barrel, tho be sure to clean it on account of the plastic. Ive used the .38/357 most, and close in it is marginal on the mean *** rattlers (diamondbacks) we see sometimes. On the smaller prairie rattlers, it's ok. I dunno about those .410 revolvers but a load of #6 shot should work. Me, I prefer a 12 gauge preferably an auto. I hate snakes, particularly the vipers. Granted emptying the extended mag on one snake is a bit much...
    Here in the southern Colorado foothills there is a kind of snake which will kill and displace rattlers.. can't recall the name but Ive seen em.. Caught some dang kids stoning one.. had one in a water tap pit and left it be... cool surprise for the meter reader :D

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I turned over a piece of old plywood in my field one time and there was a cotton mouth underneath it. I shot it with my 12g and the impact flung it back in my face. Talk about walking on air!

There may have been a not so manly yell too, but i wont admit to that.

14. fins59

fins59 New Member

I'm not particularly scared of snakes..... But Ida probably screamed like a little girl on that one.

But I was thinking Judge for snake control while out on the water ( we like to take our boat out and beach up on an island ) or hiking. But now I'm thinking an ordinary revolver and the rat shot.

Thanks guys.

15. grandpa1466

grandpa1466 New Member

In late spring and early summer, copperheads are a big problem on the gravel road where I live. After dusk I can kill 2-3 every night for a month or so. I used to use **** shell in my 38 spl, but when they got to be $1.20 per shot that made the snakes too expensive. Now I use 22LR ratshot followed by a solid bullet if needed. Not as efficient, but it kills the snakes.

16. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I have a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt loaded with CCI shot shells. Put a few through at the range for pattern and at five yards it was a pretty even spread from center.

We use them on gophers.

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Poor snakes!! ;) I've taught the ones around here to just stay out from around my house. I've always just picked 'em up, including a bunch of copper heads & one cotton mouth that I found in my shop, & took 'em back to the woods where they belong. Haven't seen a single one in the last 2-3 years! They help keep the rat/mouse population under control. :)

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Screw a bunch of that, i dont even touch them after i shoot them. Lol

19. fins59

fins59 New Member

I give em a wide berth. And haven't had to off one yet. But ya never know.

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Back in 2004 i was on my unit at the prison, the dorms are military style with double bunks so the inmates are totally free to move around. I was in my office about to walk out the door to tour my unit,an orderly walks into the office as i am walking out carrying this big black snake. About the time he says "look what i f--------" i kicked him in the stomache out of reflex and sent him and the snake flying out into the hallway. He had found the damn thing inside the mop closet and brought it to show me not knowing that im scared of snakes. That same inmate wouldnt come around me for about 3 weeks. I dont know what ever happened to the snake,they might have ate the damn thing for all i know.