rare pistols

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Reinhard, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Reinhard

Reinhard New Member Supporter

I took some pics of antique guns you might be intrested in ,they are a couple of Duckfeet pistols and they are a pair ,barrels are numbered 1,2,3,4 and the other gun is numbered from 5 to number 9,not my guns :( but intresting to see a COUPLE of rare pistols
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very interesting. Bad trigger discipline though. ;)

3. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

So Neat,
    Why does each barrel have two holes?
    Looks like the kinda thing awaiting all the barrells going off at once

4. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Two shots per barrel and yes they do all fire at once..

5. Reinhard

haha ,yes Don I can't help myself,I was thinking how it would be firing this gun, but the answer is easy I think ,with a lot of smoke
    it must be a buzz ,four caliber .52 barrels igniting at the same time
    I don't think they make them in replica's

6. amoroque

amoroque New Member

those ARE very interesting. Do you have any other info on them?

7. Reinhard

amoroque I have no futher info on them ,but I just looked on the net and you can find duck'sfoot replica's sold in kit by dixie gun works
    the guns belong to a friend ,nothing is known on the guns except what you already can find on the net, I know that a pair of these guns is very ultra rare

Duck's Foot Pistols

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  8. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

These type of handguns are called "ducksfoot". These were designed to discharge all barrels at once. These had only one purpose. These were naval anti boarding weapons. In the days of old when 2 ships came side by side, the aggresive ships sailors would swing over at once to overwhelm the other ship. These guns were fired in unison as I understand it. An entire volley of these going off at one time had to devestate the invaders. As with most I have seen they were smoothbore and with no sights. Pointblank range only.

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I bet they're a hoot to shoot. I would imagine the brass frames might not hold up with heavy usage. However, they probably weren't fired all that often.

10. Reinhard

that's interesting,you seen more of these guns? these pistols have rifled barrels

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  11. Reinhard

you can buy them in a self build kit,so somebody ,somewhere must have fired one,I wonder howmuch blackpowder can be loaded in each barrel ,I guess it won't be more than 20 grains

12. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I have owned a few of the replica's and have fired them. I have seen 2 original ones and they were smoothbore like the replica's. Hard to imagine why they would be rifled, since this would make them harder to load, the range intended was very short and no sights. I shot my 3 barreled 36 caliber with 20 grains of FFG and recoil wasnt even noticable.

13. Reinhard

it's possible that the owner wanted rifled barrels , they are scarce guns I don't think they were mass produced ,my guess is a .52 caliber

14. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

they were made in some shape or form into the later mid 1800s.....caught cheating at a card game? no problem, pull one of these babies out and BAM! rest of the table is dead.

as far as I know...these are a "Gentleman's" gun. for those with lack of skill or without time to aim.
    its a small "shotgun"

15. Reinhard

BrowningBoy I think they are more mid 1700s I guess,1760 to 1790