Rapid fire and breathing - your take on it?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by flw, Apr 22, 2012.

1. flw

flw New Member

When firing more than one round quickly, what is your take on breathing to keep sight on target(s)?

i.e. with rifle single shot, you fire between the natural pause between breaths to keep sight on target.

2. RufusTFirefly

RufusTFirefly New Member

I think more info is needed. For starters...

What weapon are you shooting?
    What are you shooting at?
    What is the range to target?
    What kind of sights?
    Is this for competition matches? or... ?
    What is your shooting posture? Standing? Prone? Benchrest?
    Define "quickly"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Real question is:
    1. Competition shooting
    2. Fight shooting

If one, yes you should pay attention to your breathing. Paper targets don't shoot back.
    If two, who breaths?

4. flw

flw New Member

Glock 23

Popup targets

Range is up to 50 ft.

Standard sgihts

Not for competition just for enjoyment

Weaver stance

Overall just trying to shoot safely, and accurately but quickly. i.e. not waiting for the natural pause between breaths.

Hope that helps

5. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

6. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

Rythm method.....try dry runs where you make a boom sound for every trigger squeeze.Start with about a 90%,full breath....letting out just a bit of air with every "boom".Practice your timing......lungs are muscles as well(muscle memory).Shopnut

7. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I always shoot during my natural breath pause even during rapid fire. I was taught that way and it's a hard habit to break unless someone is shooting at you then that's a different story.

8. Nighthawk63

Nighthawk63 New Member

Depends on type of shooting you are doing. In close quarter combat sometimes no time to take to many breaths. Myself for long distance. "One Shot, One Kill". I spend a large amount of time shooting 500+ yards. I have only 2 assault rifles. Mostly long range weapons and close quarter combat weapons. My belief that when you are rapid firing you tend to miss more than you hit regardless if advancing or retreating while firing. If I was in a defensive position it was take your time and make every shot count. I never thought about how I was breathing. After you practice enough or you have been in a few fire fights you breathing is just as natural as pulling the trigger. Experience and practice is what allows you to be more accurate with you shooting.

9. Nighthawk63

Nighthawk63 New Member

Killing

Killing in combat is easy, dealing with it later is the problem. That is where I have my problems.

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I shoot as fast as the front sight returns to index. I develop a kind of rhythm in shooting. I have honestly never even thought about my breathing other than to calm down before I hear the "Beep."