Ranger sxt ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Drew197, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Drew197

Drew197 New Member

Does anyone know if these are legal to own

Attached Files:

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Depends on your state. Those are the "super deadly explosive good convict killing" black talons that libtards like Feinstein hate. Which means they work REALLY well. So yes they are illegal most places......if you happen to get caught by a cop who knows what a true black talon looks like which most don't. (Tip-if your in texas stay away from robo cuz he DOES know what they are;) )

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sorry, but I must disagree with my learned collegue over there (BAD Marlinman! BAD! SIT!)

SXT is a hollowpoint round- NOT an explosive round- and that does not make it illegal in MOST places. Matter of fact, NJ prohibits CARRYING HP ammo- they are only ones I can think of. You're in Cortez, right? Not prohibited by Colorado law.

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Ever see a PDX1 opened up? Damn near the same except they get about $6 more a box for 20 than the rangers cost for a box of 50

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Same ole bullet used in the black talon loads just with out the lube job winny used on some bullets. So you have a good box of defence ammo.

6. rhyno13

rhyno13 New Member

Yes they are legal to own and use

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I was being sarcastic on the exploding part. Black talons are illegal everywhere I know of which like I said, its basically what they are. Which is why I said be careful bout gettin caught by cops

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Marlin- Winchester withdrew them from the market under the Black Talon name. Old joke is that SXT means Same Xact Thing. Being illegal is another matter.

Now, a few of us are researching bullets made of Plutonium and Uranium 235- if you hit him enough times and keep your group sizes small, you can achieve critical mass, and get a nuclear detonation- THOSE are likely to be illegal everywhere except Israel, Switzerland, and North Dakota.

"Why, no, officer- I am not carrying nukes- must be some background radiation from when I drove thru Los Alamos..." :rolleyes:

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Black Talons are NOT illegal in any REAL State. I can't speak for Kali, NJ, or Chi-town. SXT's are essentially the same thing as the BT's.

The box is labeled LE ammo as a marketing tactic. It does not magically invoke some super secret Federal law prohibiting civilians from owning some kinds of ammo.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Then I guess missouri isn't a real state then cuz they sure as hell are illegal to own here.

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yes I know they did.......didn't stop my mentor from buying 150 boxes when he could though;)

12. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Winchester Ranger FMJ ammo is labeled LEO only. It's a FMJ bullet that goes a whopping 85 FPS faster than an Aguilia FMJ. That 85 FPS must have taken a lot of work for Winchester to achieve. I wonder if it detonates on impact when fired from the proper weapon. All it does from my P95 is flatten out on contact with a steel plate.

13. robocop10mm

I would be very interested in seing the exact statute that prohibits such amunition. I have searched the web for such a statute and have been unable to locate any such law. I am not saying you are wrong, butI would like to see the law in print.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya so would I.....you know better than most that if a cop says something is law then they are never wrong:rolls eyes: that being said I seriously doubt you have done that to someone. We had a local cop come by the shop amd tell us he was confiscating our "illegal" ammo. My mentor told him not wo a warrant and evem then not wo a fight because they sure as hell ARENT illegal. Hell I carry something very similar everyday-hornady black scorpions 230 gr 45 acps. They were part of some test ammo we got. Why they were never mass produced I don't know. They are a cross between hydrashoks amd xst's pretty much.

15. robocop10mm

Any officer who tries to confiscate Black Talons because they are "illegal" is an idiot and unfit to wear the badge. I tell people almost daily to stop watching the mainstream news as they are mostly FOS.

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yep....he got shot bout a year later for illegal search and seizures when in civvies off duty. Sadly the idiot went on to become sheriff. That lasted bout 6 months and he got his job pulled and his life ruined bc he ummmmmm slept w a couple inmates. Male ones.

17. trip286

trip286 New Member

Rumor has abounded for years that it's illegal in Mississippi.

I searched. And searched. I could find NO restrictions in ANY ammo in Mississippi.

I think this stems from the fact that they stopped making/selling "black talons", thereby making them almost impossible to come by, and had them removed from store shelves, marking similar ammo LEO ONLY.

I agree with above. I think that's a marketing gimmick. I know those who use it who aren't LEO, and never have trouble buying it.

Also, I would think, that for liability purposes, police departments generally wouldn't want their cops using some super secret restricted ammo type. Robo, please clarify if you will.

My step brother is a LEO in Denison Texas, a pretty rough neighborhood, and they're restricted to "off the shelf" ammo, meaning only what the average LAC is also able to purchase.

Funny thing- his department decided to adopt the 357SIG. He has no problem with that, and is personally pretty impressed with it. What he has an issue with is that it's some of the most expensive ammo out there and they have to buy all their own training and duty ammo out of pocket. Also, unlike many departments, they have a good deal of required range time, I think a total number of rounds per month somewhere in the range of a few hundred.

18. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

No they aren't.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Read the post about the deputy. It'll explain what I ment

20. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Ah, you were using the sarcasm font. It looks similar to serious font in florescent lighting.

;)