Range Targets Ideas

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Marthor, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I was at the free public Chickahominy WMA shooting range in Virginia last weekend and picked up some pointers from an old-timer about gear for the range.

He showed me some shiney tagets he made from chinese food trays. He said you can get a huge stack cheap.

Also, the range has chicken wire to hang targets out at 100 yards, but nothing shorter. You have to bring your own or use a few pieces of rebard laying around.

His solution was to get some stands from yard signs on the corner. They will hold a piece of cardboard for you so you can set up your own standing target whereever you want.

This leads into the idea of raiding Obama re-election signs for this purpose at the range. I don't see any downside to this...

1) It'll be fun to remove the Obama signs from someone's yard. LOL
    2) It'll give me a free target backings I can use
    3) It'll be extra humorous to be shooting at them at the range LOL

I plan to raid me a stack. Where am I wrong? LOL

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Go for it, just don't get caught.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Try NECCO Wafers. They go poof and the ants will clean them up. Aspirins or any small tablet work great too if you are really good.

4. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Whoops, forgot one.

[​IMG]

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Watch out for Eric Holder.

I heard he is going to have a campaign-sign-walker program up and running come election time. :cool:

6. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Hey, the old-timer had a golf ball he was shooting at too. =)

There's a rule at this range of only paper and cardboard targets. I need to find a place where I can shoot at all this other stuff too.

One thing I did was make a bullseye pattern on "powerpoint" and print up some of my own targets off the printer. Maybe I'll print some small animals next time too.

I like seeing all the different target suggestions. Thumbs up!

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

A box of Clays at Wal-Mart is pretty CHEAP !

8. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The range at Chickahominy WMA has verged on closing a couple of times- and used to include a handgun range, now closed. Be careful about the rules there- they are enforced by the State Game Wardens.

Notice you list Norfolk as home, military as occupation. Do some checking, and see which posts have a rod & Gun club range near you. Check Eustis, Dam Neck, Story, etc. Check with the shooters on Team 2 at Little Creek, and the Marine marksmen at Norfolk Naval Base. You may also find some places you can shoot across the bay over on the Eastern Shore.

You may also find some peanut farmers out in Suffolk that respond well to polite, well spoken military asking for permission to shoot.

10. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Election season is approaching. I have yet to see any signs planted in the lawns yet though?

I think this idea needs a fresh going over again though to get ready. ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  11. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I haven't seen any of these on the range as of yet.
    Maybe you'll be the first if any could be found.

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I’ve got one of those small orange ‘self-healing’ plastic things that I hung by chain off a shepard’s hook bird feeder stand. I can place it at any distance.

Maybe you, or someone you know, has got a real estate agency sign knocking around the garage from when the house was bought? A cardboard or luan backer can be slid into them. You can place them at any distant too. Maybe you can buy just one?

I saw someone with a box of pool cue chalks. They go 'poof' too when you hit them.

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  13. unclebear

unclebear New Member

yards signs makes great targets, after the local mayor election I got a big stack of them from my neighbors worked pretty good just throw a shoot n see and set them up. I also like to shoot empty beer bottles, bottle tops, books, golf balls off of t's, potatoes, old burnt out light bulbs, oil pans, propane tanks, empty fire exstinguishers... etc.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

one of my favorites are the plastic soda pop bottles filled with water. different sizes too. these are fun for shooting at with just about anything, rimfires, centerfires, ect....

15. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I mostly shoot "novelty" targets at my home range. I like to stick with biodegradable targets so I don't make a mess of my property. I like the biodegradable clays, I bought a box of paintballs that make nice targets. Crackers (the ones you eat, not the ones on two feet) work nice. I just had an idea, I have a clay pit on my property, I can have the boys make some clay balls and dry them in the sun. Those ought to work nice. I like free stuff.

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Pick the crap up if you shoot at cans and bottles. I have seen too many areas closed because of slob shooters. I like edible targets as insects and birds will clean them up. The clay balls sound like a good idea though. I also like the metal spinners. Again no mess to clean up.

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Quoted for truth. Rule #1 at any range or when hunting is: If it is light enough for you to carry it in full, you can carry it out empty.

All of the target ideas so far are great. My friends and I love reactive targets and have come up with a few of our own. Expired condiments (pickle relish, ketchup, mustard, cocktail sauce, etc.), expired canned goods that you come across when rotating your food stocks. Plastic milk jugs with water and food color (or generic kool aide) in them, and old fruits and vegetables are all fun to shoot. Just remember to clean up afterward. Esspecially if you want to be invited back to your friend's range in the back 40.

18. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I like to shoot aspirins with the 17 hmr.