Range rules

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by 11Handicap, Jan 8, 2012.

1. 11Handicap

11Handicap New Member

I am new to firearms, just bought my first pistol. I went to the range closest to my home several times to observe before i went to shoot. I asked for the range rules. And a young man looked at me like i had two heads. This is my personality, i am not particarlly comfortable around a group with firearms yet since i am new. I had to go online and read the range rules. Here is the one that scares me: it states that all weapons are to be left on the firing line, you are to load your weapon there to shoot it. Is this typical? Very few people except me do this. They all carry it back to a table behind to reload, than return with it to the fireing line. Is this typical at ranges? I have not been to enough to know. Do most people read the range rules and follow them? I am basically afraid someone will shoot me walking up to the line with an accidental discharge, might be my new guy range fear but its still there. Tons of kids there renting guns to shoot, i am veteran compared to them. And i am new so you know what i mean. Should i go to another range?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and your willingness to help someone new to firearms.

2. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I've never been to ANY range where "handling" of any kind is allowed while someone is downrange of the weapon. Some competitions have a "loading table"...but it is supervised by a RO of some sort. as a matter of fact, at my home range, if you aren't on the line, it HAS to be bagged or holstered.

I'd be leery...and I'm interested to hear some of the others opinions.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I think that loading at the line is safer than loading at a table behind the line. I also think its safer to leave the guns at the line when walking downrange.

4. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Amen, brother.

5. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

They have this rule at the range I go to. Not really a big deal to me. I know there are a few other rules I've seen some other people break like rapid fire, head shots, and the like. I've been flashed once by a laser sight a couple of guys were looking at on a pistol. I ask them to please be at the line when they did that. If you observe safety issues you need to let the RO or someone in authority know. I'm sure most ranges wouldn't tolerate that behavior. Welcome and good luck.

6. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

I agree.

I'm surprised the range does not have the range rules posted on a board and available for handout.

Rules I appreciate include but are not limited to:

1. No handling of firearms or ammunition during cease fire.
    2. No one across the red line during cease fire unless going down range.
    3. No entry onto the firing line during cease fire.
    4. Insert a Yellow breech flag into the open action and leave it there for the duration of cease fire.

7. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

To me the flag isn't a big deal unless it's a gun where the action doesn't lock open. I've never seen a range where you can step back from the line to load. the most common range rules around my area are uncase at the line and case at the line. Gun is always pointed down range. During a cease fire no one is aloud at the line and no uncasing during a cease fire. There are a bunch of other rules always but those are the ones my range stresses on.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

These last two posts sounds like very reasonable rules to me.

9. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

and I also agree with they should have the rules posted somewhere. At my range they are posted about every 4th station and next to the sign in sheet. So there is no way you won't see the list at one point.

10. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

At an indoor range I go to there is a table about 12 feet behind where everybody shoots. Me and a lot of other shooters load our magazines there but not our guns.

11. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

i think that is fine but not an actual gun....

12. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

You need to offer this video ( produced by NSSF and free to the public ) to the range officers. I require all new people to watch it and then I ask questions, everyone must watch again each year ( normally in groups of about 10 ) and it is amasing how much youwill pick up every time you view it!

Introduction to Range Safety and Etiquette - YouTube!

13. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I think they are reloading magazines not the gun.

14. redteck215

redteck215 New Member

at the range i go to there is a sieze fire every 20 minutes. now during that sieze fire all guns must have no mags clips or bullets in the gun, and all guns must have a chamber flag inserted,(chamber flag is availible at the shop were you buy the lane fee for a huge price of $1.00 and they ask you if you have one.) and all people must stay out of the red painted zone wich is the firing line. do to the fact that we have to walk down were we shoot to replace or inspect targets. this works very well. i have seen people yell at people to geet them out of the firing line. works great. as the whole loading at a table not aloud. you load were you shoot or you dont load at all.

15. shadamai

shadamai New Member

At my local range, they have the rules printed on their brochures and available to everyone. All first time range visitors are handed a copy of the rules to read and sign before they begin.

16. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

Good video. They did a very good job explaining things. If I ever take a friend to the range im going to have them watch that.

17. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

First impresions are everything. If it was me, as soon as the RSO looked at me like I had 2 heads over the request of the range rules, I would have left and not come back. The ranges I go to have the rules posted in atleast 6 places, and that is just in the clubhouse area. They are clear about the rules, and you only get 1 warning before you are ejected. No excuses, No exceptions.

Many years ago, the wife and I went to a trap and skeet range in our area. We left after 1 round due to unsafe practices. In 20 minutes of being there, I had no less than 5 "experienced shooters" point shotguns in my direction. When we asked about speaking with a RSO, we were told "We don't have one. We police ourselves." They do such a knockout job that we will not go back again to say the least.

Another range, this one is the closest to home, was serving beer while members were outside shooting. Guns and alcohol do not mix. Ever! When we noticed shooters going out to the range after downing "one or two." we left. This time never having fired a shot.

Point is you can never be too safe. If the actions of patrons, management, or members concearn you, find a diferent range.Your safety, and the safety of those around you should ALWAYS be the number 1 priority.

Stay safe and enjoy. In the end the call is yours.

18. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

It's not just a problem at public ranges.
    I would shoot at the local FOP range where we had a self inflicted fatality last year (St. Augustine - FOP lodge 113). Haven't been back since but then again, I have my own ranges now.

19. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The private range I visit most frequently has a public address system with speakers throughout the range. Every cease fire is announced on the PA, along with the complete script of cease fire rules. This is done without fail every time. Loading of firearms is not allowed except at the shooting bench. All firearms not being handled must be left with the actions open and with magazines removed (when possible) or a flag inserted in the chamber and clearly visible. It is all very clear and violations are dealt with appropriately (meaning honest mistakes like forgetting your targets on the shooting bench and having to retrieve them is a minor and simple thing whereas pointing the firearm in an unsafe direction will be dealt with more firmly.)

I like it there.