Range Rpt.-Kentucky Pistol

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by RL357Mag, Aug 9, 2009.

1. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Just for sh!tz and giggles I thought I'd shoot a kit gun that I built back in the 80's for a display above my fireplace. It is a CVA Kentucky pistol in .45 cal. A 25 yd. 5-shot group yielded a 5.5" spread...not spectacular, but still quite deadly. The Philadelphia Derringer underneath was my first kit and the first real pistol I ever owned and carried when I was 18...it would stay loaded for months and was always under the front seat of my 64' Plymouth Valiant...

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Cool beans. :D

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Yeah, I can see how dueling matches were a scary proposition. It's hard to believe people actually missed!

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I've been told that it might actually be more deadly to get hit by a black powder pistol than by a cartridge pistol due to the lower velocity & fuller transfer of energy without the danger of a thru-n-thru shot. Is that BS, or does that make sense to you?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's pretty cool RL - Looks like that thing is pretty damn accurate at 25yards. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be dueling against you. :p

JD

6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Thanks JD - it's not a target pistol, but for a replica of a 150 yr.old gun it holds its' own..

7. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

That's correct. Several historical journals depict the deadly results of being hit by relatively slow moving, large lead balls. We've all seen the photo's of civil war battlefield medical stations with amputated limbs piled high. Getting hit on a bone by a .50-.69 cal. projectile almost always resulted in massive splintering followed by amputation - without anesthesia!

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Did you seriously say "more deadly"? Wanna rethink that?

Anyhoo, very nice RL. If it ever comes down to nuttin but bp, those who ignore them will be without. :D

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I have a pair of those (in case I ever need to offer an opponent choice of weapons) and they are tack drivers.

Re: deadliness- well, there is really no dead-deader-deadiest. Dead is an absolute. However, if you live thru the initial OW!, there are other problems, BP bullets tend to be big and slow. They do not self sterilize from air friction, usually have a blob of grease on them, and tend to carry clothing etc into the wound.

As Mr. Rogers would say "Boys and girls- can YOU say GANGRENE? Sure ya can."

BTW, at one time, true DUELING pistols were not rifled. Too accurate. Not sporting at all, you see. Cruelest insult- if your opponent missed- was to "delope"- point your pistol in some direction OTHER than opponent, fire, walk away.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

For a blackpowder, smooth bore? I would take that accuracy all day long. :p

11. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

LOL - I didn't read Orangello's post correctly - a BP pistol would NOT be more deadly - but a BP rifle would most certainly be, if it is compared to a centerfire firing FMJ's.
    If percussion caps were easy to manufacture, I would suggest everyone buy a BP rifle/pistol combo since BP is easy to make at home, and if the SHTF to the point where reloading components become unavailable, then BP would be the best and only line of defense after a while. They worked very well for the first hundred years...

12. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

It's not a smooth bore, it's actually a 10" rifled barrel - 1:14 twist if I remember. If I shot it from a bench it probably would have grouped better than my centerfire pistols at the same range. Even the little Phil. Derringer in the pic is rifled! I have many BP weapons and the only ones that aren't rifled are a New Orleans Ace .44 single shot boot pistol, an Ethan Allen Pepperbox, and a gun called the Twister, which is a .32 cal two shot derringer - after firing off the first round, a lever is pressed under the barrel which allows the barrel to rotate 180 degrees, then cock the hammer again and fire the second shot. I'll post pics of all the BP guns I have next week. I was really into that crap years ago and made a nice display frame out of old barn siding above my fireplace.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  13. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

It's the same with the replica revolvers, rifled barrels. I have a couple of the pre-civil war replicas you can get thru places like Cabela's. The long barreled ones are surprizingly accurate off a rest. Fun to shoot. :D

14. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Yep. Back in the late 70's and early 80's there was a company called "Classic Arms" that sold all of those pre-civil war replicas, most in kit form, dirt cheap. I wish I had bought them all now. They had a "Duckfoot" which was three .32 cal. barrels that went off simultaneously. It was used by pirates boarding ships - like a shotgun of sorts. The British had a Cutlass Pistol which was a single shot .44 much like the Kentucky pistol only it had a blade or "cutlass" under the barrel so you could still stay in the fight after shooting your one shot. All these guns sold for less than $50 back then. Classic Arms wenr out of business in the late 80's...:(

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Really?? That is something that I did not know. I am not into BP of any sort - but that is cool that you can buy a kit, and assemble a pistol that shoots this well.

Is it an FFL item - or can you just up and order one off the Interwebz??

Interesting!

JD

16. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

In most states, the bp stuff is no ffl. I've seen kits for long guns like the Hawken and a single shot pistol that looks like a pirate pistol. I have not seen any kits for a revolver, but Cabela's sells several models. Everything from basic to fully engraved stainless with mikarta grips. Some come with easy interchange cylinders so you can have extra loaded and ready for caps as a sort of speed loader. You can use loose powder or 30 gr pellets, balls or conicals. Of course, they are single action.

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*makes note in Agent 47 book*

Really? That is VERY interesting...:rolleyes:

JD

18. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The replicas Cabela's sells are made by F. LLI. Pietta in Italy. You can get them from about $150-$750 or so. Truely the all the SHTF firearms. I would like to get the 'Cattleman's Carbine' rifle, but it is down the list of firearms. :D

Heck, the LeMat replica also has a 20 ga under.

19. Hawg

Hawg New Member

I have an early Twister but mine's a .36, Classic Arms is still in business. DGW still sells those kits but not completed guns.

I noticed on your target you used 20 grs. of powder. Why so light of a charge?

20. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

My mistake Hawg - the Twister IS .36 cal., but it takes a .350 patched RB and not the more common .375. I only used 20 gr. because it was the first time I fired it - I could probably use twice that, but for accuracy a lighter charge is always better.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009