Range Respect

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by cottontop, Jan 29, 2012.

1. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I was at the local range yesterday and two guys at the table/bench to my left were shooting semi autos (I believe they were .308s). Anyway, their empty brass was being ejected and thrown from their rifles right at me. The hot sharp cases were hitting me, my spotting scope and my rifle. I noticed that down the line, others were experiencing this same problem, except that they did not see it as a problem. They just ignored it and kept shooting. So, I didn't say anything. I just tolerated it until they left. Then I got back to serious shooting. I had my Ruger #1 single shot and I did not want it to get all nicked up by ejected brass. I don't mind an honest nick or two through normal use or hunting, but this was totally unnecessary. I also got hit in the face and if I was not wearing glasses, I could have lost an eye. I should have asked the range officer about it and I will next time I am there, but is this normal for most ranges? Is there some kind of rule that some ranges have about shooting autos? Do some ranges have a designated place for autos only? It just grinds my gears that I have to suffer because of some slob's "fun."
    cottontop

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Unfortunately, very few places have rules on being an inconsiderate a-hole.

The best course of action may have been to either move to the other side of them, or politely ask them to move to the other side of you.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

All I can say is I don't know how you guys do it, shoot with the general public. I realize for a lot of you there is no other option but from what I've read here, experiences shooting at a public range seem to be about 50/50, good and bad. If I ever get a place big enough to host a lot of shooters, I'm having every daggone one of you over for rifles and ribs, pistols and pork chops, revolvers and....tacos? We'll save the beer 'til the ammo runs out...:cool:

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Sounds good vincent, count me in!

5. vincent

vincent New Member

In like Flynn bro!! :cool:

6. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

The range I go to the shooting positions are far enough apart that the brass would have a hard time hitting your neighbor.

7. Frank827

Frank827 New Member

I have this same problem, the range I go to assigns you a booth and you are not to move from that booth. I sometimes notice my brass hitting the person next to me and even though they don't complain, I feel like an ******* and I prefer to wait till they leave or stand my rifle case so it hits my case.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

My private club is open to the public on Sundays so I only see this one day a week but we have solved the problem with brass catchers. 16" x 16" box formed with 1/2" PVC pipe and covered with netting. These keep your brass from hitting your neighbor and makes clean up a snap.

Make one and take it to your public range. You can keep it with youand if a semi auto shooter takes position to your left, you can offer it to him. You MAY just spark a courtesy trend and solve the problem.

Tack

9. jon1992d

jon1992d New Member

I use a public range and everyone there that is a regular respects eachother and we all try to sit together in a line of wichever distance we are shooting at. That solves the problem of A-holes haveing no common sence or respect and we all feel a little safer knowing we are around serious shooters and not the idiot gun is a toy people and way to jumpy guy.

10. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

Flying brass can be annoying...

But who was there first? If they were, you might want to check with the person on the line to your left to see what they are shooting.

I tried hanging a sheet to keep my brass from pummeling the person next to me, but the RSO asked me to take it down because it obscured his view of the firing line. That made sense to me, so it came down. I might try see-through mosquito netting next time.

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Don't be so passive next time. Tell them that their brass is beating up your equipment. Ask to swap lanes, this solves the problem.

Everyone today is too meek to speak out. Stand up damnit!

And if resolve cannot be reached through cordiality, involve range personnel.

The only public range I visit has benches divided by walls. 25 lanes. Your brass either goes back or forward.

12. kaido

kaido New Member

This makes me not wan to go to more well known ranges man. I'm always hearing negative things about them or some of the people who go to them.

Just my thoughts, but if the RSO or the people shooting off their autos don't feel like taking your request seriously, I'd probably look for a smaller less known range. The one I use don't usually have people there to often. It's also outside and it is winter right now.

All-in-all, I hope you can work your range issues out.

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

That's not good. I go shooting at a State run shooting range not far from here that has chickwire put up between every other shooting position just for that reason. It's a simple fix and it only makes good sense. Just to be sure that I don't annoy the other shooters around me I always use a brass catcher too except maybe when I'm shooting .22's. My Mini-14 tries to toss the spent brass into the next county.

On a slightly funny note, not too long ago when I was shooting my 10/22 I tossed some spent brass up and down the back of my wife's hip-hugger jeans who was shooting right next to me. It made her do the funny dance. :eek:

14. fmj

fmj Active Member

hate to sound like an @$$hole here, but, REALLY!?!? Its the nature of the beast. If your to the right of somebody, brass is going to be flying your way. Thats how it is! Dont like it? go home!

Those guys were there to do the same exact thing as you, let the lead and brass FLY and have a good time.

Often i have drawn the spot to the right and have yet to allow flying brass or muzzle blast deter me. I understand its the name of the game. I use it as a challenge to up my marksmanship game. Tight groups amongst distractions.

When i draw the bench to the left and my brass is flying at another shooter i usually say something to the effect of "Sorry bro, This thing really chucks the brass." The response is normally, "no prob."

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

When you go to a public range you have to deal with.......the public.

The portable shooting screen sounds like a great idea. Other than that, or swapping spots, get over it.

16. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

When you go to a public range you have to deal with.......the public.

The portable shooting screen sounds like a great idea. Other than that, or swapping spots, get over it.

Personally, I don't shoot with people I don't know. It is too damn dangerous. I stopped going to public ranges because I decided I was going to shoot the next bastage that pointed a gun at me, no questions asked, and I am too pretty to go to prison.

17. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

The range I go to frequently has some portable "brass screens" available on the rifle range. If you are shooting a gun that ejects brass you place one of the screens to prevent it from hitting the shooter to the right. The pistol range has a screen between each shooting station. 1/4 inch hardware cloth.

I am working on making a brass catcher to catch the brass from my guns and deposit it into an ammo can. I will still ask other shooters for their brass though, politely. If I can't use it to reload I will either stockpile it for the future guns or recycle it.

18. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Empty Crown Royal bags and double sided velcro. Offer to help them install it on their rifles. It has worked for me in the past.

Other idea, I own a modern BAR in .270, and it is a LH model. If the guy to my left is being a d!ck, the mini goes in it's case, and I "return fire".:D They usually get the point.

19. shadyshooter

shadyshooter New Member

brass in the face!

my range has partitions between each shooting position i don't think i have ever had that experience but if i did i would suggest they should consider your position and MOVE as a slap in the face would offend!!

20. JonM

JonM Moderator

The range i attend has screens to bolt to the bench which prevents brass chucking. The real issue are the jerks with 16" 308 ar15s with a compensator. The concussion from those things is tooth jarring for 3 benches left and right.

In the summer when those tards are out i take my m44 mosin and return fire heh. I usually wait till they are making scope adjustments to crank a few off. I really need to get a compensator for that thing...