Range Report rem 700 .308 1-400 yards

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Hot Sauce NARC, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

Went out with my new to me reminton 700 .308 with a Leupold Vari X III 4.5-14X40, shooting Federal gold medal match 168gr HPBT

Wind went from a steady 8mph and gusted to about 20mph and was constantly changing direction. Temp was about 50 when i started and got all the way up to about 65 by the end. Not the ideal day to shoot long range for the first time but rarely do we get a nice still day on the flatlands of IL.
    First target is my 100 yard sight in about 2in high for a 200 yard 0
    second target was my 200 yard target (second time ever shooting that far) and wind was playing a factor. Third pic is my first 300 yard target after i clicked in some elevation and some windage. Next pic is my best 300 yard target with a bit more windage dialed in. After that i decided that since wind was very unsteady and unpredictable it would serve me better to shoot some steel so i set up at plate on a fence post at the edge of the property (378 yards) and i spent quite a few rounds banging steel. the last picture was the only reason i came away from the day smiling it was a 4X6 firld flag i had sticking off the top of the fencepost to judge the wind gusts. After i got bored banging the plate i decided that it was possible to hit this flag so i tried a few (12) times and hit it 3 if you look hard you can see the third shot at the very top edge. I was rather proud of myself for hitting a moving target in gusty wind at 378 yards the first time i ever shot longer distances.

Attached Files:

2. jbshoots

jbshoots New Member

for those distances with unpredictable wind gusts i would be happy with those results.

just think, if you practice a lot on the windy plains and can stay that close to target when you finally get a chance to shoot on a calm day you will be wailing on that bullseye.

nice shootin and it looks like you had some fun.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's great shooting considering the wind. :D

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I see NRA F class (TR) looming on your horizon. You obvioulsy have a god given nack for reading wind, especially on your first time out at long range.

As you go further out these come quite more than handy. http://www.nkhome.com/ww/4500.html

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Very good shooting,especially with those windy conditions.

6. Hot Sauce NARC

Hot Sauce NARC New Member

thanks guys

As you go further out these come quite more than handy. Kestrel 4500 Pocket Weather Tracker – Nielsen Kellerman[/QUOTE]

that looks like a sweet piece of kit and id love to have one i might try to find a used one for cheap on ebay. Until then the weather channel app on my phone works pretty good for now

7. crackshot

crackshot New Member

And that flag will never bother anyone ever again...

Good shootin'! :D