Range Report: PSA & Plum Crazy

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ScottA, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

So I finally got my PSA Plum Crazy hybrid to the range today. Shot about 150 through it. I was shooting iron sights (MBUS) at 25, 50, 100, and 180 yards. Below are the results from 100 and 180, 18" targets. I can certainly hit the broad side of the barn, but I'll need to look at a decent optic before too long.

The gun cycled fine with Remington brass and Herters steel.

Attached Files:

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Cool, how did it feel. Did it balance well?

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good to hear of another new build working well! PSA does seem to be the real thing. I will be interested to hear how the lower holds up over time.

4. ScottA

I was shooting of a bench with a bipod. Can't tell much on the balance. Besides, my left arm is maybe at 70% from last years accident, so I'm not going to be the best judge of being too nose-heavy.

I was expecting more recoil considering the composite lower. But there wasn't much to speak of.

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sorry to hear about the injury. Does it seem to be healing correctly?

Throw a good comp on it and it'll really stay flat.

6. ScottA

I lost about 12 degrees of extension. I'm primarily concerned with strengthening at this point.

Good idea. I'll have to throw an Ace or something in the shooting bag. I assume you were referring to a compression sleeve.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Compensator but a compression sleeve or some sort of bandage might help as long as you don't get it to tight.

8. ScottA

I'll look into that.

9. ScottA

I have pretty well determined there are two things I would like to change on the rifle.

#1 I don't care for the trigger. I haven't measured it, and I suspect it may be close to mil-spec. There's not a great deal of travel to it, but I wouldn't describe it as breaking... more like crunching.

Anyone have any recommendations on good trigger groups?

#2 The charging handle is down right a pain. I want to get something that doesn't feel like it's cutting into my fingers every time I pull on it. Suggestions would be appreciated on this as well.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Trigger: Are you mostly shooting from a bench?

CH: BCM/VLTOR mod 4 Gunfighter. The best on the market, period.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I second the BCM/Vltor Gunfighter Model 4 charging handle. For comfort and strength this has the middle size finger latch but you could go with the Model 3 if you want even larger.

For triggers we need to know more what you're looking for and price.

12. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Plus 3 although I went with the model 3 but my next build will be a 4, the 3 is great but it tends to poke you when using a sling ha