Range report for the Howa 1500 chambered in .308

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by opaww, Feb 15, 2009.

1. opaww

opaww New Member

Range report for the Howa 1500 chambered in .308

Took the rifle out this morning to the range, I got there early and no one was there so I set up and got my target ready. The temp was a crisp 38 deg. And had a light crosswind of about 3 mph.

Fired the first round and everything functioned fine for a new rifle never fired. I hit the target 5” low and 3” to the right. Taking a second shot just to make sure it was not me I hit 5” low and 2” to the right. After adjusting the sight I fired a round It hit center and to the rights ½” next shot was dead on. I fired the next 5 groups of 2 shots were all with in 1/2 “ and one of them was part in the other hole.

The rifle functioned so smooth and felt great to shoot. I can honestly say I am pleased with the rifle. Now if I could just shoot worth a dam I would be happy. It got down right cold while I was out and could not work the hands nor control the rifle well so I called it a day and will go back as soon as I have a far day the really shoot.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sounds like a nice morning there opaww. Good, short barrel break in and looks like your results were good. A little fine tuning with the scope and the rounds and you should be dumping 10 rings all day. :D

JD

3. tuck2

tuck2 New Member

Save your empty brass, and think about reloading some 165 Gr bullets using Varget or W 748 powder. The 308 Win is one fine round that makes small groups from a good rifle.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations on good shooting with a fine rifle and some time well spent.