Range report for .300 Win. Mag. Remmy

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by mrm14, Sep 30, 2010.

1. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Finially have a target or two to post in range report area here.

100 yard zero 1017.2010 001.jpg
    This is target of 100 yard zero. 5 rounds that look like 3 holes. Not too bad.

200 & 300 yard target 001.jpg
    This is 7 rounds or so each at the 200 yard and 300 yard line. Dope was off a bit for elevation so POI's wandered a little as I was correcting for elevation. Wind was between 4 and 7 mph from left.

2. M14sRock

M14sRock Active Member

Great shooting!

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very nice indeed. That is a sweet shooting rifle for sure, but you make it sing.

4. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Well CA, to be honest the rifle still and will for a long time out shoot me. In this long range shooting I got myself into I still consider myself a rank newb. I should have some more time, through the end of the year, to go to more practice sessions and get sorly needed trigger time to correct some of my shooting errors. Positional and trigger techniques are what I need to concentrate on mostly. Regardless, what little time I've had to shoot, since the rifle was finished, has been alot of fun.

5. CA357

It's still damn good shooting.

6. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

So CA, when will your Eddystone be ready for another outing?

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

8. CA357

I stripped the finish and will coat the steel bits this weekend. The stock is finished and re-bedded. So, it will be just a bit of a wait for the epoxy finish to fully cure at this point. Takes about two weeks to fully harden.

How about if we try to meet up around the end of the month if you don't have a match?

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

No, I just have a practice session tomorrow the 2nd at the 1000 yard range and don't plan on anything until November. So, we should be good to go. Just give me a heads up a few days in advance. Also, I'll work a "Come Up" sheet and will PM you for some info later for that. I think after you get your 100 yard zero I like to go over to the 300 yard range and verify and correct for drop at least for that distance.

10. CA357

That sounds excellent. I really need to learn longer distance shooting. Rifles aren't my strong suit and I want/need to get better.

11. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

That is great pictures and shooting!!!:)

12. chops

chops New Member

i was next to that beast on the practice day and that muzzlebrake thumps, got showered by gravel a couple of time. very nice looking rifle.

chops

13. lkd

lkd New Member

I shot a 3-gun match this weekend with my Steyr AUG -- the last stage was rifle only and had 5 targets at 3 yds, 3 targets at 200 yds, and 3 targets at _500_ yds!!

As a matter of fact, yes, I completely missed the 500 yard targets, even with a 1-4x scope. You can't have a spotter, so you just have to do a lot of hope-and-pray, and an AUG isn't what I'd call the best platform for 500 yard shots.

14. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Hey, you were in lane 12, I was in lane 11, and the guy with the .338 Lapua Barrett was in lane 10. The percussion off that brake on that Barrett was nearly pushing me towards the right towards your lane every time he touched one off. Maby I'm a sick puppy, but I kinda' liked it.:D The RO mentioned to me at either the 500 or 600 yard line about my brake and although I didn't beleive him, I did make an effort after that to get the muzzel of the rifle over the berm off the gravel from there on in. It seemed to be fine after that. I still think it was that .338 Barrett though.

Something about my brake is that Dale at Elite Iron who made the brake said that it eliminated the pressure wave in front of the bullet as it exits the barrel much better than other brakes and possibly this is why this thing really throws off such a blast of wind. I'm behind the damn thing and can say I don't really notice it. And, you should have shot next to me in April of this year when I had the Fox River untimed brake on it. All I can say is that it was total gravel shower time for not only both shooters each side of me but for myself as well. That brake was digging trenches in the dirt. I only did that once and that brake is in my fishing tackle box now.:D

15. chops

chops New Member

its all good, its the nature of the game. that barrett is something else. day of the match he was on the end, dont know how he did. its always a good time out there with those guys.

chad