Range Report- Colt Commander 38 super

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by Jo da Plumbr, May 20, 2009.

1. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Range Report Colt Commander 38 super

I mentioned to a friend I had a 45 on order, and he said he had an old 45 he’d like to sell. I went and looked and it turned out to be a Colt Commander in 38 super. The gun was bought new by my friend’s father in law and kept for home defense. It’s doubtful that the Colt has had 500 rounds through it in its whole life. My friend was given the gun eight years ago after his father in law passed and has never fired it. I cleaned it, test fired it, and had it appraised at $600.00. I bought it for $500. 00 since I really didn’t want a 38 but hey, it was a deal!

Here is the report.

Gun

Colt Commander 38 super

Ammo

American Eagle 130 gr +P FMJ

Distance

21 feet

Attached Files:

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

As you can see I need more range time!:eek:

By the way I was looking at new grips. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Nice looking pistol you picked up! I'd personally go with the wodden grips, but that's just me. i've often played with the idea of getting a 38 super but never have. It's not exactly cheap to shoot and iv'e already got several 357s and 9, couldn't find a spot for it.

4. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Try a set of Hogue Combats, I love mine. If you don't like them, you're only out $20 and you could probably sell them to another forum member at a small loss.

How's the .38 Super compare to a 9mm or .45 recoil and flip wise?

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I have a 9mm almost identical in size and shape, and was surprised at how much more power the 38 super has; with less flip. Keep in mind I had +P ammo, but was still impressed. In fact I think the 38 super +P was as powerful as the range reloads in 45.

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Thirty ebay minutes to go and that first set of rosewood grips are on my new Colt.

:D:D:D

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Jo, what changed between the two targets?

There is a distinct lateral shift in the two.

Different grip, hand?

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Over compensation by the shooter.:mad:
    thanks

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Maybe my daughter should give you a lesson in shooting!

Oh shit, what the f*** am I saying??????

Never mind Jo, nice shooting!

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

What time should I pick her up?

:D:D:D

11. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

New 38 super owner

Hay Jo, I am about to get a Colt 38 super. The first one I have ever had. I fell in love with it the first time a saw it. I was interested in the grip issue. Can I get grips fro a full size 1911 and put them on my 38 super. Will they fit and not create any problem? Also keep you eye on the front sight and press the trigger;).

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Jo - That is a nice addition to the home arsenal and a good price. Pretty good write up for the Range Report section, but I would like to see some conclusions at the end.

What did you think of your new purchase? How did you enjoy the 38 Super? What purpose would this gun serve in the future? Overall is this one you will keep, or trade down the line?

Thanks for the write up - a little range time later and you will be shooting that "X" ring out I am sure...

JD

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Government 5" and Commander 4.25" wear the same size stocks. The Officer Model has a shorter grip and requires the shorter stocks.

A word of caution, Once your hand finds a good purchase, make a mental note and remember the thickness of the stocks.
    I have found three basic sizes; (thickness)
    1. Slims, which require you to change the bushings.
    2. Standard, the typical stocks found on today's production 1911s.
    3. Palm Swell, a contoured stock that is thicker in the center area (between the screws) and fills your hand up with gun.
    You will spend as much time finding that perfect stock as you did finding that perfect 1911!

Fortunately, this search will not cost you a ton of money.

Some of the best stocks available today can be found right here on the FTF.

Check out Sarge43's How about a nice grips thread?

or: The Finer Grain Home Page

You want answers to your 1911 grip questions? Send Sarge43 a PM. We're all bush league compared to him!

14. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Cane gave you the 1911 grip tutorial already. He gave me the same low down when I was grip hunting. He also turned me on to EBay grip bids. I was patient and let several go by that got above my bid. If you have the patience the bidding is a lot of fun. Here is a link, and pictures of the Colt with the EBay adds. I think I payed $16 for the Rosewood.

eBay Seller: stagleaders: Sporting Goods items on eBay.com

Attached Files:

15. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

What purpose would this gun serve in the future?

Damn dude, you sound like my S.O.! It's a Colt 38 super, what more reason did I need? And I love it. Great size, lots of power, and looks good. Only drawback is the price of ammo.:eek:

And I don't sell or trade, I just buy a bigger safe.:D In fact I just got one that I really like. Going to have to buy more guns now.

As for the shooting skills, Cane is sending his daughter to give me lessons. We may go to the Range too.:rolleyes:

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

OUCH.............Junk Punch!

[​IMG]

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Oooohhhhh, you are going to be in trouble. But seriously, take pictures bro.... :D

18. Bigguns911

Bigguns911 New Member

Thanks much boys

Thanks for the links to the grip Q. I am very exited to get my hands on the colt. Only a few more days and it is mine. I got a hell of a good deal on it, $250.00 bones. It is an LE gun sale and I have looked it over, good shape. Thanks again for the info, Biggun911:rolleyes:

19. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

"The Officer Model has a shorter grip and requires the shorter stocks."

As a retired Senior Chief, I could not let that line pass without comment. :D

20. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very nice. A Colt Commander in .38 Super is a classic. Enjoy!