Range Reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by EOMFD, Aug 15, 2012.

1. EOMFD

EOMFD New Member

Hope this isn't a duplicate thread...if it is, my apologies, I didn't see the original.

Anyhow, I'd like to start reloading at the range, so I can make immediate changes, but I'm not sure what equipment would best be suited for reloading in that situation. Anyone mind sharing your setup at the range? Any input would be much appreciated.

For what it's worth, I'm not concerned with loading pistol ammo, more focused on long gun accuracy.

Thanks--

Taylor

2. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=37764/Product/Sinclair-Arbor-Press#

Sinclair also makes dies in just about any caliber, adjusting them requires calipers but having your gunsmith drop the reemer in the end of the barrel blank to make a seating depth gauge makes it easier. If this is what you were looking for. MM! you and your Mossboogers and Lee reloading stuff /sigh

Badshot

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

That Lee hand press that is in the first link is a great product. That is what I started reloading on. I still use it once in a while. It is nice to sit in front of the tv and prep brass.

4. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

Im assuming the man already reloads at home, im taking it as he wants quality portable equipment, not some Lee experimental, Fisher Price, pretend reloader. Dont be offended if thats what you use, they are fine if you only load 10 rounds a night.

Badshot

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Lol I sense a rock chucker fanboy ;) ;b lol

6. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

I have an old RCBS turrent press and a Lyman single stage set up inside the house, have a few Arbor presses I use at the range.

Badshot

7. tri70

tri70 New Member

I would use a portable table and mount the press using wing nuts for quick take down unless you want a permanent mount on something portable. I would build my own table for the best height and space needs.

8. EOMFD

EOMFD New Member

Thanks for the replies Gents, and my apologies about not getting back sooner. Thanks for all the advice. Is there any advantage to an Arbor press and Wilson dies, vs a Rock Chucker and standard dies? I would think the Wilson dies would produce more consistent ammo, but is it worth getting a whole new setup?

9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Wilson dies and an arbor press are the best choices for an"At the range setup",and I'd also suggest a Harrell premium powder measure.You can attatch a 1lb container of powder if you are using Hogdon or Accurate or the like.
    This isn't a cheap route,but it's about the best you'll find,and also the smallest reloading setup.

10. jrap

jrap New Member

i would say an rcbs partner or lee's $30 press bolted to a 2x6 so the bolts dont stick out the bottom would be good. my range has shooting tables so i can clamp it on.

11. EOMFD

EOMFD New Member

I do like the Sinclair arbor presses, but after looking at the Harrell powder measurers, do they really justify the price?! If I'm weighing every charge, as I'll do with these rounds, do I really need one that expensive? I'm all about spending money for quality, is it worth it? I don't have tables at my range, so I'd need something I don't really need to bolt down or clamp to something. Will I see marked improvements in accuracy with wilson dies over using my rockchucker at the house with standard RCBS dies? Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it.

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Yes,the Harrell powder dispenser's are the cream of the crop,and well worth the expense.
    The Wilson dies are Bench Rest quality dies,so I'd say they are better than standard dies.Will they make you or your gun shoot better-?

There are a couple guy's that shoot at the range I go to that have these set-ups.They are all competition shooters,and very good.They shoot custom built rifles,and most shoot ragged hole groups.

I personally can't see spending money on this type of set up.I go to the range to shoot,not load ammo.I load many different loads for testing before I go to the range,and write down the results in a log.

13. crazyWayne

crazyWayne New Member

Lyman #55 Is a real good one the other one is belding & mull they sell for $60-$80

14. crazyWayne

crazyWayne New Member

Belding & mull can be found on eBay.

15. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

Gent I shoot with has what I recall are 3 RCBS Jr presses bolted to a steel bar. One press has a resizer die, one holds a Lee Ram Primer, and other the bullet seater die. Also on the bar is a Harrell powder measure. He clamps this rig to one side of the bench he is shooting from and speedily works up loads for his rifles.

16. crazyWayne

crazyWayne New Member

If the cost is to high why buy it in the first place.

17. 1hole

1hole New Member

"Lol I sense a rock chucker fanboy ;b lol "

Yep. They're no harder to spot on the web than tracking a hippo across a sand dune.

Saying 'what's best for range loading' isn't that simple. It matters what your range consists of, do you have shelter or not, benches or not, how stable are the benches, etc. And what accuracy your rig - and you - are capabile of. Most guys are well served with a Lee hand press and the other tools for their choice. Having a cardboard box large enough to contain the powder scale outta the wind is good too.

18. crazyWayne

crazyWayne New Member

No I have Hornaday lock and load set up single stage & ap