Range night is so much fun.

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by CMAB2SA, Feb 28, 2020.

1. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

Vote pro 2A again this year.

We can't tolerate any more infringements. 20200228_192749.jpeg

2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice grouping OP!!!;)

This is exactly why I get out and shoot (train) as much as I can.In fact, I was out yesterday to draw down my reload numbers. Gotta get back on the press, Pronto!!!:D

CMAB2SA and W.T. Sherman like this.

3. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

yes, very nice grouping:)

what distance where you shooting at?

CMAB2SA likes this.
  4. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

21 feet. 40 rnds center 10 rounds top left.

towboater likes this.
  5. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

that is pretty good shooting :). I've been to the range where guys put the target 3-5 feet out, :rolleyes:

then pat each other on the back about what great groupings they got :confused::rolleyes:o_O

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Sniper03 and CMAB2SA like this.
  6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Nice shooting. I should practice closer up myself. Im always shooting at 25 yards and out.

CMAB2SA likes this.
  7. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

I do shoot further distance also mostly when outside. But missing is bad for concealed carriers. Unlike bad people, we are held accountable for every bullet that leaves the chamber.

So to me consistant solid groups at 15 to 35 feet goes a long way to putting rounds on target in a concealed carry defensive gun situation.

Of course it would be better to practice under stress. Hitting paper in a sterile environment is fun and discharging a firearm is addicting and a great stress relief for me.

PaBushMan likes this.
  8. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

We've started doing point-and-shoot, no-aim drills. The idea is that if you can't hold the gun still there's no point in aiming. So we concentrate on repetition and consistency in that regard.

And having and maintaining a proper grip on it.

I shot groups like that doing mag dumps at 5 and 7 yards, but I have to do head shots because I'd be shooting the floor otherwise with the target up close. That leaves the body for the wife. She needs more practice, and maybe she can work up to mag dumps.

It's also more in line with how we'd handle a real-world situation.

I picked up a hundred B-27E targets just for this purpose.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    CMAB2SA likes this.
  9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I have some targets with 1” circles that I use for “fundamentals”.

I can run them at 3 or 5 yards early in a session to see if I need to adjust, grip, trigger finger placement, trigger press, and concentrate on my sight focus. Goal is to run 10, 1” circles with 5 shots in each one and keep them all inside the circle. Sounds easy, right?

First 5 rings I tried with this target, a few years ago.

[​IMG]

CMAB2SA likes this.
  10. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

Probably THE best advice for self defense shooting IMHO.

When I do point and shoot I am amazed at how all shots are pretty much in the body mass with in 15 feet or so and I give full credit to that accuracy because of my aim and shoot practice.

Either way that was an excellent post!

11. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

Does not sound easy but certainly a fun challenge. Thanks for the info. I will try this.

12. Leftyfixit

Leftyfixit Member

I practiced shooting in semi darkness at my local range to be ready. Just think in a self defense situation, You are probably being awakened by an armed intruder in your home or car, it's dark outside and you have Maybe 2 seconds to react to save your life and the life of your family. Good luck.

13. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Thanks, but it came from a video someone posted recently. I couldn't tell you who or where, but it made a lot of sense. So now we're learning a different way. We'll still do the aiming thing, but we have a broader understanding of what we do and why.

CMAB2SA likes this.