Range etiquette

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by texaswoodworker, Apr 24, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I just started using a new range, and I have a few questions.

1. Is it ok to just leave your target up when you leave? There are no posted rules about this, and everyone seems to do it.

2. When you are done for the day, and want to either get, or see your target (at least 100 yard walk just to get to it), do you call a cease fire, or wait until someone else doe it. (in other words, is it rude to stop everyone from shooting just so you can see your target?) (also know that I am not use to a public range like this)

thanks.

2. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I'm not a fan of public ranges. But I'll try to answer your questions;

1. Be responsible and pick up after yourself. Just because everybody else leaves their trash doesn't make it ok.

2. You are sharing the public range with other shooters. Try and call a cease fire that is fair for everybody. If another shooter is shooting, wait until they stop.

3. texaswoodworker

Thanks.

The funny thing about #1 is that the first time I went, they had this old piece of plywood about 50 yards out. It was completely covered in old targets, so I just stuck mine in the middle. Well, after I finished shooting, I took a peak behind it and guess what I saw. Absolutely nothing. There was actually a HUGE hole in the plywood, and the only thing holding my target up was the old targets. :D
    They have since cleaned the range, so the plywood backers are not covered in paper yet. I'll be sure to clean up after myself.

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

1. Agreed. Additionally, if you have unused targets, pull them and if you no longer want them, see if any of the remaining shooters might want them.

2. I would add, wait a reasonable amount of time then politely ask for a ceasefire, if needed. Some people can be pretty wrapped up in their own little world, and may not notice you.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

When I go to a range I clean up all my brass, and target debris, as a courtesy I try to clean up as much as possible from other people too. Someone has to clean it up, might as well help out.

6. readygirl

readygirl New Member

1. At the range i go to, you have to take your used targets, and target stand with you. Most people use real estate signs, you can just stick them in the ground at whatever yardage you intend to shoot. Dont want to know where all those real estate signs came from LOL... I got mine at a garage sale

2. I have a cheapo tasco spotting scope. Works real good at 100yrds. I check shot placement with it, the range master calls a cease fire about every 20 min, so everyone can go downrange and check, or change targets.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

1. - Local range we use, it is required to remove the target unless the next one to that position says to leave it.

2. - We usually fire for 10 minute intervals and cease fire is called, weapons are checked and cleared and the range goes cold. Unless there is an situation, i.e. accident or low flying aircraft / helo from nearby airport.

8. barneygoogle

barneygoogle New Member

My outdoor range has chicken wire so you just take some clothes pins. When I go to the public range, I try to make some rules with the shooters, and then put my targets up. A good spotting scope will make everyone happy.
    I put a tarp down to catch my brass.

9. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

I put up my right handed screen so my brass doesn't go flying at the person in the lane next to me. Before each session calls a cease fire (each session lasts about 15-20 mins.) I'll preload my magazines, then when the line goes hot again I'll have my fiancée hop on the line. While she's shooting I'll sweep up my general area, dump brass and load up the next set of magazines. Keep it moving, keep it clean. And I grab my target before we leave, I've actually had the range officer(s) tell me to leave them before, kinda threw me off, but hey, it's their range.

10. texaswoodworker

lol, probably the biggest thing I worry about at the range is someone calling a cease fire, and me either not noticing, or hearing it. :D

I don't worry about leaving brass, I always collect mine, and any other that may be left regardless of caliber. lol, either I'll eventually get a gun in that caliber and reload, or I will trade it for brass I need. ;)

I'll have to look into that spotting scope. That 100 yards seems a lot farther way when you have to go over rocky land with a lot of high weeds. We don't have a range officer, so your pretty much in charge of the cease fires.

LMAO. I'll be sure to watch out for those pesky planes. :D

We just use plywood boards. You have to either use the self stick kind, or bring pins.

11. texaswoodworker

Our range is usually pretty empty (most I have ever seen was about 10-15 people and most of them were boyscouts or something, and they only took up half of the range. The rest of the time, there is only 1-3 people there.), so I haven't had to worry about that yet. I'll be sure to use a screen, or shoot somewhere that I won't hit anything with the spents. thank.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it was a lot of help.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Get yourself a cheap stapler for your range bag. Each range can be a bit different. Ours uses plywood backers, covered in a hearty layer of targets. About every 3-6 months, the shot up plywood and accumulated targets gets pulled, and recycled thru the range shack stove.

When I am shooting 17 HMR, I use a 9 panel Dirty Bird target- when I put up 3 of those, that is 27 sets of 5 round groups- a lot of shooting. I will let other nearby shooters know if THEY need a cold range to pull targets, and I am still shooting- SAY something to me!

If I need to go downrange for something, I try to wait until nearby shooters reach the end of a magazine, and ask for a cold line.

13. texaswoodworker

That's EXACTLY how my range is. (well, was. They cleaned it last week.) How well can you see those dirty bird targets from 100 yards? 50? (my eye sight isn't the best)

14. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

About range etiquette.... We were shooting at the range one day and my friend was shooting his Barrett M82-A1, and this guy comes over and starts picking up all the .50 cal brass to take. My buddy turned around and cussed him out real good for that one.

15. texaswoodworker

Heck, I'd probably give someone hell over my 30-06 brass, let alone .50 BMG. How much is the brass alone? $1 each? $2? I'd never take someones brass without asking. Usually, I just take what they leave.

16. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

On that note. The local gravel pit is where all the college kids shoot. They never keep their brass, and every time I go, I get a ton of 30-06,30-30,223, .45 9mm, etc. anyone know the best way to make money off all this brass, short of reloading it myself?

17. texaswoodworker

Gunbroker, other gun auction sites, local ads, ect. There is also a stick in the reloading forum where you can trade it for other types of brass (if you reload). How much 30-06 do you have? I might take a little off you hands if the price is right. :D

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I'll have to count it up. Pm me sometime with a reminder. 30-06 I'd guess a few dozen off the top of my head. I have finals coming up, then I'm shipping out may 5th, so it's a busy week, plus I work 2 jobs. So I might forget. But yeah, I'd work with you on that.

19. texaswoodworker

Sweet, thanks. I'll pm you in a few day if I haven't heard anything.

20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Dirty Birds are mainly black. a .17 HMR makes a white 3/8ths in dot. Shoot-n-c targets do same thing, but have green at center, then yellow, then red out in the 1-2 rings.

Birchwood Casey USED to do free samples- try this: http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/ContactUs.aspx

You still need a spotter, but it is a LOT easier with these.