Range etiquette for reloaders?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JD1969, Aug 1, 2012.

1. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Recently I started to get into reloading, I am curious as to how all of you collect your spent brass. In my revolvers, it's a no brainer but with my autos I am just wondering if it is ok to search for my brass on the floor, or do you guys consider it lost. The range I go to can get busy, and I don't want to hold up others or get in the way. The floor is almost always covered in shells, they really don't sweep much. Thanks for the help.

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

sorry i cant help ya. most the time my range is pretty bare. on th eoff chance there is some one else. i just police the brass when they go to set or check targets.

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I pick it all up.... Good is kept \ traded, the bad goes in the scrap bin...

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

You obviously don't shoot 460 Rowland or 458SOCOM!

Your brass is yours. If someone says different, take your business (and your brass) elsewhere.

5. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I police the range and keep everyone's brass near me. Of couch I ask them first. But most don't keep it. The range does keep it but they said while I am on range I can keep it.

6. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

The range I go to is run by some OK people, I don't think they have any problems with me keeping MY brass, but with my autos the brass tends to fly around a bit, and being a new reloader, I don't know what people do, before I reloaded, I never kept brass. I'm not sure how they feel about me picking up other peoples brass, I'm sure the range keeps it and sells it or the guys that work there pick it over and keep what they want.

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Keep most of your own brass.
    I bought one of these:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SBBCJC/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
    If you get it set up correctly, it's good for around 80%. The rest will bounce off the rim and land around your feet. And, yes, I know it's overpriced. It's gone up since I bought it. Some enterprising person could probably rig up something similar with an aquarium net.
    As for collecting "Bonus" brass, my regular range didn't have a problem until some guy went in with a 5 gallon bucket and did nothing but shovel the brass into it. Different ranges will have different policies. When in doubt, ask. For the most part, if you don't get silly you shouldn't have any problem.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

i dont go to ranges that insist my property is theirs. if they want to give me ammo to shoot they can keep the brass or if they wish to pay market price for my brass. if i bring my own i keep it.

if you want to know the range rules on brass ask the range management. it is rude to take other people's brass without asking.

what i do is sweep up all brass in the general area mine is landing if im not using a brass catcher pick mine out and offer the other folks theirs. most of the time they just give it to me. a surprising number of folks dont reload and are paying way more for ammo than they need to.

9. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

JD, you might consider a brass catcher for your range shooting such as this. There are also handheld ones that are universal because they don't attach to the gun, or this standing option. If keeping your brass is important to you, then this is an alternative, and also good if you shoot in grass and rough terrain.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any range that is worth a damn will certainly allow you to lick up your own brass. Mark the base with a colored magic marker to prove it is yours.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't reload but I do collect spent brass at the range to eventually give to someone who reloads or to recycle the brass. I always ask those around me if I can pick up their brass when I noticed they aren't going to. I pick it up but only when I won't be in anyone's way.

12. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

There is seldom people there when I go. I sweep up all the brass in my area. I only take what I've shot.

13. xcoreyyyx

xcoreyyyx New Member

Mainly I just pick up my brass as well as under empty tables. If people are there I always ask to see if they are going to pick up their stuff and if not they are usually like "go ahead and get everything." If you are shooting benchrested I would suggest something like the attached image. I have seen similar versions of this but it will catch all of your brass and make it easy for you to keep all of your brass and not have to rummage around on the floor looking for it hoping not to pick up other peoples brass. Just turn it on its side and maybe place something with a little weight inside so it will not just blow away or fall off the table.

Attached Files:

14. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

My homemade brass catcher for my AR is a Crown Royal bag. Works pretty good and will hold about 100 rounds before I have to empty.

15. 51colt

51colt New Member

When i am shooting Mini 14 from a bench i lay a hand towel over my scope my brass stays in neat little pile on my bench.

16. clem_

clem_ New Member

I pick mine all up I tell em before so they know.

17. hmh

hmh New Member

I was out on a public range doing some draw 3 shot holster drills and no sooner than I holstered was there this family ( mom dad 2 sons daughter) pocketing my brass.

18. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Well if you wanted it I would say thanks for getting my brass all picked up. Now hand it over.

19. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

I pick up so much pistol brass I do not even want to bring home anymore. I go to this indoor range in Merced California where the owners don't seem to care what you pick up. On a Saturday I have filled range bag with 15-20 pounds of brass. I consider it a fair trade because I recommend this range to everybody. The one thing I will not do is pick up brass around people while they are shooting because If I was in their shoes I would not want anybody distracting me while I'm shooting. I always wait till everybody pretty much leaves the range to start picking up brass.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  20. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I'll pick up my brass and any around it.
    When I used to shoot at an indoor range, I used the push broom to draw all brass back over the firing line. Using safe methods I have never had a word said to me.

I will not take the time to do any sorting at the range.
    I find that I can use most of the calibers found at most ranges.
    Again, I have never had a range tell me to stop.