Range Building Advice?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, May 13, 2013.

1. JW357

JW357 New Member

So, when I buy my new house sometime in the next couple months, my goal is to get 2+ acres of land. This will either be in Southern Kalifornia (unfortunately), Or maybe in North Carolina.

I'm going to try to build my own outdoors shooting range. The wifey already signed off on it (she's a keeper). Do any of you have an general advice? Especially in terms of keeping the cost down. I'm thinking primarily a pistol range, but if I can I might push it out to 100-200 yards for rifles. So, thoughts?

2. leschrn

leschrn New Member

Make sure you check the local laws for having a range. I don't think that 2 acres is going to be enough even for pistol.

3. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

What leschrn said.

No idea, but would definitely research how/what you're going to use to stop whatever caliber you're shooting from going down range a mile or three. Always got to consider worst case scenario.

Would be sweet to have your very own range!

4. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Remember , can not use your Liberal neighbors as a back-stop..! :D

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I doubt you will be able to build any firing range on 2 acres. You will have a problem with zoning and home owners insurance. The lack of a range "Buffer" area makes you a candidate for a major litigation. :eek:

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah I plan on looking up all the local laws when it's definite where I'll be.

I was thinking of renting an excavator and digging up a giant mound of dirt as the backrest for the pistol rounds. No idea yet about the rifle. Maybe another giant mound behind the target at 100 yards.

I have some ideas floating around my head, but I'm not sure about any of it yet. It all depends on how much land I can get.

7. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

I think the other posts above have worthy advice.
    Although if allowed, if there's some road construction in the area and you want to provide a free dump for concrete slabs, cover that with dirt and you might have a starting point for a barrier. But I'm not a ballistics or design expert.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

I really like this idea.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Having been directly involved in range construction projects make sure you check everything twice before spending money on the range. They can hit you with noise level, lead contamination relevance to school bus routes public roads etc. One stray bullet will be blamed on you regardless of the origin. :eek:

10. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Sounds interesting, if it is your own personal range I don't think any zoning needs to be taken into account. Out in the country in most places you can shoot stuff on your own property. Please update if you end up doing this. Maybe try but property with a hill on it or behind it?

11. AR10

AR10 New Member

Most places, if you are outside city limits, you can shoot all you want. Do so respectfully to not tick off your neighbors. Three in the morning would be bad.

If you are lucky, your neighbors shoot also.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

Interesting. What else should i look into? One thing I was thinking was distance behind target until the next house, or even the end of my property.

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

Absolutely. Complete with pics and all. Just so you all know, it'll be prolly close to a year before I get started on it. So don't get your hopes up for anything anytime soon.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

A good start would be to talk with the range section of the NRA. If you are in a housing development, not gonna happen. Would also point out that a square acre is about 209 by 209, so a range that is a "couple of hundred yards long" on 2 acres may not be a reality.