Range bags

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by FresnoDave, Jun 30, 2012.

1. FresnoDave

FresnoDave New Member

Need info on a good range bag for my xd

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have searched high and low for that perfect range bag and wish I had all the cash I've spent in this pursuit!

I've tried them all from my leather Colt bag to the ballistic nylon Blackhawk stuff.

Here's what I found;

1. Don't go for pretty!
    2. Do go for high utility.
    3. Price is not a condition of utility or quality.
    4. Camouflage range bags are a source of endless jokes.
    5. Pink camouflage range bags can result in you dropping shooting as a sport! (Unless you're my daughter!)
    6. Listen to others suggestions or follow them in their mistakes.....or at minimum, the unnecessary waste of cash.

Technical Information: What I look for in a Competition Range Bag
    • Overall Dimensions: 22"L x 15"W x 10"H
    • 9 Total pockets: 7 on main bag - 2 on removable stage bag/ammunition carrier
    • 14 Total magazine pouches 1-1/2"L x 4-1/2"H 8 in rear compartment - 6 in stage bag/ammunition carrier
    • Fired brass carrying bag 5" Diameter 6"H with cinch top, reinforced mesh bottom and chrome plated steel clasps
    • Heavy duty 2"W x 52"L removable carrying strap with shoulder pad and chrome plated steel clasps
    • Full wrap around carrying straps with 5" strap connector/handle with hook and loop closure
    • External ID pocket
    • 2 Non-slip stabilizing pads 2" x 5" on bottom of bag
    • Main compartment 17"L x 10"W x 10"H
    • Includes:
    • 2 removable padded pistol rugs with zippers 8-1/2"H x 12"W fit most large frame semi-auto pistols and revolvers with barrels up to 6"
    • Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier with carrying handles for portability 15"L x 5"W x7-1/2"H
    • Removable stage bag/ammunition carrier features:
    • 2 Padded zippered pockets 7-1/2"H x 15"L
    • 2 Padded moveable hook and loop equiped compartment walls
    • 2 Chrome plated steel D-rings for quick attachment of the carry strap
    • Full wrap-around nylon handles
    • Front compartments - 2 Padded zippered pockets 8"L x 2"W x 8"H
    • Right side compartment - 1 Padded zippered pocket 8"L x 2"W x 8"H with 5 internal elastic accessory holders 1-1/4"W x 2-1/2"H
    • Left side compartments - 1 Padded zippered pocket 4"L x 2"W x 8"H and 1 padded beverage holder with drain hole
    • Rear compartment - 1 Padded zippered pocket 8"L x 2"W x 16"W which features:
    • 8 magazine pouches
    • Internal padded pocket 8"L by 15-1/2"W
    • 12 various sized internal elastic accessory holders designed to hold brushes, jags etc for calibers from 50 down to 17

If you agree with my range bag criteria I can save you a lot of time and money:

[​IMG]

MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag - MidwayUSA

All you need to do is pick the color you want.

Need more info to convince you? Read the customer feed-back.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

^^^ what he said there. Although he did forget to mention the cup holder.

4. yayamamasami

yayamamasami New Member

Canebrake is a wealth of knowledge!! My hats off, cane! I just live and learn (and carry two range bags cos the first was too small!!) and a toolbox for my tools and spare parts. One bag is red and black and the other is black, both off brand. My wife has a pink range bag as well. It's like going on a week long vacation when we go shooting. We need a dolly to carry all our crap, it seems. Oh, and two .50 cal ammo cans full of .45ACP, .380ACP, .308 and 12 gauge shells!!!

5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have a pink camo range bag. What's wrong with that, Cane? I also have another range bag that is suddenly too small as I've acquired more guns. And Yayamamasami, I have just started using a cart/dolly to carry my 'stuff' to the range. I'm "older" and the bags are too darned heavy for me.

6. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Where did you find the pink one? My lady would love that

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Visits your local office supply store for a laptop bag. The kind with 2 wheels and a pull up handle. All sorts of compartments, zippers, and yes, a cup holder. You can carry it or pull it, and price is usually less than a range bag.

Advantage- it does not LOOK like a range bag. Just be sure you do not grab it by mistake on your way to the airport.

http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?regionId=7&sku=TBR003US&PageName=Cases & Bags for Laptops by Targus USA&productCategoryId=5&bucketTypeId=0&searchedTerms=&navlevel1=products&cp=&bannertxt=Cases %26 Bags for Laptops

8. Puff

Puff New Member

9. kycol

kycol New Member

Cain thanks for this post, I just ordered this bag on sale $49 in olive drab, I was going to get a tan one but I'll take olive to save $30

Now I can't wait for it to get here I grabbed a couple mags too

10. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

What Cane said! MidWay USA all the way. Less $ for all you need and more!

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have bought two of the Midway branded pistol cases w/ the mag pockets on the outer side and two zippered pockets on the oppisite side. great bags. MidwayUSA has there own line of range gear and if their range bags are anywhere as good as my pistol cases, i say buy them. excellent products, very good service, decent prices and fast shipping. Midway rocks!

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

No silly, the cup holder goes on the gun!

[​IMG]

13. Longrange

Longrange New Member

I have the large Midway bag, holds everything I need. Pistols have their own hard case and 2 ammo cans. Its alot of stuff but all I need.

14. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I just use my free NRA bag and a ammo can. Guns go in cases. But the bag is not very good for all the stuff I have. (but it was free).

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

+1 for the midway range bag.

16. trex1310

trex1310 New Member

+2 for the Midway range bag.

17. Olympus

Olympus New Member

+1000 for the Midway bag. Bought one for my old man for Christmas and liked it so much that I bought myself one. I can get 6 pistols, 500 rounds of centerfire ammo, 1000 rounds of 22 ammo, and two sets of headphones without any problem. You can easily put more in the bag than you can comfortably carry.

18. kycol

kycol New Member

I got my bag today it is great, loaded it up and it is amazing all you can do.

19. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

I've had a few different "range bags", and they either didn't carry everything that I take with me, or they ripped. I ended up dropping around $70-$75 on an Under Armour bag from Sports Authority a couple years ago, haven't had a problem since. And I bring some stuff with me that some wouldn't, just to be safe and ready no matter what may come at me. Holds everything I need, and it is really strong, I want to say its actually a baseball gear bag, but the room that it offers, the pockets, the quality of the finished product is great and I couldn't be more pleased. Especially since it has a lifetime warranty.

EDIT: I was wrong about the price, it was only $50(ish). Crappy pics, but I don't feel like breaking out a point and shoot or my DSLR. So iPhone pics with a flash will have to do.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  20. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I bought a rolling tool bag for like $50 and its defenitly big enough. Its about the size of a big duffle bag and holds everything i need. I usually carry 500 rounds of .357 and 500 rounds of 9mm and 500 rounds of .38 and 1000 rounds of .22 plus 500 rounds of 7.62 will all of my magazines loaded. Six Ak mags loaded and five loaded magazines for my Glock.All my cleaning supplies, glasses, ear plugs, targets and my pistols that im not carrying. It weights alot loaded but it has sturdy wheels and rolls just fine. I wouldnt want to carry it but it will defenitly work for what ever you need. Im guessing with it full of the ammo and everything else it weights 80-100 lbs. I will post the brand name when i get home.