Range bag help

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by F150DVR, Oct 29, 2010.

1. F150DVR

F150DVR New Member

So I got a range case the other day and here’s the problem, all I have in it is my Sig 226 40s&w. I’m new to rage shooting and I need to know what I should put in it besides ammo and earplugs. Any tips and suggestions like what type of ammo, earplugs and so on is much appreciated. I want this thing to be decked out so I’m going on a mini shopping spree at the local gun store; Impact Guns Home(you can win a gun if you got to impacts website). Remember I’m relatively new to this and I don’t want to look like an idiot when I go in there.[​IMG]

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

My range bag has a bunch of crap in it like a pocket cleaning kit, little squeeze bottles of oil, tools like a pocket knife, needlenose pliers & screwdrivers, spare gun parts like springs & extra mags for what I'm shooting, some rags, and anything else I think will come in handy...

3. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

when it comes to pistol shooting, I don't really have alot in my range bag. Glasses, something to wipe the lense of the glasses with, a chamber flag as my range requires them during cease fires, even on pistols, hearing protection, a zip lock baggy for collecting brass as I reload all of my ammo, the pitol, and the ammo. That's about it. Now when I head to the rifle range, then I have alot more stuff to bring.

4. Squirrel_Slayer

Oh yeah, I keep a bore snake handy and a few tools necessary to field strip the pistol. A little gun oil and a silicone cloth.

5. F150DVR

F150DVR New Member

I was contemplating weather or not i should keep a cleaning kit in there. I think I'll leave it out and put more ammo in it

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Ive got ammo, ear muffs, glasses, a rag to wipe the gun/parts, a rag to wipe my hands/face (it's hot in florida), a bag with some q-tips, gun oil, a pen or sharpie for marking targets, and a bore-snake if I'm shooting rifles.

-Fred

7. zero7one

zero7one New Member

Don't forget targets. You can get a package of 50 paper plates and some of the small colored round stickers for a few bucks. You can also print off an assortment of .pdf targets off from your home computer, and don't forget a stapler if your range does not have one. You may also want to consider a small first aid/trauma kit. Even if your range has one, it may not be properly stocked. Don't forget your cell phone to call 911 if you or someone else needs help. Some sort of baby wipe or material to clean your hands of lead before eating or drinking.

Hope that helps.

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Ya might also want to add a S&W MP9
    A Colt 1911 45
    and a Browning Buckmark 22lr.

Just a thought.:D

9. Squirrel_Slayer

If we are going that direction in range bag additions, I think a S&W Model 29 .44 mag would be a good idea to take with you to the range.

10. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

And maybe a wheelie like a Ruger 357:rolleyes:

11. Squirrel_Slayer

Ruger GP100, good choice.

12. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Put some damn cookies in that bag!!! :p :D

13. Hollander

Hollander New Member

Put an old towel in there to use as a mat for your guns. Keep them off the surface of whatever the range has.

14. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

Sorry, made a mistake and had to fix it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  15. redrover3569

redrover3569 New Member

I'm new at this too but I would definately have a small cleaning kit or at least a borebrush if your planning to go through a lot of ammo. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong:eek: but I remember reading something about semi-autos and chamber tolerances, something about the ammo casing fits tight in the chamber as acp ammo lacks a rim on the shell casing to stabalize it. To me that means powder buildup can cause the gun to jam. On a personel note I learned on my first time out, at least with my 45, that after about 50 rounds you have to give the barrel some time to cool or the gun will jam too.:rolleyes:

16. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Get a bigger range bag. Mine is a compact pistol kit in that stores everything in the handle...

17. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

What ever you put in your range bag is up to you. But remember to keep it simple. If you are lugging around a bunch of stuff just because you think you have to have it. You more then likely do not need it.

I carry the following in my range bag:

Small cleaning kit
    Screwdriver set
    Small hand towel
    Small hammer with brass punch
    targets
    tape and staple gun (extra staples)
    Glasses
    ear plugs and/or ear muffs
    Spare mags
    ammo
    Flashlight

in a American Eagle shooting bag.

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'm getting back into shooting after a long time away. A few lessons I've already learned:
    Tools: a decent set of screwdrivers or the like. I have a bit driver with a bunch of bits I bought specifically for range use. Allen set of some type. A small crescent wrench and needle nose pliers.
    Cleaning rod. I had a stuck case once and I had to have the range officers scrounge until they found one, no more of that.
    A few empty ziploc bags. I keep my brass & these are helpful for sorting. I would be willing to be that you can come up with other uses as well.
    Clean towel and/or rags.
    Pen, Pencil, Sharpie & a notepad of some sort.
    I carry a second bag (old kids bookbag) for various target related stuff (when needed). In it are my sandbag rests, a various targets, staple gun, Metal spinner target & a rubber mallet to pound it in with (beats using a rock).

19. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

In addition to the standard stuff, I have a pair of heavy duty clamps for clamping up my target, and a roll of tape. I also keep in there a sharpie marker.