Firearms Talk banner

54341 - 54360 of 54693 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I've had it with this POS Lenovo tablet!
I just went out out and bought a Acer laptop. Just the cheap Chromebook 315. Waiting for it to update and start.

I will still use this crapbox when I go to D. There I'm just sitting in a chair for 4 hours, it doesn't matter if it takes 30 minutes to start up.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
a few years back I was working in Tooele, Utah. I noticed that something off. when I figured it out, I told a bartender: nobody here is looking forward to anything in this life. they were all looking forward to heaven, but here: nothing. no plans, no dreams, no enthusiasm. just drifting along, going with the flow, putting in time. she was not from there, she did not have a problem with my observation, and she understood completely.

I realized last night, that's where I am now. no big game ( sports game, not African wildlife ), no vacation trip, no "when I get this off road vehicle running my address will be way out there". every day looks like every other day. I reckon time by the two days a week I go to my favorite restaurant for a bowl of soup and something to keep the cook employed. I rarely know what day it is.

43 years working in what are collectively known as "the national labs". you will never hear me say "the government wouldn't do a thing like that". you will never hear me mocking a conspiracy theory or theorist.

IMHO this universal ennui is the goal of the lockdowns. it's working.

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
a few years back I was working in Tooele, Utah. I noticed that something off. when I figured it out, I told a bartender: nobody here is looking forward to anything in this life. they were all looking forward to heaven, but here: nothing. no plans, no dreams, no enthusiasm. just drifting along, going with the flow, putting in time. she was not from there, she did not have a problem with my observation, and she understood completely.

I realized last night, that's where I am now. no big game ( sports game, not African wildlife ), no vacation trip, no "when I get this off road vehicle running my address will be way out there". every day looks like every other day. I reckon time by the two days a week I go to my favorite restaurant for a bowl of soup and something to keep the cook employed. I rarely know what day it is.

43 years working in what are collectively known as "the national labs". you will never hear me say "the government wouldn't do a thing like that". you will never hear me mocking a conspiracy theory or theorist.

Well, I mean, they lived in Tooele...
Raise your hand if you can pronounce that name of that city.
two cylinder motorcycles, 4 cylinder cars vibrate. Jeeps and baja bugs get bounced around
I guess I just don't worry about stuff coming loose.

Reactions: dango and Notrighty

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
too-WIL-uh
I'd have guessed tool-ee. Been to SLC. Been to Bonneville Salt Flats. Skipped right past Tooele. Kind of like Ely, in Nevada. Once was, driving by on the highway, before you'd recognize the name "Ely" flying by on the highway sign you'd see the next sign zip past showing "East Ely" ... and you're back in the wilderness.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
We went through there too as we were fleeing California. At highway speeds it was brief.

·
Premium Member
10,232 Posts
I'd have guessed tool-ee. Been to SLC. Been to Bonneville Salt Flats. Skipped right past Tooele. Kind of like Ely, in Nevada. Once was, driving by on the highway, before you'd recognize the name "Ely" flying by on the highway sign you'd see the next sign zip past showing "East Ely" ... and you're back in the wilderness.
That's how most people who are not from Utah pronounce it.
Hurricane and hurricane are also pronounced differently, don't ask me how that works. I blame the Mormons.
People also struggle with Duchesne and Mantua

·
Administrator
26,168 Posts
In West Virginia the place is Her-a-kin. And in PA it is Red-ding. I once watched a New Orleans underwriter struggle for 5 minutes with Albemarle and Botetourt VA.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
a couple tears back I spotted a young lady I worked with in Tooele, here in NM. I raised my glass and said "Tooele ( too ella ) with you, Sarah."

college boys did not grasp the fact that she was laughing when she said "Toole with you" back to me. huffing and puffing and chest inflating.

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
I have seen some towns where the now entering sign was the same on both sides.
A loooong time ago before California bypassed it with a highway there was a town called Cabazon. It was known for gambling and a speed trap which was a big source of income. The police were on commission and the Police Chief drove a Rolls Royce. You went from 65mph to 25 mph with no warning signs and you better be going 25mph or less when you crossed that sign. Similar to Searchlight NV.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
A loooong time ago before California bypassed it with a highway there was a town called Cabazon. It was known for gambling and a speed trap which was a big source of income. The police were on commission and the Police Chief drove a Rolls Royce. You went from 65mph to 25 mph with no warning signs and you better be going 25mph or less when you crossed that sign. Similar to Searchlight NV.
Monticello Utah too.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts

I guess I’m on the same page as you and Icke.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Our whole town is a 25 mph speedtrap

·
Administrator
34,291 Posts
I just saw a commercial for a “smart faucet”. You can link it to your Alexa and program it to fill the dig bowl, coffee pot, stock pot, fill the sink for washing dishes. In the bathroom, to fill the bathtub, etc. But you still need to bring the bowl, coffee pot, to the sink, right? So you carry the coffe pot to the sink, put it under the faucet and then instead of lifting your hand to turn the faucet on you say “Alexa, fill the coffee pot”. I think it’s a bit of a stupid idea.

54341 - 54360 of 54693 Posts