Firearms Talk banner

53781 - 53800 of 54607 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Y'all keep arguing about whiskey, just excuse me while I go drink some. I like bourbon, Irish, and scotch as long as it's decent I'll drink it.

·
Administrator
26,138 Posts
An Abbreviated History of Booze- by C3

Scotch was made of malted barley, dried over a peat fire. The Irish could not get enough barley, so they used barley and wheat. They were also using peat to heat and cook with, so they did not smoke their malted grain.

When the colonists wound up in Virginia, there was a profound shortage of peat and or barley. But there was a good supply of corn in Charles Cittie VA- the area around Berkeley Plantation. So in 1621, they malted their corn, fermented their mash, and distilled their whiskey in a pot still. Trying to improve the taste of some really potent popskull, they stored it in oak casks that had been charred on the inside. and THAT is the definition of Bourbon.

Thus was distilled the first Bourbon whiskey. In Virginia, NOT in Kentucky. At that time, there WAS no Kentucky- it would later be split off from Virginia.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I've been very lucky . Had a few close calls but haven't hit any yet .
What’s strange is these are the only animals she has encountered in civilization, I generally hit them with bullets in the woods.:p:p:p

Reactions: SRK97

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Two in two years, my wife’s Subaru Impreza must have had deer attractant smeared on it (or something)... The first one was a spike at 35 MPH, $5000+ damage, we ate him...:D
Second buck (a nice 3 point blacktail) totaled the car at 60 MPH, he was too messed up to eat. The tow truck driver declined to haul it out cuz he didn’t want to have to wash his truck...:eek::eek::eek:
I've been lucky, so far. 40+ years of driving, and a good dozen near-miss encounters with deer. But not a single strike.

Closest was a good-sized buck leaping down from the hillside onto the roadway not 20ft in front of me, as I approached in the car. He simply followed the headlights along the twisty, turning road. It was steep and narrow, with speed at ~30mph or so. He kept a foot or two off the bumper. Leapt off the drop-off to my left, soon after.

Had a pair of those "anti-deer whistles," once, that mount to the bumper or grille area. Had more encounters over the next couple of years, though that was probably coincidence.

Come to think of it, it's probably been 10yrs or more since I last saw one get close.

Always drive much more cautiously at "feeding" times, though. You never know.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I've been lucky, so far. 40+ years of driving, and a good dozen near-miss encounters with deer. But not a single strike.

Closest was a good-sized buck leaping down from the hillside onto the roadway not 20ft in front of me, as I approached in the car. He simply followed the headlights along the twisty, turning road. It was steep and narrow, with speed at ~30mph or so. He kept a foot or two off the bumper. Leapt off the drop-off to my left, soon after.

Had a pair of those "anti-deer whistles," once, that mount to the bumper or grille area. Had more encounters over the next couple of years, though that was probably coincidence.

Come to think of it, it's probably been 10yrs or more since I last saw one get close.

Always drive much more cautiously at "feeding" times, though. You never know.
Those things are deer attractors, proven Ineffective.

·
Premium Member
6,992 Posts
You probably shot mama
I try to avoid shooting does with fawns, even though they're old enough to be on their own just fine. I like the mythical and rare "old dry lone doe"

Somebody let their dog out today and it was running deer just short of biting legs. I thought about pulling the trigger on it but I just yelled at it and sent it home. The owner is the one that deserves the bullet, not the dog just feeding on old instincts.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Looks like the Arecibo radio telescope is now toast. Several of the remaining supports snapped.

Huge Puerto Rico radio telescope, already damaged, collapses @ Associated Press, 12/1/20.

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A huge, already damaged radio telescope in Puerto Rico that has played a key role in astronomical discoveries for more than half a century completely collapsed on Tuesday.

The telescope’s 900-ton receiver platform fell onto the reflector dish more than 400 feet below.

The U.S. National Science Foundation had earlier announced that the Arecibo Observatory would be closed. An auxiliary cable snapped in August, causing a 100-foot gash on the 1,000-foot-wide (305-meter-wide) reflector dish and damaged the receiver platform that hung above it. Then a main cable broke in early November.

The collapse stunned many scientists who had relied on what was until recently the largest radio telescope in the world.

“It’s a huge loss,” said Carmen Pantoja, an astronomer and professor at the University of Puerto Rico who used the telescope for her doctorate. “It was a chapter of my life.”

Scientists worldwide had been petitioning U.S. officials and others to reverse the NSF’s decision to close the observatory. The NSF said at the time that it intended to eventually reopen the visitor center and restore operations at the observatory’s remaining assets, including its two LIDAR facilities used for upper atmospheric and ionospheric research, including analyzing cloud cover and precipitation data.

The telescope was built in the 1960s with money from the Defense Department amid a push to develop anti-ballistic missile defenses. It had endured hurricanes, tropical humidity and a recent string of earthquakes in its 57 years of operation.

The telescope has been used to track asteroids on a path to Earth, conduct research that led to a Nobel Prize and determine if a planet is potentially habitable. It also served as a training ground for graduate students and drew about 90,000 visitors a year.

53781 - 53800 of 54607 Posts