Firearms Talk banner

53761 - 53780 of 54346 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
In a moment of senior "fog" I got Roadrunner and Wiley coyote confused. Wiley had the ACME anvil, not Roadrunner. Then, again, this IS 2020, so anything's possible.

As a lad, if someone even saw a deer, 'twas a reason to call the neighbors, be judged a liar at the coffee shop, or wish he'd had a camera. People argued over roadkills. Not today.

Missouri's deer hunting starts Sept. 15 (archery) and ends in January. Only squirrels and rabbits have longer seasons. Coyotes are fair game anytime with few exceptions. Our Conservation Commission's done an outstanding job of restoring deer and turkey hunting. Recent years put "point" restrictions on - bucks have to have 4 points on one side to be legal. We're seeing far more big bucks as a result. Normally, "my" deer don't herd up until after Christmas, so tonight was odd. Corn's harvested but one neighbor still has soybeans left, not deers' favorite but they'll go to them after acorns and corn are gone. Anyway ..

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Firearms deer season closed at dark ( 4:30 pm) driving the 1/2 mile between my mailbox and the farmhouse 19 deer crossed the road in front of us (5:35 pm). Only one had a rack of any size one of the last to cross although we saw several more still in the field.

We still have doe season, 2nd youth season, "alternative weapons" season (muzzleloaders, pistols, atalatyls, crossbows, rocks, spears, tannerite and hand grenades) plus archery season reopens after that. I'm going to take my trusty "ACME" anvil to my treestand for coyote season. Beep Beep.
I'd love to see someone hunting with an atlatl.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Reactions: dango

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
someone named Slim. the hundred pound hunter.
It's not only legal in Missouri but there've been successful hunters. Well. besides those hundreds of years ago. My county (Ralls) tallied over 2,000 deer taken as of yestday's close of regular firearms season). Don't personally know any spear-chuckers. Some fish and frog giggers but no one I know goes through the woods with spear in hand. Guy my son worked with enjoyed the atalatl (sp) and competed with others. Not my thing, but it's legal.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
Well, our fleet has been putting a dent in the deer population in the upper midwest this year. We have one driver who has hit 4.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
Well, our fleet has been putting a dent in the deer population in the upper midwest this year. We have one driver who has hit 4.
There was a guy I worked with when I first moved to Salmon, who hit seven dear in five months. His insurance company paid for an ARB (Australian Roo Basher) bumper. He hit two more that winter, but it didn’t damage the truck.

·
Premium Member
10,179 Posts
I have hit one, on a test drive, in a customer's truck. I'm good with keeping it that way.

We have X-guard deer guards, they generally save the hood and I haven't replaced a cooling package for a deer hit in 3 years.

·
Premium Member
14,131 Posts
A long time ago in upper NY state I had a deer hit me. A buck came up out of a ditch and slammed into the side of my PU truck bed. He staggered around for a few minutes and ran off. In WA state I almost hit a horse that ran out of the woods right in front of my car. That would have been really bad. Alaska was bad for moose hits and that does a lot of damage.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Two in two years, my wife’s Subaru Impreza must have had deer attractant smeared on it (or something)... The first one was a spike at 35 MPH, $5000+ damage, we ate him...:D
Second buck (a nice 3 point blacktail) totaled the car at 60 MPH, he was too messed up to eat. The tow truck driver declined to haul it out cuz he didn’t want to have to wash his truck...:eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
16,697 Posts
Two in two years, my wife’s Subaru Impreza must have had deer attractant smeared on it (or something)... The first one was a spike at 35 MPH, $5000+ damage, we ate him...:D
Second buck (a nice 3 point blacktail) totaled the car at 60 MPH, he was too messed up to eat. The tow truck driver declined to haul it out cuz he didn’t want to have to wash his truck...:eek::eek::eek:
I've been very lucky . Had a few close calls but haven't hit any yet .

·
Premium Member
3,441 Posts
One of our guys got 2 at the same time Thursday night, both trailers were covered in blood. It was just outside of Charleston WV.

53761 - 53780 of 54346 Posts