Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

que est WTF? "unregulated furbearer" in NM. like cottontails, skunks, one particular kind of squirrel, and coyote. just take out the trash, any day, every day.

2. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

In a moment of senior "fog" I got Roadrunner and Wiley coyote confused. Wiley had the ACME anvil, not Roadrunner. Then, again, this IS 2020, so anything's possible.

As a lad, if someone even saw a deer, 'twas a reason to call the neighbors, be judged a liar at the coffee shop, or wish he'd had a camera. People argued over roadkills. Not today.

Missouri's deer hunting starts Sept. 15 (archery) and ends in January. Only squirrels and rabbits have longer seasons. Coyotes are fair game anytime with few exceptions. Our Conservation Commission's done an outstanding job of restoring deer and turkey hunting. Recent years put "point" restrictions on - bucks have to have 4 points on one side to be legal. We're seeing far more big bucks as a result. Normally, "my" deer don't herd up until after Christmas, so tonight was odd. Corn's harvested but one neighbor still has soybeans left, not deers' favorite but they'll go to them after acorns and corn are gone. Anyway ..

3. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see someone hunting with an atlatl.

dango, BullMoose429 and SRK97 like this.
  4. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

someone named Slim. the hundred pound hunter.

sheriffjohn and boatme98 like this.
  5. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Im gonna have to put atlatl hunting on my bucket list.

Oldoutlaw, Caveman Jim, dango and 2 others like this.
  6. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

Uh, yeah, still haven't fixed that suburban but had plenty of whiskey.

dango, primer1, Caveman Jim and 2 others like this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

dango likes this.
  8. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

It's not only legal in Missouri but there've been successful hunters. Well. besides those hundreds of years ago. My county (Ralls) tallied over 2,000 deer taken as of yestday's close of regular firearms season). Don't personally know any spear-chuckers. Some fish and frog giggers but no one I know goes through the woods with spear in hand. Guy my son worked with enjoyed the atalatl (sp) and competed with others. Not my thing, but it's legal.

dango and boatme98 like this.
  9. Cinderocka1989

Well, our fleet has been putting a dent in the deer population in the upper midwest this year. We have one driver who has hit 4.

Oldoutlaw, dango, Caveman Jim and 3 others like this.
  10. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Too many A's.:D atlatl

dango likes this.
  11. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

He got more deer than me...

12. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There was a guy I worked with when I first moved to Salmon, who hit seven dear in five months. His insurance company paid for an ARB (Australian Roo Basher) bumper. He hit two more that winter, but it didn’t damage the truck.

dango, Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  13. Cinderocka1989

I have hit one, on a test drive, in a customer's truck. I'm good with keeping it that way.

We have X-guard deer guards, they generally save the hood and I haven't replaced a cooling package for a deer hit in 3 years.

dango and Caveman Jim like this.
  14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A long time ago in upper NY state I had a deer hit me. A buck came up out of a ditch and slammed into the side of my PU truck bed. He staggered around for a few minutes and ran off. In WA state I almost hit a horse that ran out of the woods right in front of my car. That would have been really bad. Alaska was bad for moose hits and that does a lot of damage.

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Daughter headed home this morning. Yesterday our son called and said they were coming for Christmas.

16. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Two in two years, my wife’s Subaru Impreza must have had deer attractant smeared on it (or something)... The first one was a spike at 35 MPH, $5000+ damage, we ate him...:D
    Second buck (a nice 3 point blacktail) totaled the car at 60 MPH, he was too messed up to eat. The tow truck driver declined to haul it out cuz he didn’t want to have to wash his truck...:eek::eek::eek:

17. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've been very lucky . Had a few close calls but haven't hit any yet .

Caveman Jim and JTJ like this.
  18. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Well-Known Member

A good whiskey will never be a bourbon. Screenshot_20200509-223040.jpg

Caveman Jim likes this.
  19. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

One of our guys got 2 at the same time Thursday night, both trailers were covered in blood. It was just outside of Charleston WV.

primer1 likes this.
  20. BullMoose429

BullMoose429 Well-Known Member Supporter

Now I’m offended- bourbon is the king of whiskeys

Caveman Jim likes this.