Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, here we call them interns. And this is a trade.

JTJ likes this.
  2. Cinderocka1989

I think internships are a great way to help them learn. School teaches them the book way to do things, we teach them how we do things in the real world because the book was written by a pencil pushing desk jockey who has probably never replaced a starter on the side of the interstate in a snow storm.

3. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Bloody knuckles are the best teacher.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  4. Cinderocka1989

I've found that watching them struggle works better than telling them how I would do something, as long as what they're doing isn't going to ruin something or get them seriously hurt. They're gonna do it their way anyway, so I'll save my breath.

sheriffjohn likes this.
  5. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

I took a different approach. But I would watch them struggle a bit before helping. It goes like this:

We've developed these methods over time and they work. Watch and listen, and then if you have a suggestion on what you think would be better I'll be glad to hear it.

winds-of-change and JTJ like this.
  6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Cinder , I should have said building trades. My son is an auto tech and was teaching at the community college until the Wuflu shut down the school. You need the wrench time to learn and they cant get it with Governor Nuisance keeping the schools closed in CA.

Mister Dave likes this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I got many bloody knuckles at Ft. Knox and Ft. Carson learning to be a 63C, track vehicle mechanic in the 70’s.

Rifling82 likes this.
  8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Yes, they are going to do it their own way. But when I’m learning something new, I appreciate the knowledge of the more experienced. Then I develop my own technique.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I was at an lgs yesterday and the had a nice looking used Winchester 94AE. Nice looking until I held it. Some dumba** vibro penned his name and drivers license number in the receiver. Both sides. They wanted $550 for a gun that is now worth maybe $300. The sales guy agreed with me but he is not the owner.

boatme98 and Rifling82 like this.
  10. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

... but he probably never wrote the serial number down anywhere

11. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Needing to buy some more ammo, I've been looking at optics and ammo's website.

anyone know if that is a legit site?

https://opticsandammo.com/

12. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

nevermind I googled it real quick, its a scam

winds-of-change and Rifling82 like this.
  13. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Starting my weekend laundry. 1st washer load and the whole kitchen smells of detergent. Unbearable!
    As I'm a cheap bastadge, i just buy whatever soap is cheapest when im in the store. I do actually do a smell test In store if I've not used the brand before but sometimes you get surprised by the smell once it's in the water.

Caveman Jim and Rifling82 like this.
  14. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

8 days since my last non baby wipe shower, cant wait to get home.

15. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

At some of the local grocery stores, around where I live, there is a big jug (188 fl oz) of Sun detergent. Lasts a good long while, and doesn't have a great "flowery" added smell to it. Nice bonus: it's often under $6 for the jug.

winds-of-change, ellis36 and boatme98 like this.
  16. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I like the wife’s decision to get the stuff that comes in the small plastic buckets, just perfect for my brass hoarding affliction. :p:D:p:D

boatme98 likes this.
  17. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

I like the smell of laundry. It reminds me of my childhood at the grandparents guest ranch. Laundry day is everyday when you are renting cabins to dudes in the southern colorado rockies

winds-of-change and boatme98 like this.
  18. G66enigma

Here's a product that's fairly inexpensive, unscented, in 5gal buckets -- Ecos Pro unscented, 5gal (640oz), $74ea @ Grainger.com. That's about ~$0.12/oz. If you've got a Grainger near you, or if you order enough to get free shipping.

Here's a product even less expensive, unscented, in 5gal buckets -- Dynamo Industrial Strength Laundry Detergent, 5gal (640oz), $62ea @ SamsClub.com. That's under $0.10/oz. If you have a Sam's Club near you.

Compare to the Sun brand stuff I mentioned earlier -- Sun (188oz), $6ea @ local grocery. That's under ~$0.04/oz, but its scented.

boatme98 likes this.
  19. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I don't mind a little fragrance, preferably something innocuous like "white linen" and such but I don't want to be walking around smelling like I've been using Summers Eve as an aftershave.
    Might give people ideas.

Caveman Jim and schnuffleupagus like this.
  20. G66enigma

That Sun product I typically get ... The last one I picked up was the "Tropical Breeze" scented. I can smell a faint whiff while the washer's going, but once the clothes have dried and come out, I can't smell a thing. It's scented, but it's hard to tell once the clothes are done. About as inexpensive as it gets, too, for easily-obtained laundry detergent. Check Kroger, Wal-Mart grocery, or similar "big box" type grocers.

For stuff like this, I also tend to be a "cheap bastage." Never did want to do the $2/oz stuff that one can find at Whole Foods in the easy-on-the-Planet aisle, and similar specialty grocers. Even if it also makes great fries.

boatme98 likes this.