Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Be sure you have either a supplement for iodine, or are getting enough seafood. Iodine deficiencies cause goiter. And it used to be major medical issue in the United States, until they figured out that they needed to iodine the salt. Folks who don’t use salt frequently develop thyroid issues due to the lack of iodine.

When I was a young child of 4 or 5-years, my folks were completely self sufficient, on the small farm outside of Boise. And, Mom didn’t use any salt on anything. Grew a garden of just over an acre, and had about ten acres in fruit trees, and berries. Raised and butchered three steers, and a gross of chickens every year, supplemented that with a couple of deer.

The folks and the three older kids all developed thyroid issues, which lasted the rest of their lives. My younger brother and I weren’t effected because Mom was giving both of us a vitamin and mineral supplement which included the iodine we needed.

dango, winds-of-change, JTJ and 4 others like this.
  2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Yup.

Have, and do. ^Good reminder.

Do quite a bit of seafood, myself. Always have.

Just don't do much "added" salt. I appreciate the 200mg level is low, but that's for the "added" stuff: either directly put on food (rare for me), or in canned goods as preservative, etc. The rest comes naturally.

dango likes this.

3. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

I wonder when this forum will change format over to (the latest) XenForo. Other Carbon Media sites already have.

A lady who goes by "Cricket" will probably show up for a while. Be prepared for a lot of grumbling and some rage quits.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    dango and primer1 like this.
  4. xring3

xring3 Well-Known Member

Busted a chip out of a tooth last night. I guess after 71 years it decided it had had enough of my mouth.

dango, boatme98, SRK97 and 2 others like this.
  5. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was the straw that broke the camels back. it was by no means the only straw.

The Ottoman Empire was falling apart. every European nation wanted a chunk, and there were more people wanting chunks than there were chunks. WWI was inevitable.

dango likes this.
  6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Wife is from Austria and has a goiter. It stopped growing when she came here and got iodized salt. The problem still persists in some areas and with some ethnic groups that use regular or kosher salt.

dango likes this.
  7. G66enigma

Isn't it? The "footer" area on this forum shows the following:

Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2017 XenForo Ltd. | © 2017 Carbon Media Group Outdoors | XenForo style by Pixel Exit

dango likes this.
  8. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Not the latest version. "Sister site" that just changed over: https://www.xdtalk.com/forums/

Prior it looked like this one.

dango likes this.
  9. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Randomly came across this video while browsing youtube last night. I only bought the first 3 episodes of "Yellowstone" on Amazon and only saw the first one. But seeing some clips of other episodes on youtube, it does look like a good show, I think it just starts off slow and a bit boring and then gets better and better.

I may end up buying the rest of the first season since its only like $10 if its this good.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  10. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Donald Trump jr has some BDE Screenshot_20200806-175406_Instagram.jpeg

dango likes this.
  11. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Grandson did a day camp Boy & Cub Scout video on biology and furthering their education. They are using internet since they can only get together electronically. It was pretty good but I am biased. If anyone is interested I will posted the link.

dango and Rifling82 like this.
  12. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm getting ready for duck/geese season. I ordered a left hand saftey and a spacer kit to increase the LOP of my Remington 870 Super Magnum. Thinking about picking up a 30.5 inch barrel for those high fliers.

13. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

I handled a Taurus 1911 today, I’m not going to buy one but it seemed well made

14. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

Personally, based on reviews I've read.. I've never handled a Hipoint or a Taurus. But I put them in the same class. .. Just my opinion. I would try a Taurus before Hipoint. Yes, I hear Taurus is stepping up there game. Just to clarify again, my opinion is based on reads, not experience.. But I also don't like Glock. To be honest, its because I don't like trigger safeties. I'm more zoned in on 1911's.

15. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

If it was the right price, I'd buy one.

Rifling82 and dango like this.
  16. schnuffleupagus

Purists are what they are. I love my ParaOrdnance P14. I shot out the first barrel of my Taurus PT99(which I prefer to the Beretta because of the safety). I love my SIG 226 AND my 2022. My first auto pistol was a Smith 459, and won trophies with it. I own 3 Glocks and would gladly carry any of them to war. The FNX is better than any pistol I carried in the Army. The Keltec P9 is super reliable. Keltec PMR22 is 30 rounds of bad *** that shoots every time.
    The browning 22 pistol kill squirrels very neatly.

I love weapons too much to turn my nose up to entire classes of them. Hi-Points are ugly, heavy pieces that provide a good value. Taurus is paying the price for having questionable QA in the 1980's.

dango likes this.
  17. G66enigma

What a big ol' beast that is. Puny hands, here, so getting around that grip's circumference is, uh, a bit of a challenge for me. Shoots very nice, though, as I recall.

Have considered doing one of Para's smaller carry sidearms. But they're now part of the Remington umbrella of companies, yes? Somehow, I suspect their quality might have been impacted this past several years. If Marlin and others are any guide.

dango and schnuffleupagus like this.
  18. schnuffleupagus

Maybe, I heard they were gone. I am looking at a Rock Island 10mm next.
    Love the 10mm since Colonel Cooper told me about it.

Rifling82 and dango like this.
  19. G66enigma

I'm assuming so. Heading to the Remington "family" website, "Para USA" is listed, but there are no links or further info. And any general search for "Para USA" or "para-usa" or "Para Ordnance" gets only reviews and write-ups ... not their website. The WikiPedia entry doesn't indicate "toast" but their "para-usa.com" web link just heads to the empty Remington page. So, I'm assuming gone.

dango and schnuffleupagus like this.
  20. G66enigma

Resurrecting a month-old post ...

One thing that drives me nuts is: misuse of "may" and "might." Even all the so-called "major" media outlets are abusing the terms. Though, I'm sure the dictionaries now show either word as interchangeable for the other, given how popular the misuse has gotten.

Once was, I was taught that:

May -- relates to permission.
    Might -- relates to probability.

But then there was that children's nursery rhyme: "Star Light, Star Bright," which balled up the "may" and "might" thing with the line: "I wish I may, I wish I might / Have the wish I wish tonight."

^ Though, technically, given it's a kiddo doing the wishing, asking for both permission and likelihood is probably best. If one's to get one's wish, that is.

And hopefully that AMD stock continues on its long trajectory, once the economy begins to heat up again. Combined with Intel auguring in, that is. "I wish I may, I wish I might ..." :p

dango and winds-of-change like this.