Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

I am quite impressed. Wish I'd seen that before re-intalling a belt on my zero-turn mower. Thank you.

2. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Finger with nut taped to it in order to allow the mating fastener to get started on a blind backside where some jerk engineer should've used a different fastening methodology.

3. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  4. schnuffleupagus

Watch "Massad Ayoob "Cute" Lawyer Tricks" on YouTube

BK3220 likes this.
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

:eek:
    Poor grammar drives me INSANE. “I seen...” “We was....” “Not no more....” “Should of....” ( It’s “should HAVE) “Supposably....” “Inneresting....”. “Conversate....”
    Calling men and women ‘males and females’. We aren’t animals. We are men and women. Oh, I could go on and on. I have to go rest for a bit.

It all drives me absolutely CRAZY! :eek::confused:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    buckhuntr and schnuffleupagus like this.
  6. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

what drives me up the wall is "one of the only", from a journalist

winds-of-change likes this.
  7. schnuffleupagus

I have fought this fight my entire life.

People use celibate rather than chaste

People use problematic to mean "a problem"
    Problematic means arguable.

Nobody know what a dangling participle is anymore, leading people to believe we have killer SUVs and anthropomorphic firearms.

Its like nobody is required to read Strunk&White anymore. Fie! Fie!

winds-of-change and ellis36 like this.
  8. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Who?????

My favorite is people who use "I feel" for " I think" I usually reply "Well there is your problem, you are feeling instead of thinking". Drives my daughter nuts when I tell her that.

TimKS, primer1, G66enigma and 2 others like this.
  9. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

So I have been in my shop for a few hours, not making any noise, just some reorganising. I walk out the door and look around, 3 rabbits and 2 groundhogs in the yard peaceably munching grass. Clearly the coyotes have moved on, they will probably be back in a year or 2. As long as the groundhogs don't dig under my porch I leave them alone. Just the circle of rural life. When the coyotes come back I won't see a rabbit or hog for a year or 2. Then the coyotes will move on again.

winds-of-change and RKB like this.
  10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Yet I still say “What is it made of” because I can’t bring myself to say “Of what is it made”.
    Ooohhhh..... good one. I’ll have to drive some people nuts with that one.

boatme98 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  11. G66enigma

A dozen years ago, or so, I once commented to someone I knew who'd been guilty of an egregious misuse of wording: "Yeah, my copy of Strunk & White's a bit tattered as well" ... or something close to that. Just got a blank stare. For certain, he'd never heard of the thing.

The Elements Of Style, by Wm. Strunk, Jr, pub 1920 by Harcourt, Brace & Co.. (A PDF file, scanned by Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.)

The Chicago Manual Of Style (online).

12. G66enigma

That is problematic. :p

First time I ever heard the word "celibate" in conversation, I was a probably 8-9yrs of age. Was trying to work out what putting an end to cells had to do with the conversation ...

13. G66enigma

Interesting use of technology.

The albatrosses who catch pirates on the high seas @ BBC, 7/8/20.

Hook up a few thousand albatross with data collection devices, automatically capture the data for analysis, then identify probable candidate ships engaging in illegal fishing operations.

schnuffleupagus and ellis36 like this.
  14. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep! Like a tapped metal reinforcement tab spot-welded in place! Cost probably insignificant
    in the grand scheme of things!

ellis

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

This is a poor use of language up with which I will not put!

For a firearms forum, my personal point of irritation is muzzle break. As in "I got a new muzzle break." What?? How the hell did you break the muzzle ????

For the spoken word, I have learned to dislike the word went. As a substitute for said. "Well, she went blah blah blah, so I went roobah roobah roobah. So then she went......"

But some people simply have the gift of communicating, and it is a matter of their style.
    Master Yoda could get away with saying “When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not, hm?” The rest of you..... not so much.

16. schnuffleupagus

Prep's at the end of sentences, that rule has loosened a bit. Churchill was credited with a very eloquent criticism of the rule...

"That is something, up with which I shall not put."

17. schnuffleupagus

Beat me by seconds

18. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

"That is something, up with which I shall not put."

Misplaced commas????:)

ellis

19. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Had a new first this morning. There are several webcams I check frequently, mostly the ICW, inlets, and beaches, early this morning while still dark I checked an inlet on the New Jersey coast that I used a lot.
    The camera panned to the beach and stopped right on a couple, how shall I say, in mid hump.
    I don't know who controls the camera but they were pretty interested in the goings on. It stayed on the couple until completion, or at least his, :p and the post stretching and brushing off of sand.o_O
    Pretty amusing start to the day.:D

20. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

My personal cross to carry is the misuse of the words "then" & "than". :mad:

EDIT: I don't misuse it, my cross is from watching others misuse it. :)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    ellis36 and winds-of-change like this.