Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

nothing, absolutely nothing, would make me do this:
    [​IMG]

2. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

I don't blame you in the least.

Yet, what people think of "California" when they think of the state is the portion of the state from ~75mi north of San Francisco south to the Mexican border. And I'll grant you much of what folks have heard is utterly true.

But the state is vast, in size. An entirely different world exists 300mi north of San Francisco, and in the interior of the state north of SF. Same with southern Oregon. Completely different than the urban areas those two states are known for.

Lots of little mountain communities. Lots of little coastal and river-valley communities. Almost none of the stereotypical Calif. crap that makes people cringe. (For most people, it's just too dang far from "anything" for them to pay attention. But for those who live there, it can be a relative paradise compared to a lot of other places around the country.)

And it's one of the rare spots in the U.S. where a great number of older, Victorian-era homes can still be found, and still be obtained for less than many imagine would be possible.

winds-of-change likes this.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I live the pink rooms in that house.

Cinderocka1989 likes this.
  4. winds-of-change

I swear I think Trump has totally lost his mind.

5. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

yeah, but joe is winning in "that race"

6. winds-of-change

I’m not so sure anymore.

7. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

The woodwork is beautiful.

8. Cinderocka1989

And all of Minnesota is not like Minneapolis but I still don't want to live there because the population of Minneapolis decides who's in charge and the laws.

formerCav and JerrBear48 like this.
  9. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I missed the 6 car garage, that is a good start!:D:D

10. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

when was the last time you heard from Anthony Fauci, and what did he say?

he went from media pole star to dark matter and nobody noticed.

11. G66enigma

I hear Wyoming's very nice.

Of course, it's more of a "mountain lodge" place than a Victorian "Queen Anne" place. Though, Cheyenne and a few other spots do have their "gems" here and there.

Would have moved their long ago, if I could stand the winters. These old bones don't easily tolerate much of that, these days.

"victorian home wyoming" @ DuckDuckGo.com: click.

12. Cinderocka1989

If I could find a decent paying job there I would have stayed.
    The winters are brutal, especially on the high plains, 30 mph winds was a calm day in Laramie.

Spent some summers in a small town just south of Jackson, went to school in Laramie. I live in Wisconsin now.

13. G66enigma

Lived in a neat place, out West, that had a lot of similarities ... but without the harsh winters. Tough to make much of a living when 80% or more of people living there are constrained by the puny economy.

Have some family in the hills outside of Casper. Beautiful area. But, as you say, the winds and winters can be hard to take, sometimes.

[​IMG]

primer1 and Cinderocka1989 like this.
  14. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice watch tanline starting to form, it will be crazy by July 20200603_170207.jpeg

towboater likes this.
  15. Cinderocka1989

Yeah, there isn't much there except cattle, oil and coal.

I actually grew up in Utah. I'm a long way from home.

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Was headed south from Buffalo WY. Early evening, came over a rise, could see the lights of Casper. Dang, I am making GOOD time. Stop in Casper for gas and coffee, Cheyenne for a bite to eat, and 110 miles and I'll be home. Doing GREAT.

An hour later, I have not yet made it to Casper. And I realized- you can see stuff a LOOONG way off here....

17. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Friend of mine took a trip to Wyoming to hunt. He was driving in the middle of the night, he sees a car coming the other way and kicks off his high beams. They passed each other an hour later!:eek:

ellis36 likes this.
  18. G66enigma

Funny you say that. I noticed the exact same thing, when I took a long tour through the Western states some years ago.

Came up over a series of ridges, overlooking a huge valley. Could easily see across the valley, down into the basin, seeing detail on many of the trees (it was early October, with very crisp, cold and clear days), etc. Turns out, it took me hours to get across that valley. The view from my initial vantage point was deceiving: it was more than 100mi from rim to rim, across that basin. What turned out to be true simply didn't match what visually appeared to be "right there." Thought I'd reach the other side in 20-30mins. But it took forever.

Funny, how optical clarity can change so dramatically, with a simple change in perspective, a change in the quality of the air and light.

19. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Having a blast on the VA merry go round.
    After 2 days the cardio people finally realized I'm here!
    I was ready to walk out this morning.

winds-of-change likes this.
  20. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Came to hospital for cardiac emergency Tuesday morning. Hearts been in a fib since Monday a week ago. Was preadmitted by phone before I left home (90 min drive), got here, checked in by a nurse from cardio, no room ready. Sat in er for 3 hours, got ekg and started at ceiling. Finally got a room on cardiac wing. The renal docs came to talk to me.
    Wednesday ,still no word cardio. Late Wednesday they send me up to dialysis.
    About 2 hours in D., I get a phone call from cardio. They said they heard I wanted an appointment. Would the 27th do?
    I said why don't you just stroll down the hall and see me right now?
    Guy said they had no idea I was here!
    Still didn't hear from anyone.
    This morning, again the rental crew showed, I told them that I hadn't seen anyone from cardio so i was checking out.
    I could get dialysis at home, eat better food, and have a cleaner bathroom.
    10 minutes later I was taken fir an echocardiogram. That was early this morning and I still haven't heard back from anyone in cardio going into 3rd dsy!
    Oh, and of 4 meals (lunch & dinners) 3 have been inedible fish. Nobody will come talk to me about meal choices.

primer1, SRK97 and ellis36 like this.