Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I thought the military can not be used in our own country for any law enforcement. That’s why we have the National Guard.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

The Posse Comitatus Act limits using the US military to enforce civilian law, EXCEPT in cases of insurrection- which require specific legal action. Yes, that has happened a very few times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act

Incidentally- the Act prohibits the use of the US Army and the US Air Force. It does NOT prohibit the use of the US Navy. *walks away humming "from the halls of Montezuma..." *

3. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I found the perfect house, now if someone could just tell me where I might find $800,000 Screenshot_20200529-075511.jpeg

primer1 and towboater like this.
  4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

There is a Nigerian prince who will put a lot of money in your bank account. Just send him your account info so he could deposit that money for you.

Cinderocka1989, ellis36 and boatme98 like this.
  5. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

The garage ain't big enough!!:p:p:p

Cinderocka1989 likes this.
  6. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

It's like a dollhouse and a castle drank too much and shacked up for the night...

Cinderocka1989 and boatme98 like this.
  7. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I see an unending maintenance nightmare!

8. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

Out west, in far northern CA and southern OR, it's possible to find homes similar to that for less than half that. Take a look at real estate in the towns of Arcata (CA), Eureka (CA), Crescent City (CA), Gold Beach (OR), for example. You might be surprised.

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/eureka/1122-m-st-eureka-ca-95501--2085248826

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/eureka/935-b-st-eureka-ca-95501--2085258066

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/eureka/1225-myrtle-ave-eureka-ca-95501--2085249196

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/eureka/2507-c-st-eureka-ca-95501--1056743132

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/eureka/15-w-cedar-st-eureka-ca-95501--2117310680

https://www.trulia.com/p/ca/crescent-city/680-j-st-crescent-city-ca-95531--2085298381

Cinderocka1989 likes this.
  9. boatme98

Living in my quiet little town I've avoided all the hoopla of the last few weeks. Now I'm waiting on a ride to the belly of the beast.
    Gotta go to the hospital in Nashville. I'll be at least 1 night, may e more. We'll see.
    Rides here, later all.

ellis36, towboater and SRK97 like this.
  10. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Quick question, does loading and unloading a magazine weaken the spring? And if it does will this take a long time for it to happen as in thousands and thousands of times? I read somewhere when it gets real easy to load your mags, that tells you your mag spring is weakening.

I sometimes fiddle with loading and unloading my glock mags from time to time to get them easier to load them up. Since its still some what difficult to get the last 2 rounds in there. And sometimes I hear rounds rattle inside the mag and so loading and unloading the mag until the rattling stops is what fixes it. It doesn't affect shooting or anything but it is anoying to hear for sure.

My brothers glock is also still new and some times I'll load and unload his mag too here and there to break in the spring. His is a 10 round mag and getting the last round in there is more difficult then mine, but then again he rarely uses his gun so, I load and unload his mag from time to time so it gets a little easier.

Spare mags I just leave loaded, some times I'll load and unload them too but its not as often as I used to when breaking in the spring, now its just either for cleaning, swapping out rounds, just checking something real quick or checking to make sure the top round is to the rear.

11. G66enigma

Basically, you're correct. At least, in my experience.

Indeed, any spring is going to have a cycle lifespan (the number of times it can survive being alternately compressed and released) before performance is reduced, and any spring is going to have a fully-compressed lifespan before performance is reduced. Depends on the spring in question.

One could certainly make a "spring" that might function a few times, but where the material would utterly fail soon after being put into use. Whereas, there are springs out there that are seemingly darned near indestructible. (Automotive suspension springs come to mind, on some cars.)

Over the past 30yrs, I've had dozens of different sidearms, most of which don't exhibit much spring performance reduction within 5000rds or so. Though many makers recommend replacement of such springs sooner than that. I'm sure it'd depend on how a person uses a spring ... ie, loads the mag, leaves it for 10yrs, then uses it; or, uses the mag fifty times a day for 10yrs.

In the highest-use sidearm I've ever had, through the 1990s I put tens of thousands of rounds through a Browning BDM 9mm. For much of that time, I only had a couple of magazines, as the 15rd ones were rarer than hens' teeth. After a couple thousand rounds, they absolutely did lose much of their force, and going to the higher-strength springs that were available at the time made a world of difference in reduction in mag-feed related problems. Weak springs occurred after a couple thousand rounds, and swapping in a fresh spring would give that length of service or more. This, on a sidearm being used 300-500rds a week for months on end.

Yet, on some sidearms, notably a couple of CZ's I've owned, the springs don't seem to change much after moderately-high use of the mags. (Lots of loading, cleaning, reloading.) Still, I got into the habit with that Browning pistol, to the point I simply acquire a dozen springs whenever getting a new sidearm, and I swap in new mag springs every several thousand rounds, depending. I figure: safer that way, since I'm no engineer and don't know, beforehand, what the practical service life of a given spring's likely to be. Few of the makers seem to state this prior to buying their stuff. So, for me, cautious is good.

I wouldn't worry, much, on many sidearms' magazine springs until at least 1000 rounds has gone by, likely double, triple or much more time than that.

On rifles, I'd think differently. Again, my experience has been that many springs do go demonstrably weak over time. Depends on the spring, of course.

Might just acquire an extra spring or two, for each of the arms you have. That way, whenever it does get demonstrably weaker, you can swap in a new one and let 'er rip. A bit added cost, for spares, but then you're covered.

JMO

PANDEMIC likes this.
  12. PANDEMIC

Thank you I really appreciate it! I think I'm good for now, I might pick up another mag sometime in the future. But right now, my mags, even my brother's, still require's some amount of muscle to load the suckers lol.

13. G66enigma

I damaged my hands, years ago, and so some of the tougher mag springs frost me to no end, with how hard they can be to load. Tough little suckers, aren't they?

If you haven't had the pleasure of doing Wolff springs on some of your arms, try them. You'll be quite appalled at how much harder some of the magazines get during loading, if you do. Enjoy. :p

PANDEMIC likes this.
  14. PANDEMIC

Well I mean its not that bad lol, I like it and got used to it. :) They still need some more breaking in, but its not that incredibly difficult loading by hand. I got speed loader's for them, but I like the old school way of loading them by hand more. :D

towboater likes this.
  15. G66enigma

The Browning was my first sidearm, and after ~20K+ rounds manually loaded into magazines, I finally learned of those MAGLULA type loaders. Of course, by that time my fingers had largely been "broken" in. Callouses galore, as I recall. Older phart that I am, now, my fingers don't tolerate nearly so much abuse as what you young pups can cope with. Enjoy it while you can, whippersnapper. One day, you'll wake up with aches in places you never thought of, asking yourself "Now when the heck did that happen?!" You're welcome.

JTJ, primer1 and Artbrownsr like this.
  16. PANDEMIC

Gotcha, well again I really appreciate your help. I'm in my 20's and so I really like magazine fed handguns, so I'll stick with that for now. But as I get older I'll probably get tired of always constantly loading mags and unloading them lol and may switch over to a revolver of some short like some older folks on here do.

towboater likes this.
  17. BK3220

BK3220 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I bought a partner a few years ago. It's solid,well-made and reliable.

boatme98 and PANDEMIC like this.
  18. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I got one a few years ago. It works like a Remington 870 and is a solid gun I use it for my bear protection with Brenneke Black magic or classic Magnum.

towboater and PANDEMIC like this.
  19. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

Guess I'll have to start responding to those emails...
    6. Count them, 6 car garage. Let's be honest, if I had $800,000 I'd buy a tiny house and build a huge shop.
    there are quite a few older houses around here that look like either dollhouses or castles, totally plausible.
    Trulia usually tells me when the house was built but it doesn't say on this one. I don't want to live in California. I'm not really sure I want to live here. This humidity stuff is for the birds.

The inside is also gorgeous...

Screenshot_20200602-124448.jpeg Screenshot_20200602-124454.jpeg Screenshot_20200602-124501.jpeg Screenshot_20200602-124517.jpeg

20. boatme98

I've bought a few partners in my time. Most were well made, they all tended to be reliable until the money ran out.

towboater and BK3220 like this.