Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

My sisters barn is currently occupied by hundreds of rats and mice. I sat out there this afternoon with my Henry and a red light and went to work. Originally I borrowed her pink red rider but when I'd pick it up to shoot one the BBs would rattle and the varmin would run off, after 10 or so failures I made the switch. Shot 11 times, killed 10 rats/mice, had to shoot one twice. I'd say it was impressive but it's hard to miss with #12 rat shot inside of 15 feet. I'll definitely be back with more ammo next time.

2. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you might have a good reason to buy a high velocity break barrel pellet gun.....

primer1 and SRK97 like this.

3. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one I was using to covertly kill groundhogs but I find it doesn't shoot as accurately as I want it to. I have a nice .177 target pistol but I seem to have misplaced it. Maybe a game whisper is something that could help me out

4. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

if you mean a Gamo Whisper: story I read says you buy one at the start of the summer, let your grandkids thrash it all summer. then throw it away when they go back to school and break out the Benjamin you've had for years.

SRK97 likes this.
  5. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

She needs a couple barn cats. Or a nice, big black snake in the barn

SRK97 likes this.
  6. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

IMO, a big black snake would be better. I watched my barn cats carrying field rats TO the barn...where they would play with them and let some of them escape!
    ellis

primer1 and SRK97 like this.
  7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are going to shoot rat shot you need to get the Henry smooth bore garden gun. It is meant for shooting vermin.
    Problem with 22lr rat shot is the cost. 25 cents a round. I make rat shot with 38 spl. Really easy and #9 or #8 shot. 410 light loads work too. Both are cheaper than the 22lr if you load your own.
    I have a 22 caliber Benjamin Trail Nitro 2 that is accurate enough.

schnuffleupagus and SRK97 like this.
  8. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

what my neighbor tells me: a cat needs to see its mama eat a mouse. when the kitten sees mama cat eat a mouse it learns what mice are for.

SRK97 and ellis36 like this.
  9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a cat that never saw her momma eat a mouse and she was a great mouser. We would find the tails. Wait until the cat brings you a live mouse for a present.

schnuffleupagus and SRK97 like this.
  10. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Crossman pumpmaster.

I paid my 12 year old son for each carcass he would present. He kept that shop clean and now he is a 26 year old with solid shooting skills.

I feel proud, using capitalism to generate a good shooter.

primer1 and ellis36 like this.
  11. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

When i was a wee lad of 15 we had a field mouse in the basement livingroom.

My friend Ricky and I stalked and chased him...finally he was dispatched hiding against the sofa leg by a large Bowie knife chop.

Mom did not complain because the famage to the sofa leg was on the inside- couldnt be seen without lifting it up and looking

We labeled it the great mouse hunt of 1982

buckhuntr likes this.
  12. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Pellet guns are slow to load. I have gone to Aguila Colribis in my repro Crackshot for the bunny menacing TIMrs garden.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Aguilla Colibri 22s or CCI CB Longs will get 'er done- but I also have a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm air rifle- It will kill a squirrel DRT at 40 yards, should work well for rats in a barn.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  14. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

How about a mouse cannon? :p

towboater likes this.
  15. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Watcha yall' think of a Pardner 12G pump shotgun? I saw it at my local walmart a few days ago "Pardner 12G" pump action, has a short barrel, I think 18" something like that and priced at $145. Looks alot lighter and smaller then my maverick 88 12G 28" barrel. The shorter barrel is what has my attention and is in 12G. I'll have to look at it and see if it takes 2 3/4" and 3" shells like my maverick does.

What do you guys think of it? I'm selling a hog trap that I don't use anymore and so I wanna put that money towards another but shorter barreled shotgun since I buy shells all the time from walmart and have a ton on hand. I was gonna buy that nightstick but that's a $400 shotgun. This one for $150 seems hard to beat. And it be a great addition to my skeet shooting hobby.

Artbrownsr and towboater like this.
  16. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

You could also look at used guns, I bought my Mossberg pump for $200 at Scheel's it's really in pretty good shape, I have no complaints. I have no experience with the Pardner so that question I can't answer.

towboater, primer1 and PANDEMIC like this.
  17. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, travel restrictions have been lifted at work, no more 2 week or 1 week quarantine for traveling outside the tri-state area and flights are dirt cheap, even out of small airports so looks like I'm planning a trip to Utah/Idaho for Pie and Beer day in July.

18. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Appreciate the response, I got my mossberg used off armslist a few months back used, a little beat up and still needed some breaking in (about 4 years old and one box of shells through it) for $150 cash. So I got it for a steal deal, and I put hundreds of shells through it ever since to where I lost track of how many precisely at this point. Still a reliable shotgun.

I do have a local pawn store near me but most of their guns new and used prices have gone up including ammo since this whole pandemic started. Another gun store a little further away still has good priced ammo, but guns are still overpriced. I looked at the AR's just for fun and cheapest one is like $700 out the door and nothing fancy either, its like a palmetto state armory style AR but different brand.

This Pardner one that walmart has is like a cheap pump for $150 and their birdshot ammo is very cheap which is why I try and get at least a box if not two for the most part every time I go there.

But it will make a nice rabbit/skeet shooting gun for sure.

towboater likes this.
  19. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My son lives in a suburb just south of Chicago. There is looting just 10 blocks from his home. Mysteriously, his full gas can for his lawnmower was stolen from his yard. It was right up next to the house. :cool: It was probably used to burn a police car.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    SRK97 likes this.
  20. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

All the city action right now makes me really glad to be a hick that lives on a road where I see a handful of cars every hour.

Txhillbilly, ellis36 and boatme98 like this.