Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Congratulations. Hope you have many more happy years.

2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Never got my tax return or a stimulus check, the man keeps screwing with me. I should be getting a bonus plus overtime pay from work next paycheck however

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Well...… dang! I was just logging in here before dinner to wish the two of you a happy anniversary!

Balota- you know that the 4th Anniversary is Dan Wesson? 1st is Astra, 2nd is Beretta, 3rd is Colt.....

Artbrownsr and Mister Dave like this.
  4. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary, my friends! I still have not seen another formal proposal like his!

5. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Wow. Time fly by. Seems like it was just a year or so. Congrats.

6. SRK97

The proposal was on FT?

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Man I want one of these!

Do you have one C3?

towboater likes this.
  8. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

NO, NO, NO, you ain't blaming that on us!!!

Just kidding, congratulations, and may you have 100 more in health and happiness!!

winds-of-change likes this.
  9. SRK97

Had a pretty cool thing happen at work today. One of the guys keeps an old Korean war era m37 truck parked at the shop. He wanted the wooden sides removed so we took them off. Underneath was 20ish pieces of 1950s headstamp marked 30-06 brass. I wonder if the bullets ended up in koreans. 20200521_110350.jpeg

primer1, JTJ and Trez like this.
  10. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I was so embarrassed.
    Balota proposed to me in front of everyone who attended Bobski’s Shoot and Hoot in the fall of 2015. It was an FTF event.

SRK97 likes this.
  11. c3shooter

I must say, I have heard of a shotgun wedding, but shotgun proposals are somewhat scarce.

What size shot didja use to bag him???

:p

Mongo, JTJ and boatme98 like this.
  12. SRK97

Bet you never heard a country song on this topic...

towboater likes this.
  13. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Or Chinese....

SRK97 likes this.
  14. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

it occurred to me that Reagan should be a Democrat hero. Before he let the loonies out of the bin, you would have been locked away if you said gender was a social construct; that your gender was what you decreed it to be at that moment.

think of all the things Democrats say that would have resulted in a one way ride to Hotel HaHa in the 60s. the current Democrat platform would have constituted overwhelming evidence of insanity 50 years back.

primer1, towboater and ellis36 like this.
  15. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

it occurred to me that Trump should create a job corps to deal with infrastructure. hire locally, deal with dams and bridges et cetera, put people back to work.

towboater and Mister Dave like this.
  16. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member

If Congress would fund the law to create such a thing, that'd work. Would get a lot of people back to work, and would address a bit of the failing infrastructure. Can't imagine it'd be well-managed, though. "Pork" throughout and red-tape abounds.

I recall how wonderfully quickly the downed overpasses and bridges, in the Los Angeles area, got repaired following the Northridge quake in the 1990s. They tossed the book out the window and simply got down to business. So far as I know, better, cheaper, faster than it could ever have been done via the "normal" process.

During the ramp-up to WWII, there were precious few people sufficiently skilled in aircraft building, engine mechanics and whatnot, once all "the boys" got into the military. So they crafted training programs throughout many of the big companies, many of the government departments ... and got folks up to speed. Fast. Could easily be done again, with some willpower. And the "muscle" could quickly get to where it's needed, despite not having enough people in given roles at the moment.

Likelihood of any such thing happening, though? I wouldn't hold my breath. The "usual suspects" are tasked with considering such a thing.

towboater likes this.
  17. c3shooter

I was involved with a good part of disaster recovery- post earthquake and post hurricane.

The mechanism to get that done already exists- they are called General Contractors. They have the procedures to hire various trades, plan and oversee work, and see that specs are met.

How did work get done so quickly after things like Northridge? The government PAID for speed. Contracts with offered with a whopping penalty for being late, and a whopping bonus for being early. Meant that workers would be scheduled and paid overtime. That suppliers and subcontractors would be offered more for prompt action. In some cases, the bonuses were higher than the base contract- and they worked like crazy. They pulled equipment and crew off of low priority jobs- and paid the low penalties for being late on those jobs.

Depending on whether you need roads, bridges, dams, building, powerplants- I know about 3 dozen generals that could do the job- if the money is there. Names like Fluor Daniel, Granite, Flatirons, Clarke, Kramer, KB&R, Skanska and the like.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The groundwork is already in place. It was set up during the depression and called the WPA and the CCC. They built roads and worked on national parks. Some of their work still exists today. Hoover Dam was built during the depression. Under budget and ahead of schedule.

towboater and winds-of-change like this.
  19. SRK97

Why dont women refer to their friends as their buddies?

Oldoutlaw and towboater like this.
  20. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Because those are sweater puppies, and that would just be weird.

Oldoutlaw, Trez and SRK97 like this.