Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

So is our library.
    Laundromats are open here. Considered essential.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Cinder- I am facing an even bigger temptation. Local used book shop- about 1500 sq ft. Have been a customer there for about 30 years. When owner passed away 8 years ago, her daughter took over the business- and now SHE wants to retire- and has the business up for sale...….. and I have some available investment cash,

My quandary is..... do I want to buy a bookstore?

3. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Of COURSE you do! You could hire Cinder to run it!

4. crash11049

crash11049 Well-Known Member Supporter

I love the feel of a book in hand, I purchase vintage books to fulfill that need.
    I have tried the digital versions of books... but they were less than satisfying.
    The problem with opening a book store now, is that we live in a click and get world.
    I wonder if today's information stream has regretfully rendered printed books along the same path as the vhs tape.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  5. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Take cash, and leave the cards at home. Works for me.

6. jigs-n-fixture

Amazon, kindle versions. And, things out of copyright are very inexpensive or free.

7. jigs-n-fixture

Got to be careful buying something that you treasure. had a Buddy in high school, weighed about 260-lbs.

Inherited a bund of money when his grandmother died. Bought his favorite doughnut shop. I figured he eat himself to death in a year or so.

I ran into him about six months later. He’d lost 80-lbs.

I was impressed, he’d struggled with weight when we were in school.

It wasn’t a diet. He was running the doughnut shop, and after about the second week, he couldn’t stand the smell of anything fried. After a month he couldn’t stand anything sweet.

I might be the same way with a bookstore.

But, probably not.

towboater likes this.
  8. winds-of-change

Only if you want to come out of retirement...........again.

9. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

66 percent of small businesses fail within 3 years. 80 percent of bookstores and restaurants fail within 1 year

I talked to a woman who owns a used bookstore in the big burg ( 9000 people ) where I shop. I asked her how she does it. "romance novels".

you do not own a business. it owns you. good help has always been hard to find. the mantra of the businessman: "I have not had a vacation since I got this place".

my father worked in a bakery. they had a policy: take all the pastries you want. take them home to the wife and kids. glazed rounds - the fluffy octagons - were the first to go. then, cinnamon rolls. then fried. you will find no pastries in my house.

a plate of NO!:

[​IMG]

10. winds-of-change

What happened to DWMiller? Has anyone been in touch with him?

towboater and boatme98 like this.
  11. winds-of-change

Daoust nat. Anyone seen him lately? I know he was fighting cancer.

towboater and boatme98 like this.
  12. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not the one.
    I am not a people person. Of course I might be a book-people person. That might be different.

towboater likes this.
  13. Cinderocka1989

I worked for Quiznos in high school. I couldn't eat a sandwich for years after that. I'm starting to like them again but I still have to be in the right mood to want one.

14. Cinderocka1989

I love technology.
    I love actual, physical books more.
    My friends have all told me I should get a Kindle. It's not the same.

winds-of-change and towboater like this.
  15. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, but I'm just not a Kindle person.

ellis

16. microadventure

kindles = hats. one more thing to break, lose, leave behind. one more battery to charge. where's that damned Kindle? ( crack! ) never mind, I found it.

I can't read paperbacks. the print is too small. my thumb gets in the way of the print at the bottom of the page. if it's thicker than my thumb, it's like holding a mousetrap open. you have to rotate it to get light into the crack.

ellis36 likes this.
  17. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

<--- Still reads books made of paper but doesn't get them from book stores. :(

Public service announcement:

[​IMG]

:D

18. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Of course you do! Just think, you will spend enough money there to make yourself rich.:p:p:p

winds-of-change likes this.
  19. microadventure

the thing about used books - the store gets a used book. the staff all reads it. when they sell it, it's still what it was when they got it: a used book. appreciation without depreciation

primer1 and winds-of-change like this.
  20. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Finally found my Lee reloading manual, I have a Lyman manual but the Lee manual has A LOT more loads

Caveman Jim, towboater and austin92 like this.