Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

ATVs are an absolute blast.

Ours is a Suzuki King Quad 750. It will haul ***. It's hit 70+ on the pavement. It's been been though many a mile of dry creek bed, mountain trail, and though untamed wilderness. Nowadays, we don't ride it hard anymore. It's mainly used it to check fence lines, heard the neighbor's cattle off our land for the umpteenth time, and pull small trailers around the property.

If you are doing anything more than just calmly riding from place to place on your property, definitely wear a helmet. The full frontal type. My mother went up a steep hill and didn't quite make it. The ATV basically landed on top of her. She walked away with a broken nose and a minor concussion. Without that helmet, she'd either be dead or severely impaired. I've been thrown a time or two from one when I've gotten a little too rambunctious. Helmets save lives.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    crash11049, ellis36 and boatme98 like this.
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Spent a memorable couple of weeks about 20 miles west of Gila Bend AZ. In August. Then moved over to Needles CA. I had a case of bottled water in the trunk of my rental car. Bottles were too hot to touch. Those were construction projects where we had (no joke) employees assigned duty as turtle shepherds.

boatme98 and winds-of-change like this.

3. xring3

xring3 Well-Known Member

For c3shooter

Attached Files:

c3shooter likes this.
  4. PeeJay1313

PeeJay1313 Well-Known Member Supporter

I short bit ago I got my first one as well..2018 YFZ450RSE... Crap she's fast and mean as hell. But I'm almost 50. 10 months later, only 4.5 hours later on the meter, I traded it in on a 2019 Outlander 4x4.. My bones appreciate it ..

5. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

When we were kids we would attach a rope to my buddies ATV and have someone crawl into a plastic feed bag feet first with the rope in their hand. We'd drag them around the horse fields and try to make them hit as many poop piles as we could. Surprisingly nobody ever got hurt.

towboater, ellis36, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  6. PeeJay1313

7. PeeJay1313

Hell ya the 450 was fun... wheelies, jumps and out running most competitors.. End of the night, sore bones said, "your to old for this sh$$".. Grow up old man...

8. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

PJ you are still a kid. Big thing around here is the Polaris Razor and the Can Am is gaining ground. 1000cc turbos that start at $30K. Needless to say I dont have one and no plans on getting one. They may be fun but they are dirty. The Jeep had windows and AC which my wife very much appreciated. She has no interest in an open ATV.

9. c3shooter

A note to all that ride ATVs- several years back, We were building a new beltway around Richmond. Such roads are never built to completion over their entire length- at this end, we are pouring final pavement, at THAT end, still grubbing stumps and grading land.

Group of youngsters came out over a weekend, dodged all the road closed signs, and were racing. At the end of the pavement there was a jersey barrier. Also called K-rail, it is a 4,000 lb concrete traffic barrier. At an estimated speed of 60, kid hit the barrier at a right angle. Moved the barrier 17 inches, broke roughly half the bones in his body.

He lived. You don't want to know how long he was in hospital.

Pay attention to where you ride, don't be stupid.

10. c3shooter

[​IMG]

I want one of these- a Mahindra Roxor- scaled down version of the WW2 Willys jeep. Diesel, 55 mph top speed, not street legal- but they are about $32K.

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, we'd tie a garbage can lid or some other sled like device to the back of our little Honda three wheeler whenever there was snow on the ground (rare) and see how long we could ride it before we fell off. It's probably a good thing that old Honda couldn't go very fast.

primer1, ellis36, SRK97 and 1 other person like this.
  12. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

C3, there's a kit available to upgrade them and make them legal.
    Don't remember the cost but it wasn't much.

ellis36 likes this.
  13. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, TW! Calmly riding place to place on my property is exactly my plan. I have about 100 acres of fields and woods I live on that is my old home place. I just want to be able to wander around and "see stuff" through the seasons without getting deer ticks and chiggers all over me! I rode a Harley many years so any wild hairs I might have had are worn down to stubble. :)

if I had anyone to ride with me I might have bought a side-by-side but it just seems natural for me to sit in a saddle rather than on a seat.

PJ, I think they had an Outlander on display where I bought mine. Good looking machine!

ellis

14. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Mitsubishi-Jeep-from-japan.—Built-for-the-JDF.—Diesel-version-of-the-last-US-military-jeep-built-by-Mitsubishi-in-japan-w/-six-cylinder-diesel.

Torque-monsters.—

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ#Mitsubishi_Jeep

Keyboard-is-broke.—no-space-bar.—the-nine-keys-on-left-double-strike.

winds-of-change and boatme98 like this.
  15. JTJ

They are selling those Indian Jeeps here but I had no idea what they cost.
    A few years ago I drove a VW powered rail for a week and had a blast. Only 2 wheel drive but it would go places you would not believe. I notice the Baja racers are 2 wheel drive.

boatme98 and ellis36 like this.
  16. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

While in Flagstaff I lived on the edge of Cinder Lake, a flat volcanic field associated with Sunset Crater.
    CinderLake_Image16.jpg
    The lake is famous because in the 1960s it was used as the test are for the development of lunar rovers. NASA used tons of explosives to create lunar like craters on the flat plain.
    fseprd611855.jpg
    This shot is before my neighborhood was built. My house would be about where the yellow line crosses the highway to the north.
    images (16).jpeg
    Any way, while living there I was on the local fire rescue squad.
    The lake is a designated off-road area and people can drive anything they want out there. It's an extremely popular place and on holiday weekends there could be upwards of 50camping rigs with innumerable ATVs, sand buggies, and other off-road inventions.
    One day the fire Dept. got a medical call. A collision of 2 ATVs with injuries. It was a weekday and just myself and the chief are home, so out we went.
    We roll out to edge of the field and look, there they are about a 1/4 mile out, right in front of us. We go out to them and realize, in all this acerage where you can see for about a mile and a half in every direction, these are the only 2 vehicles out there!
    The chief went nuts!
    While he's taping up a broken arm (the only real injury) he's going on to the guy about how stupid they are, what were they doing riding so close, how could they possibly collide n all that area, and so on.
    Freaking hilarious!

Another funny thing. Back then were there more boats registered in Arizona than any other state in the US!
    Pretty good for a desert, eh? That was because everything but tubes had to be registered, even kayaks and canoes. Plus there are a few huge lakes, so there's tons of small trailerable boats there.
    So, inevetiably , we'd get people coming in the are towing small boats, looking for the Cinder Lake they'd seen on a map. :D

17. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

Here's one for you blokes and sheilas................ How stupid is the Human Race?:D

I refer to the panic buying here in Australia by the sheep who have panicked and have hit the shops for mainly dunny paper and now stuff like nappies, tinned tucker, hand sanitiser etc and basically emptied shelves because the media has scared the living **** out of the easily offended and easily panicked mob.
    One major retailer has now stated that it won't be giving refunds to those who've bought dunny paper by the truckload and now want to return it for a refund which makes me think that they've brought it to make a profit out of it and now find that maybe this is going to be a bigger failure than a politician's promise.

towboater, ellis36 and JTJ like this.
  18. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

On the subject of quad bikes I have a 700 Yamaha Kodiak that has more balls than a knackery well at least more than I'm willing to use at least but it's got the get up and go to chase pigs across an open 5- 10,000 acre paddock or 4wding with a mate or 2 in the scrub.
    Best I got out of it was 93kph before I started to run out of paddock but my son got it up to 103kph and it still had more on the noise button.

towboater and ellis36 like this.
  19. JTJ

Cinders is where I drove that rail. Also ran my Jeep and Tracker on the tamer trails.

boatme98 likes this.
  20. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

what does that mean in English?

donthav1 likes this.