Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

That's great Winds, it won't be long till you are back kicking with the Rockettes!!

boatme98 likes this.
  2. F4U

It wasn't really a random thought at the time, but it is a bad idea to crank up the volume on a ZZ Top song when the roads are icy! :eek::eek:

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

haha. Rockettes? I’m short and fat. Today my feet were pretty sore. I’m paying the price.

4. F4U

Don't sell yourself short Winds I bet you can kick with the best of them!!

All kidding aside Winds, the pt people are your friends even though it seems they are trying to kill you. Try to do just a little more then they proscribe, if they say do 10 of an exercise, do 11 or 12, not 20. If they say "do these exercises 3 times a day" maybe do them 4 times a day every other day. Above all listen to your body, it will tell how much is too much. Been through this twice with my shoulder, stretching exercises are important, strength will come in time, but range of motion only comes from stretching the effected joints.

I don't have all my strength back yet, but I got 99% range of motion back in that shoulder. And it is my shooting shoulder, I can shoot whatever without worrying about recoil dislocating my shoulder, which wasn't true before the surgery. My PT guy was a hunter which didn't hurt my shooting goals any.

ellis36 likes this.
  5. winds-of-change

I haven’t started PT yet. I’m pretty sure I will after the next Dr appt.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

7. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Just gimme the cortisone shot and I'll be outta here.

Went to a PT session once just to see what it was about. Never went back. I don't need to pay for a simple flexibility regimen I can do at home.

8. winds-of-change

But they have the knowledge to know what flexibility regime, how often, etc. Yes, then you can do it at home. They also have resistance bands, certain equipment to help build muscle. There are physical therapy assistants who guide you through the exercises but the actual physical therapist who designs the therapy for you must have a Masters degree and the requirement is moving towards needing a Doctorate. There’s a lot of knowledge of anatomy behind those exercises designed for you. And knowledge of what works and what doesn’t.

Mister Dave and ellis36 like this.
  9. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on the situation. I had a frozen shoulder and did go once. I learned there that for me there was nothing special there that I couldn't do at home for free. The session wasn't cheap and I didn't have someone paying my way.

I also had back surgery and every time I called for more pain killers the nurses there would rag on me about taking meds and I need to go to PT. So later I asked my surgeon if I needed PT and he said "No". He never had an issue refilling my meds, and when I asked him why the help kept ragging on me about it he laughed and said "They're trained that way".

As for the shoulder, the cortisone did the job and everything was fine. I just needed to stop doing what caused it in the first place. I had a habit of leaning on it while at my desk. I got a new chair.... end of story. :)

winds-of-change and ellis36 like this.
  10. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Sitting with your wallet in your back pocket causes lots of back and hip issues.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  11. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

It's not good for the leather seat of your vehicle, either.

ellis

OLD Ron and primer1 like this.
  12. c3shooter

Some time back I picked up a well loved Hi-Standard Model B .22 pistol. Rummaging thru safe, decided to pull it out for cleaning and lube. Checking manual on takedown (had been a while) Pistol was made in 1939. Owner's manual was a folded card- front, inside and back- definitely pre-lawyer.

What really got me was the price on that card. $20. Yeah, they are well over that now!

Just noticed unusual seral number. 4 1776.

13. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

Nice
    . 199697995.jpeg

towboater likes this.
  14. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

I'm finally going to finish up getting my armed security license this weekend. I've finished the class portion, now all I need to do is finish the firearms course and qualify. I'm going to be going through at least 400 rounds of 40 S&W, so I'm going to know my new P226 really well by the end of it. :D

It should be fun.

15. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

We had Hoodsie cups. A New England staple.
    db2dafc5779dbd3cce8cb8488d524e71.jpg
    Chocolate vanilla cups. After you finished the ice cream, you saved the sticks. Used them for all kinds of stuff.

OLD Ron likes this.
  16. winds-of-change

I couldn’t stand the wooden spoons. I had to use a plastic spoon.

We would scrape them on the cement to sharpen them to a point.

ellis36 and boatme98 like this.
  17. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

My Grandma used to spank me with a wooden spoon when I was very young. She chose the slotted spoons because they stung more.

18. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

I have a Ruger Standard, made in 1955. When i bought it off gunbroker 10 years ago, i was pleasantly suprised to find it came with the original box & manual (same sort of deal, card folded 2 times). Apparently at some point, someone paid $37.50 for it.
    20200306_225256.jpg 20200306_225304.jpg

towboater, boatme98 and Rifling82 like this.
  19. c3shooter

Bought one at the PX in 1971. That was the PX price back then- $37.50.