Random Thoughts Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Mar 6, 2009.

1. OLD Ron

OLD Ron Well-Known Member

You hit it boatme !
    It is all about the money & a reason to stop you . A bunch of lights look nice going down the road at night ...... but don't let one be burned out ! Like the light over your plates ..... here is your ticket & do you mind me looking around your truck ...... those tires seem to need replacing ...... have you been drinking .... all this as a truck falling apart from Mexico passes by .

Caveman Jim and boatme98 like this.
  2. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

And, my plow lights are too high. So, I asked, “Exactly where do ou think I can mount them any lower, and not have them in the vision path, or bouncing around on the plow?” He didn’t have an answer.

IMG_8916.jpg

I added them, (at a cost of a couple of hundred dollars, and a lot of hours), when the same officer gave me grief because when I put the plow all the way up to drive down the road, it obscures the headlights and turn signals.

IMG_8666.jpg

Caveman Jim, towboater, SRK97 and 2 others like this.

3. xring3

xring3 Well-Known Member

Question.....when you call in a takeout order to a restaurant how much should you tip if any?

4. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

Depends on how obligated you feel.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Why does every single actor in The Longest Day have such GODAWFUL Trigger Discipline ?

6. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Zero. Tips are for folks that make less an minimum wage,like wait staff and bussers.
    If you're picking up food, the people handling it, cooks and usually the hostess, are making real wages and are not included in tip sharing, so there's no reason to tip.

Caveman Jim, JTJ and ellis36 like this.
  7. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

If they walk it out to your car, maybe a buck or two at most. If you have to go in to get it, not a thing.

8. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I went down the Shenandoah river yesterday with my buddy and camped out around a fire, 15-25 mph winds will really move a canoe fast but I about froze

9. xring3

xring3 Well-Known Member

Just wondering. Here’s what I do. If I walk in and order I tip a dollar. Most of the time the waitress takes and brings out the food. As a regular customer the tip sometimes gets me a complementary drink while I wait or a little larger helping or something extra. At a drive through I don’t tip.

10. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

If you don't already know this, it may be useful next camping trip :
    1) You can hang a space blanket behind you to reflect the fire's heat back onto your back and to cut the wind some .
    2) You can construct a " reflector using tree branches and foliage . Sleep with the fire to one side and the reflector to the other .
    3) AYOR , you can put heated rocks in your clothing or sleeping bag . Chemical heat packs are better .
    4) Exercise to warm up . Whirl arms to get blood to hands and prevent frostbite . Tuck hands under arms to warm them .

5) Building your fire in a trench or pit may help it accumulate heat . Ideally, you want to end up with a lot of glowing coals rather than a roaring big fire .

Useful gear to take along :
    1) Emergency tube shelter , triangular space shelter , tarp or contractor grade trash bags for shelter construction .

2) Other stuff : Emergency rain poncho for various uses including ground sheeting , clothes or camp mattress to sleep on to insulate you from the cold ground , tent or bivy shelter .

primer1 and SRK97 like this.
  11. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Re: take out food- Couple of local BBQ joints and 1 Chinese restaurant we frequent for takeout. Same staff taking orders and waiting tables. Tip jar at the register. I keep $2 bills in my wallet, and toss one in the bucket. They do good food, work hard, and I get a big smile (and sometimes, extra hush puppies) Ever notice that breakfast is cheaper than lunch- lunch cheaper than dinner? Keep my coffee cup filled, and I'll overtip my breakfast waitress. They work just as hard for a $5 breakfast as a $12 dinner. and I have a soft spot for waitresses.

Camping- want to sleep warmer? Besides the good tips given, eat popcorn for a before bed snack. Carbs stoke your furnace. Ensolite pad, space blanket and a poncho liner, I'm usually good for 3 seasons.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I probably felt pretty warm for a while, we sipped and shot down a bottle of Jameson Stout and a leftover half bottle of baileys.

14. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Any AR upper should work with any AR lower if they are in spec.
    Pandemic, do you shoot heavy bullets 70+ grains? 1:7 is not so good with 55 grain. I have mostly 1:9 which does great with 55 and 62. I have 1 with 1:8 that does better with 62 than 55.

Caveman Jim and PANDEMIC like this.
  16. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Yeah I know 55 grain is not so good with 1:7. But its all I have for now. I'll get heavier grains for .223 and 5.56 at a later time for my 1:7.

1:9 is what I was looking for or at least 1:8 but those uppers are a little harder to find. I guess they just sell fast.

And how do I do know if both my upper and lower are in spec??

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Yesterday I didn’t use any walking aids at all. First time since my surgery in October. A little slow start after sitting a while but I think I did pretty well. I am learning to walk again. Woo Hoo.

Caveman Jim, BK3220, JTJ and 5 others like this.
  18. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep on keeping on, winds!

ellis

19. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

endeavor to persevere

boatme98 and ellis36 like this.
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

55 & 62 are the lowest cost ammo.Heavier weights are going to get expensive. There are other places than PSA. Delta sells parts and will assemble for a reasonable fee. They have lots of daily specials. Do a little shopping. PSA has the Ruger for $500.
    https://www.deltateamtactical.com/
    Ruger AR 556
    https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/214430

PANDEMIC likes this.