Random thoughts on survival.

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Rex in OTZ, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Today Id came across some notes Id taken during a wilderness first aid course.

One their topics was natural disaster and what current ambulance per population density, on average its one ambulance per 135K people, imagine a post disaster emergency response would be rather slow in responding.

One fellow Id worked with was talking about post Katrina shutdown of transportation. He'd mentioned using a chainsaw to clear miles of road.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My home county has 1 ambulance per 3139 people. However, the issue is going to be mobility- assuming you can reach the patient, can you reach the hospital?

3. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

That can be an issue, if say a earth quake in a populated area the ambulance may be mobbed.

A couple weeks back Id volunteered to help out at a local Vet clinic.
    Got to see the veterinarian work, had me prepping the area for surgery. Being 540 air miles from a major city like Anchorage, the Vet flies out every 4 months for a 3-4 day general clinic of Spay and Neuter, worked on a leg tumor, the experence was esp interesting.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  4. glangelius

glangelius New Member

As a child of the "duck and cover" period, my survival philosophy features a "shelter in place" mentality. My family all lives within 5 minute walk, in a rural farming village. My plans are intentionally vague, with a basis in community, helping all to be able to fend off the Orcs, both organized and disorganized.

Depending on government services is a hollow wish. They will all be overwhelmed and depleted in the lifetime of a small insect.

Greg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The government does have lots of body bags and ammunition.

6. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

The only government I trust is a 45-70 :)

7. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The Rocky Mountains attracts hundreds of would be Mountain explorers each summer. The Fall hunting season brings many out of shape urban cardiac patents to be.
    The hospitals are often hours away. Every small town in these visited areas has Heliports. The bright Red Choppers stay busy. :)

8. c3shooter

The fall hunting season brings many hunters that stumble across the remains of some of the would be Mountain explorers. Mother Nature has no pity.

The most sensible thing I can recall that Colorado did- was to pass a law that if you require rescue- you are going to pay for it. Small rural counties were getting bankrupted by dingbats that decided to ski from Telluride to Crested Butte in January. If you buy a hunting or fishing license, part of that money went to a rescue fund.

To get back to the original topic, in the event of a widespread natural disaster, not only will hospitals and med centers be swamped- they may have their own set of problems. Most will have emergency power for a while- but I have lived thru getting emergency WATER supplies to a 500 bed hospital when the city water failed after a tropical storm/ flood. They will have not only a limited amount of medical supplies/ drugs, but limited amounts of food. Can their staff get TO the hospital?

I would be looking closer to home- our local doctors, nurses, EMTs- and yes, our veterinarians! What emergency medical supplies- and KNOWLEDGE- have you prepared in advance? Don't tell me what you can look up on the internet- if your ISP is down.

9. CaptMidnight

Yes, I think most of the Western Counties must suffer the cost. There have been a number of law suits regarding the charges for rescue. Courts have ruled that people may risk their lives and other lives to avoid the cost of a rescue. There are some fines levied on people who trespass and require costly rescues. ;)

10. MetalWolf

MetalWolf New Member

Most veterinarians are more Intune even to the human anatomy and seem to be a it more capable in some cases as their patients can not talk and tell them what it wrong or where it hurts so I would not hesitate seeking help from a veterinarian in an disaster situation warranted it

11. JTJ

Where I live (many retirees) a wide spread natural disaster like Yellowstone blowing would be really serious for people that are dependent on meds. A lot of them would not survive 30 days without meds. The devastation would be so wide spread FEMA or any other emergency response group would be spread very thin and a lot of their facilities would be destroyed or non functional. We have seen many natural disasters up close thanks to the electronics we take for granted. There is plenty of untouched territory with the hurricanes and earthquakes that an emergency response can be readily made. If Yellowstone decides to blow it could wipe out everything within a 500 mile radius. Then there is the ash fall that will blanket everything down wind meaning East. The high altitude ash will cause problems around the world. Agriculture will suffer greatly and a lot of people may starve.

12. CaptMidnight

Well if everything around Yellowstone is wiped out for 500 miles there will be some big fire sales. Then if the World is hit by a giant Meteor the Pacific Ocean will be evaporated?
    To be real honest our current Presidency is doing more damage to America than any thing else. These natural disasters' are all a maybe. Obama's last days in office will be a real change in the Democracy :(

13. sandog

sandog Member

The town I live in is being over run by newcomers, most all of them city people from Southern Cal. and Denver. On the news a couple of days ago, they announced that a hunter got lost for a few days in the Bridger Range near town. It is basically a big ridge that runs south to north. Peaks up to 11,000 feet, about 6,000 feet above the valley floor. Only side canyons are like a 1/2 mile deep.
    All you have to do if you are on the west side is walk downhill and you are back among ranches and subdivisions. If you are on the east side, all you have to do is walk downhill and you are among ranches and custom homes. ?????
    It's not like there are mazes of twisting canyons, nor was there any disorienting fog or white out. I guess more idiots in any place will mean more rescue attempts. My wife, who is an ER Nurse, has a solution for stupid people, natural selection. The weak and stupid will fade away and quit clouding up the gene pool.

14. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Im lacking in the food prep area, but i keep an excellent stock of medical supplies and my book shelves are stacked with medical and survival books. My wife is in nursing school now and that will definetly help once she is a licensed nurse and has more medical knowledge. I think my ammo supply is adequate for my needs, but i could be wrong depending on how many goons want to pay a visit to my area. I need to brush up on my hunting/trapping skills for sure, especially if the disaster was long enough to deplete local food supplies. I dont have the funds to stock years worth of food etc. I just prep for the usual disasters in my area like hurricanes and blizzards. You never know how ill prepared you actually are until disaster really does strike. People who buy a case or two of bottled water have no clue. A family of four will easily goes through a case of water per day in the summer.

15. JTJ

I agree with you on Obama but Yellowstone will blow. When is the question. The people of Pompeii were certainly surprised. The San Andreas Fault in CA will rupture and probably go 8+ but again when. If the San Andreas goes it could trigger Yellowstone or vice versa. There are lots of other faults and earthquake activity all over the world has increased. It could be just better coverage that let us hear of these disasters. Of course a good pandemic would take a huge toll. The Ebola scare was a wake up call.

16. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

This am was talking about winter gear, we have a new guy in, from the south east USA.
    Winter attire in North West Arctic.
    What youd wear walking 2-3 blocks to work is different than what youd wear on a 200+ mile trip by snowmobile.
    As we dont have extensive roads in this part the state you travel by airplane (average seat fare $200+) or snowmobile when enough ice to safely travel.
    Walking 3 blocks to work at -28F what you wear depends on wind and your tasks for the day.
    Traveling outdoors for 2-3 hours requires different level of clothing and flexability, just sitting on a snowmobile and along for the ride a person can just about get by with minimum 'Im just stepping out for a few minuets garb', if and when you do get stuck or broken down and need to walk or exert yourself and prespire is whare things get serious.
    You may start out thinking a simple 28 mile journey could turn into somthing more, nice weather on the inland could be a ground blizzard on the coast (OTZ) traveling with the wind or against the wind can be very uncomfortable if your not dressed right, goggles are a great thing to have, face mask as well and some sort of neck warmer and head gear that can stay put in 40mph winds.
    Gloves are a item you should carry spares.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  17. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

Ramdom thought.
    Other night was watching a tv series kids had on dvd.
    Walking Dead, watched as in more than one scene, character's were yanking ready stripped wires and hot wiring vehicles.
    Using a Haynes truck manual to check the resistor for a blower motor on a Suburban had me wondering with all the system's of a modern vehicle, just how far you get just shorting wires together without intimate knowledge of that particular vehicle's wiring.
    Auto makers dont give you ample wire to go pulling loose wire bundles to begin with.
    A person would need shop manuals with wiring diagram's to get anything to run.
    On quite a few the new model Ski Doo snowmobiles if you lose the computer chip encripted tether you have a snowmobile shaped piece of junk, with no hopes of hot wiring the computer to get it home.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  18. c3shooter

I can hot wire my 1985 F150. No computer, no fuel injection. Jumper wire to ignition point on the solenoid switch, then jump hot side to crank side of solenoid.

New vehicle- on board computer? You will probably not FIND a solenoid switch!

19. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Member

One thing that all ways strikes me about a lot of preppers is that they don't seem to be in good enough shape to walk a mile. I have gotten fat since I started working behind a desk but am fixing that. How are you supposed to run and gun if you get winded toting your AR-15 to the bench at the range?

20. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Many think they are good enough at gun to not need the run. Some are, some aren't. Hopefully we won't find out who is good enough.