Random Questions Thread........

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Jun 6, 2011.

1. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't know that I've ever heard another term besides a stove or plate lifter/handle. I suppose the ones for the pots were "pot handles" and the ones for the grates or plates were "lifters."

Though, I suppose there's probably a technically-correct term that was originally used for those things. Lots of neighbors had them in the '60s and early '70s, when ducted heating/AC began to get installed everywhere.

EDIT: There once was a company called Summit Products (from Norton, OH) that made cast-iron parts ... and they called it a "lid lifter." (click)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    winds-of-change likes this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Thank you. My friend got a wood stove but she doesn’t have one of those.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Since I am over the statistical norm for longevity does that mean I am late for my funeral?:confused::rolleyes:

4. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Winds, they are correct, lid lifter. You'll want to check the width of the opening, there are different sizes for different brands of stoves.
    They make them in solid cast and solid cast with spring handle. The spring handles stay cool if you leave it in the lid.
    Any place that sells wood stoves should have them in stock. $12 - $15 would be my guess.

OLD Ron and winds-of-change like this.
  5. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I believe Ellis is right. The thing-a-magig to lift the that is a lid lifter, or a whatchamacallit. I'm not sure, even though I used one a few times.

ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  6. tinbucket

Fashionably Late. You have a lot of living to do, that is slowing down your arrival. :)

OLD Ron, boatme98 and primer1 like this.
  7. G66enigma

G66enigma Well-Known Member Supporter

Growing up, when we didn't have the foggiest of what the correct name for some little thingy was, we'd generally refer to it as the gizmo, or whatchamacallit, or doohickey. Worked well, and everyone knew what we meant.

Like, say, with andirons and the fender by the fireplace. We simply called 'em "pokers" and the "holder."

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Lid lifter is correct. For the oven, plate at bottom is a heat diffuser.

9. winds-of-change

Hmmmm.....I didn’t know there were different sizes. Thanks for the info.

10. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

They probably using hand signs, and the other guy acknowledges.

Note: "o" denotes a short sound; while a "-" is for a longer sound.

- When stopped, air brakes applied, pressure equalized.

- - Release brakes, proceed.

0 0 Acknowledgement of any signal not otherwise provided for.

0 0 0 When stopped, back up; acknowledgement of hand signal to back up.

0 0 0 0 Request for signal to be given or repeated if not understood.

- 0 0 0 Flagman protect rear of train.

0 0 0 - Flagman protect front of train.

- - - - Flagman may return from west or south.

- - - - - Flagman may return from east or north.

- - 0 - Approaching public grade crossing.

0 - Inspect brake system for leaks or sticking brakes.

A series of short blasts is sounded in an emergency.

primer1 likes this.
  11. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Upon doing a deep dive into my memory, going back to the 1940's when my mother cooked on a wood stove, our name for lid lifters was "eye lifter" because the the round things we are calling "lids" were called "eyes." Cast-iron pots and kettles were made to fit down in the hole when the eye was removed for direct contact with the fire for faster heating.

Some eyes had a smaller eye inset for heating smaller pots quickly.

Smoke did not come out the opening because the chimney draft would pull air into the opening if it was uncovered.

ellis

My Mother's iron kettle.
    P1030050.jpg

OLD Ron, boatme98 and JTJ like this.
  12. JTJ

A lot of those older women were strong from lifting those cast iron pots and pans.
    My wife's mother in Austria used a wood stove. They also had a ceramic tile covered oven that heated the house and was used for baking bread. 13 loaves at a time. Huge garden plus chickens, sheep and milk cows. Got them through WW2.

OLD Ron, boatme98, primer1 and 2 others like this.
  13. winds-of-change

I’m asking fir opinions in a decent everyday carry pocket knife. This will be the third one I’ll be buying for Balota. Maybe he won’t lose this one or forget he has it in him and have it confiscated by TSA.

My second question is what does TSA do with all the nice things they confiscate?

14. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

15. JTJ

Kershaw Cryo. About $35 available on Amazon. I have the Cryo and Cryo 2 which is bigger. Sad to say they are made in China. When you are packing stick a small self addressed padded envelope with postage in his pocket or you could strip search him before he leaves.

16. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

Different things. Anything that can be sold gets auctioned. TSA is weird, they can't profit off the stuff so it usually goes to the state where the airport is located for sale at state govt. auctions.

Bottles are tossed.

Weapons are supposedly destroyed. TSA says they have strict theft rules but I'd bet some of biggest knife collections in the US are held by TSA employees. ;)

17. winds-of-change

Possibly even guns, too.

18. JTJ

Not to mention what is stolen from baggage.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  19. tinbucket

i have several but one I got from deceased co worker of my wife is a Boker, I hesitate to get up and go get it to get specifics. Two substantial blades in a design that was old when I was kid. Kind of looks like it was designed for heavy duty use. One thing for sure the blades seem near as hard as the stone.

20. donthav1

donthav1 Well-Known Member

I've told my wife & a couple other relatives that if i go before them, i want them to arrange for me to be late to my own funeral. Anybody that knows me should appreciate that. I would like the hearse to show up late, like full on everyone seated for the funeral, the organist playing, & the eulogy about to start & the funeral director burts in wheeling me & the casket in going "sorry, sorry, traffic was really bad, the uh, the car wouldn't start, uh...flat tire, ummm...."

Suprisingly no one thinks that's as funny as i do.