Random Questions Thread........

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by winds-of-change, Jun 6, 2011.

1. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

I'll make it with 3 or 4 cheeses and a nice crispy bread crumb topping.
    Sometimes I'll add other stuff. Red pepper chunks, onions, ham, ground beef, or pepperoni.

Caveman Jim and winds-of-change like this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Balota does not like Mac n cheese. :eek:

3. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

For the record, polenta = grits with a fancy name for the snobs. Get some stone ground grits from a real grist mill, preferably from an old variety of corn, like Jimmy Red corn (once a favorite of moonshiners). Fantastic stuff and far better than quick grits or (shudder) instant.

4. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

Calling instant grits grits is like calling Del Taco Mexican food.

5. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

I tried the instant version ONCE.... GAAAROSSSSS!!! :eek:

6. winds-of-change

Very true. I order online for some stone ground grits and they are more course ground than grocery store grits. Polenta is usually moist and somehow stuck together. You can slice it and fry it. But I prefer grits in a bowl.
    I have eaten instant grits. If you load it full of cheese, it’s edible. But not my first choice at all. Sometimes I’m too hungry to wait for real grits to cook.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Yep, cheesy grits are my favorite wether solo or topped with 2 over medium eggs in a big bowl...:D

winds-of-change likes this.
  8. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

So I've never had grits, anything too grainy bothers me and it sounds grainy. Also I grew up in Utah.

Pasquanel and boatme98 like this.
  9. boatme98

Heck Cinder, you should be used to EVERYTHING being grainy the way the wind blows that dust around Utah. :D

10. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe that's why I don't like grainy things. Also, wyoming was definitely worse with the wind.

schnuffleupagus and boatme98 like this.
  11. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

What?
    Everyone likes mac&cheese.

Maybe he ate a ton as a poor kid and it reminds him of being raised a poor kid.

Like me and shepherds pie

winds-of-change likes this.
  12. winds-of-change

In grade school Balota got sick after eating Mac & cheese once when he was in elementary school. Whether it was the Mac & cheese or not that made him sick, he associates the two. When I crave mac & cheese, I make a casserole with Mac & cheese and mix in some seasoned hamburger meat and call it a ‘casserole’. He’ll eat that just fine. :D I love shepherd’s pie, too.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    schnuffleupagus likes this.
  13. RKB

RKB Well-Known Member

Grits are useful......say, if you are setting a fencepost and run out of Sakrete;)

boatme98, primer1, Oldoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  14. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Neither do I totally disgusting!!:(:(

Oldoutlaw and winds-of-change like this.
  15. winds-of-change

I substitute grits for snowballs in a snowball fight. One hit and I win. Then I eat the rest with cheese for breakfast.
    There are TWO of you?

schnuffleupagus and boatme98 like this.
  16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Was having breakfast in a restaurant in Beckley WV- Biscuits, eggs, ham and grits.
    Waitress brought me a bowl of hot water with grits laying in the bottom of the bowl. Seems the cook had never seen anything except instant grits- so he dumped a couple of spoons of REGULAR grits in a bowl, added hot water.

Fail.

17. boatme98

images (6).jpeg

ellis36 likes this.
  18. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hence the name "grits!"
    Years later a housewife accidentally "overcooked" grits one busy morning and found them to be delicious overcooked and served with butter. :)

ellis

c3shooter and schnuffleupagus like this.