Random Question

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Uptown_General_Roc, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Uptown_General_Roc

Uptown_General_Roc New Member

I close my left eye when I shoot and focus with my right is that just me or other do tha same?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Many people do that. Shooting with both eyes open takes practice. I'm sure some of the guys on here can give you some good tips.

3. Longrange

Longrange New Member

I am left handed but right eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open but the right eye is behind the sights acquiring sight picture. You need to find out if you are right or left eye dominant.

4. Uptown_General_Roc

Never really try shooting with both eyes open and I never try shooting with left eye on sights ... maybe I try that next time I hit tha range

5. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

The fact that you are automatically leaving your right eye open and your left eye closed means that you are right eyed dominate. Takes a lot of practice to shoot with both eyes open.

6. Longrange

Longrange New Member

I disagree. For years I shot thinking I was left eye dominant just because I was left handed. It was instinctive to acquire sight picture with my left eye. After I started taking training courses I found out I was actually right eye dominant, my shooting has improved 10 fold.

Shooting with both eyes open was taught to me by my father when I was a kid. I thought every one shot that way until I got older.

7. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I hate to say this but...
    Hold your hands out in front of you and touch your pointer fingers and thumbs together. Pick an object across the room and aim at it through the diamond you formed. Slowly move your hands back towards your face keeping your eyes on the target. The eye your hands move to is your dominant eye.
    Wow you get tired of hearing and saying that over time.

8. powerstrokin

powerstrokin New Member

Holy. Crap. I just found out I'm right eye dominant and left handed. This explains a lot, even though I do shoot fairly decent already.

How does one learn to shoot this way, or with both eyes? Seems very unnatural to me.

9. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I am left eye dominate and right handed, I roll the sights to the 11:00 to get them in front of my eye....so you will need to roll them to the 1:00. Now for keeping both eyes open it takes practice and concentration.

10. Blade

Blade New Member

I am left eye dominant and right handed as well and follow your same method of 11 o'clock. When I first started shooting it was suggested I use my right eye. Until I realized it was easier to focus with my left my shooting was not very accurate enough to hit the target, just not to my satisfaction.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I actually practice using each eye. I turn my head to the side to align the respective eye with the sights. Almost like taping over the non shooting eye. As this gets easier you find eventually you can readily switch between eyes depending on position.

12. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

It takes practice and a lot of dry firing but you can learn to shoot w both eyes open. Master class shooters can even operate on auto pilot as the brain can be trained to track the sights w/o conscious effort.

IMO, it all begins w establishing "index" and it should not being confused w point shooting.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  13. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

How to improve my accuracy off hand

14. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I'm right handed/right eye dominant but shoot handguns with my left eye open right eye closed. Always been like that,and I am just as accurate that way. Anybody else like this?

15. Uptown_General_Roc

Just shooting with it I tryed shooting with my off hand. Just something you will have too work at practice make perfect. Of topic but I play basketball and I'm as good with my off hand and my dominant hand I shoot jumpshot, Layups,Dunks,pass all with my off hand and I worked at it. Just Practice shooting Good Luck

16. Blade

Blade New Member

I tried this yesterday breaking in my new G30, and to my surprise I shot just as good as if I was only using one eye. I actually enjoyed shooting that way!

17. TT929

TT929 New Member

Practice shooting with both eyes open. You might have to stop, lower your gun, raise it again, and try again. It takes a little practice to get your brain working.

18. dogwalk

dogwalk New Member

Handgun and shotgun shooting is done with both eyes open. Rifle shooting is done with only one eye open. Right handed: right eye open. Don't pay any attention to the dominant eye comments. Just my opinion. dogwalk