Random Fact Thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by texaswoodworker, Oct 17, 2012.

1. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Just as the title suggest, this is a place to post interesting, weird, and usually useless facts. Let's here them. :D

The King Ranch in Texas is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

Texas' largest county is Brewster with 6,208 square miles. That is more square miles than the entire state of Connecticut.

Mageiricophobia is the intense fear of having to cook.

Lawn darts are illegal in Canada.

By law, information collected in a U.S. census must remain confidential for 72 years.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I believe they are illegal in the United States, too. I noticed my Dad has a set in his garage. LOL

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Cool idea...there are more people living at this very moment....than have died in all of history. And...there are more hairs in one square inch of a Sea Otter than on a German Shepards entire body.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

The word woman was said to come from the old english word wyfman which translates to wife of man.

You cant say apple pie with your tounge hanging out of your mouth....now put your tounge back in your mouth and keep scrolling

5. Mason609

Mason609 Active Member

WoC, lawn darts have been banned from manufacturing. Nothing I could find said anything about use or possession, though there were a few groups that said the ones people still have should be destroyed.

In Massachusetts, it is illegal for a man to wear a goatee without a permit (because it spooks the horses).

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Good thing. I would hate to have my 83 year old Dad thrown in jail for possession of lawn darts. LOL

I wouldn't destroy them I was thinking about asking my Dad if I could have them.

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

A typical microwave oven consumes more electricity powering its digital clock than it does heating food. While heating food requires as much as 100 times the power as running the clock does, the microwave heats food less than 1% of the time while the clock is typically always running. Therefore, in total, the clock uses up more electricity.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Water will not conduct electricity.

Water with a few minerals in it is a GREAT conductor- but pure distilled water is not.

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

no other word rhymes with orange, or silver.

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

50% of all "facts" are made up :D

12. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

Neanderthals and predecessors to humans existed at the same time. It is believed the humans wiped them out, but if you are of european decent, there is a good chance you have some neanderthal genes.

The moon is very slowly moving away from the earth.

A day is slightly less than 24 hours long.

If you heated the head of a pin to the temperature of the center of the sun, everyone inside of a 1000 mile radius would die.

Just like there is a theoretical limit to how cold something can get (absolute zero) there is a theoretical limit to how hot something can get, the "planck temperature". More energy could be put into the object, science just has no idea what would happen.

You weigh more in light than in darkness.

Time moves slower around massive objects, such as the great pyramids.

Octopus are one of the few creatures on the planet that can learn through observation.

The mirror in your bathroom is actually green.

Everything you are aware of actually happened about 80ms ago and you will never know what is actually happening in the present until it is the past.

When you move your eyes, your brain erases what you saw while moving them and replaces it with what you saw when they stopped moving. This is why clocks seem to sit still sometimes when you look at them.

13. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Five out of four people don't understand fractions.

14. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I being one if them for the most part. The multiplication of them and division.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

In Onslow county, NC, it is still in the city ordinances of Jacksonville that a man is allowed to beat his wife on the courthouse steps at the stroke of noon on the first Sunday of each month, so long as he uses a stick no wider than his thumb, and does not continue if she loses consciousness. Luckily, this is nullified by state laws (not to mention, hopefully, by morals), which is the only reason it's never been struck from the books.

Dolphins are one of the very few animals that have sex for pleasure besides humans.

The duck billed platypus is amphibious, spends most of it's life in and under water, and lays eggs. It is the only mammal that fits these conditions. Very strange with webbed feet, claws, duck bill, and beaver like tail.

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's nuclear weapons combined.

On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.

Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.

TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.

Nutmeg is extremely poisonous if injected intravenously.

Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.

The longest place name still in use is:
    Taumatawhakatangihangaoauauotameteat uripukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenua kitanatahu
    -- a New Zealand hill.

If you passed gas consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death. .

Some lions mate over 50 times a day.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

Bats always turn left when exiting a cave.

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

And my wife wonders why I want to move back there :rolleyes:

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Aerosmith has been a band since 1970 and they have only ONE, #1 hit on Billboard.

The theme from the movie Armageddon.

JD

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

An average of 2 people per year are beaten to death by Canada geese.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

With all of the random thoughts, pictures, questions...
    Maybe we should petition for a "random" sub forum?