Ranch Rifle Mini Red Dot Mount

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by rrages, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Looks real good. Are the sights Co-witness?

2. COSteve

COSteve Member

I like the look of that sight mount! Compact and where a sight should be aesthetically for me. I went on your webpage and saw that it is pre-order at this time so I'll likely wait until I hear some feedback from actual users, however, I think that might be a winner.

BTW: The webpage says the sight doesn't co-witness with the front sight.

3. sandog

sandog Member

Very slick looking, nice to see another mounting option for a Mini. I see that there is some info on the website, even if none is provided here.
    I could be wrong, but I think for a co-witness, you have to have 3 sights, so the dot optic will co-witness with the other two ( iron sights), I only see 1 iron, the front.

4. bluzman

bluzman Member

Looks great but I will also wait for feedback from users.

5. Misfire51

Misfire51 New Member

Cant use my iron sights , thats the deal breaker for me. Iam sure your product is top quailty, but if the optic fails on my rifle, my quick detach removes it instantly and Iam back at it with my irons. That sight removes the irons completely from the rifle and is it screwed to the gun using the iron sight mount ? Just saying , I wont give up my iron sights.

6. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

i agree 100%. this is a very slick and effective looking red dot system....however.....no irons, no thanks. i want open sights on EVERY gun i have. i personally cannot understand why anyone would purchase a firearm without them or remove them. but i understand & respect that everyone does not agree with me on this stance.

7. Papadkluch

Papadkluch New Member

That is a neat rifle, thinking of getting an AR, but others I know tell me to consider this rifle.
    It makes sense to keep the iron sites as a fall back, if you completely lose the iron site option I could see that as an issue, but I'm new and still learning.

8. COSteve

COSteve Member

Living in Commiefornia as you do, a Mini Ranch Rifle isn't a bad choice because it's not an 'evil' black rifle.

9. AzShooter

AzShooter Member

That looks great. Go with the Red Dot and don't worry about the iron sights. The dot is faster to pick up and will prove to be more accurate. It's a lot easier on the eye and easier to focus on your target. Read the article in American Rifleman from this month. Doug Koenig explains the advantages of the Red Dot.

It's actually faster than the iron sights once you get use to it. Battery life is better than they ever were. Just think. The military uses Aimpoints on their rifles because it's easier to teach the troops.:puk:

10. sandog

sandog Member

You are correct. Dots are faster to pick up, easier on the eye , easier to focus, better in low light. But you can have a red dot optic AND iron sights for backup. Dot sights, the more expensive ones anyway, are rugged and have good battery life, but they can fail, usually when you least expect it. The military uses Aimpoints on their rifles, along with EoTech's and Acog's, but all the M-4's also have their iron sights intact, not removed so they could mount a red dot.
    It's easy to say "don't worry about having irons", after all you probably won't ever need them. But if you do ever need them, they will be worth their weight in gold.
    Some examples of Mini's that have both functional irons and a dot:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. rrages

rrages New Member

I designed the mount specifically because I couldn't stand the Scout type setups nor the rails that bridge the ejection port. The sight makes a usable ghost ring when turned off. Not as precise as a fine iron sight, but plenty good for man sized targets. The dot does co-witness, by the way. Iron sights are almost useless to me these days. Now, where did I leave those glasses?

12. Papadkluch

Papadkluch New Member

I was Looking for Aimpoint optics used by the military and wikipedia (not my favorite source) came up, they have a picture of a soldier with aimpoint, but they still have iron sites.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aimpoint_AB

13. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I love my Aimpoint. But the new Trijicon MRO looks like it could be a winner too. Spend a few extra $$ and get a high quality optic. Especially if the rifle could be used for home defense.

14. sandog

sandog Member

Why can't you stand the scout set ups ?

15. rrages

rrages New Member

I'm a traditionalist, as I'm sure many are, and it just offends my sensibilities to see a sight way out there.

16. sandog

sandog Member

Having a scope anywhere on a Mini is offensive, as it adds too much weight, and degrades the quick handling qualities. I have come to prefer the micro red dots on them. A non magnified dot isn't very good for shooting small groups at longer ranges, or small varmints at longer ranges, but there are better rifles for those two tasks than the Mini. For everything else the Mini with a dot is great.

17. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

Where are these mounts available to purchase ?

18. hawkguy

i just put some rounds through my new mini 14 tactical again. my burris FF is w/o doubt a winner. stayed right on target and is just a great fit for the mini 14 imo. quick and light and nasty.

BUT...my irons remain intact as a capable and rugged back up. shooting with iron sights is a basic and important skill imo....maybe not the best out there, but highly dependable and unlikely to fail.

19. hawkguy

oh, and btw.....i brought 2 friends who were shooting newbs to the range, and for both it was the first time they had ever heard of or shot a mini 14.

they both LOVED it! as i have said before, for all the internet criticism....i have never had anyone shoot my mini that did not like it, in fact....almost all of them absolutely love the mini 14! :) i know when i start letting rounds fly, my mini 14 leaves me with a grin that is impossible to hold back. :D