Ramshot Silhouette in 44 mag

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by rockratt, Feb 2, 2014.

1. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have started carrying the Alaskan for a CCW. W296 has been my main stay powder for 44 mag for years but was looking to work up a new load that is not as hot as what I have now. Make no mistake about it there is nothing wrong with W296 or H110 and could back the charge down. I just want to try something different.
    I was looking at Ramshot data For Silhouette powder and noticed they have a recipe using 200gn HDY XTP bullets that sounds about like what I am looking for.
    I have switched to it in my 45 ACP's and it seems to work very well.
    Have any of you tried it in the 44 mag and what were the results????

2. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

It is dangerous to reduce loads with H110. For reduced loads in 44 I like to use Titegroup. I use it with a 200 grain soft lead bullet. I like 5.0 grains. That is a really light load in a heavy gun. Follow up shots are really quick with my 629. But at 878 fps according to Hodgdon.com that is more than enough power to shoot in any class of IDPA.

I have no experience with Ramshot.

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Awesome Avatar by the way. Is that you?

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i too have no experiance with Ramshot. i have used nothing but Alliant Power Pistol powder for all my pistol loads. i chose it based on the pistol calibers i would be loading for and that it was very versatile. i use it for all my 45 acp loads, my 44 Spl. and 44 Mag. loads and recently added loading for 357 Mag. in there as well. i generally load about mid level on my powder charges and get very good results as far as accuracy and penetration with those loads.

5. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Rick when I say reduce I mean down to around minimum charge. Everything I have loaded now is max charge and I admit it slightly above. They were worked up very carefully for a Ruger Redhawk with a 7-1/2 inch barrel. I am using a lite load of 8.5 grains of Unique with a lead bullet and a CCI 300 primer. I think the book says it is some where in the neighborhood of 950 FPS. It will be less than that out of a 2-1/2 inch barrel. I am in search of something in between.

Thank you. Yes it is. It was taken at an offroad park in Clayton Oklahoma. If I can ever find the time I am coming back out to your part of the world(Montrose-Ouray). That's gods country to me.