raised ribs on trap guns

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by teenagegunnut, Mar 7, 2012.

1. teenagegunnut

teenagegunnut New Member

i i was wondering how the whole like 5 inch tall rib thing works on a shotgun. i absolutely love trap shooting and am interested in customizing my gun to fit me. ive heard if u raise the comb it will make it shoot low. is that the same in this case. if not how would u have to set it up to shot close to the poa.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I think some of the thought of the raised rib is to give you more visibility by lifting your head. If it shoots low you just need to throw some rocks on a dirt road and then adjust your aim.

3. teenagegunnut

teenagegunnut New Member

well i was wondering if u could adjust the gun or buy a gun that shoots high for trap.

4. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

the trap guns are trap guns. It would make sense to just take advantage of all the thought they have put into them.

5. teenagegunnut

teenagegunnut New Member

thats not what im looking for. im looking for answers not just common sense.

6. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

I'm not a HUGE trap shooter. I shoot Sporting Clays and Skeet...But I'm on a collegiate team with many American and International trap shooters. Alot of em have high ribs and custom stocks with combs, and others don't. Just make sure your gun fits you...try out some new things and see how ya like it.

-The high rib allows you to keep your head up and see the bird, it also changes your whole line up so that you can float the bird on your front bead and the shot will go high and break the bird.

-Rasing your comb sets the gun low in your shoulder and raises the muzzle. Combine this with the high rib and your shotgun is all in all angled up towards the flight path of the target.

[​IMG]

7. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

The picture above is a little exaggerated, but you get the idea. I shoot a stock sporting gun that shoots 50/50 and with no front bead and I break 24s all day.

[​IMG]

8. teenagegunnut

teenagegunnut New Member

i average 18-20 with a 20ga and 20 with a model 12

9. teenagegunnut

teenagegunnut New Member

but could u bend the barrel or get one that shoots high so you dont have to aim high?

10. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

"BEND THE BARREL" I can't wait to hear some answers on that. I can only supply "common sense" and you didn't like that. If you want it to shoot high you could put the raised rib higher in the rear. It is not gunna take much.

11. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

first off ya dont aim a shotgun :p and all the comb/rib does really is makes your gun point higher even though you feel its dead on. therefore, float the bird right on your bead, your shot will go over top and you'll break the bird.

12. teenagegunnut

teenagegunnut New Member

the fact is u do aim a shotgun. otherwise there wouldnt be a need for beads or anything. people argue both ways but i found that was better

13. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

he speaks true

14. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

As a matter of fact, you CAN aim a shotgun but it is ill-advised... The beads are a reference point to make sure the gun fits you and is pointed in level with your eye. The way I shoot you start with a low gun, watch the bird and slowly mount the gun (while still intently watching the bird) once the gun is in your shoulder and touches your cheek, fire.....I don't use the beads on any of my shotguns, even pulled the front ones off.

Do use the beads and irons for slugs though...

15. teenagegunnut

teenagegunnut New Member

i still have time hunting pheseant to mount it aim fire all with a 20 ga

16. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Pheasant hunting is one thing...so are skeet and trap...Go out to a decent clays range and try to aim at a chandel or a bateau, or like this past weekend we had a 75 yard left to right crosser. The trap and skeet shooters naturally aimed...and missed. all 6 times lol

17. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

i shoot trap and sporting and hunt many years ago when i learned not to aim is when my scores became respectable. check your lead and the barrel stops and you miss. its like baseball do you watch the bat or glove? no EYES [2] on the ball .concentrate on the target

18. wghuffman

wghuffman New Member

Trap shooting is a mind game. Find a shotgun that fits you well, pattern it an bust some birds. Both eyes open an lead the bird. Good luck!!

19. rmw

rmw New Member

The only time you want to aim a shotgun is when you are shooting at a turkey or a deer

20. Swervin

Swervin New Member

Seen it done. No B.S. they had the barrel wedged between a bumper on a pickup. And with a bag of lead shot beat on it... With a lot of liquor and laughs successfully bent a field gun barrel to make it shoot high..... You can even bend the curve of a stock for a right hander, to curve for a lefty. Dads a southpaw and with a vise a heatlamp and some time... It works....