Rain water

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Mosin, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Is rainwater safe to drink from the source, or is there risk for industrial contaminates? How is this treated?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Nowadays. Always filter if not boil.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

4. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

In a survival handbook I seen it had a three tear system. It ran through sand, grass and coal. I don't know the particular order. I could be wrong but I think that's what they say you can use. They had the material In a cloth.

5. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I'm wondering about a bug in/ off the grid living scenario, where rainwater can be collected and used indefinitely.
    I'm worried about heavy metal contamination, 'acid rain' and how to correct for that.

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You have to activate the charcoal. You char up a bunch of hard wood and then put it in a steel container with a pin hole in the top and cook it on the fire like char cloth but you take it off a little early and open in so it burns a few seconds then recover/smother it.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Collect some rainwater and have it analyzed. Once you know what is in it, you can build the proper filtration and purification system. When I am on the road, all the water that goes into my trailer goes through a sediment filter and a charcoal filter. The drinking and cooking water goes through a 2nd low micron charcoal filter. Keep in mind I am using tap water and some of it does not look that good. If I suspect organic contamination, I will put chlorine in my fresh water tank. The charcoal filters will remove the chlorine. I usually fill up a clear gallon jug to look at the clarity before I hook up. In a Utah state park I found dirt and bugs in the tap water.

8. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Today's rain water is not as bad as it was 10 yrs ago. There is not near as much Sulfer in rain water as there was 10 yrs ago or even 5 yrs ago
    However I do still suggest a filter. Its still better than dehydration

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

The real question is can you filter out radiation? Lol

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The filter I use can. What you would be filtering out is radioactive DUST.

As the man said, quality of rainwater depends on what is upwind from you, but is MOST cases, it's fine (naturally distilled, y'know) If you are just downwind from the company that makes isobutyl bad stuff, or methyl ethyl ugly, maybe not.

But look at it this way- after the Apocalypse, industrial pollution will be gone. And coal and charcoal are two very different things.

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You have one of those .2 micron filters that cost like $300, don't you?

12. downsouth

downsouth New Member

You're talking freekin C3 shooter ! He probably made his own filter out of a coffee can, paper towels, and some old Dr. Scholls shoe deoderizing insoles with charcoal.

13. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

0.1 micron :p

You use Dr. Scholls as the prefilter.....:D

14. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

'cept for that tongue rain water has to be caught in something and stored. Are they sterile? A lb. of the right pool Shock is good for 9-10,000 gallons. Drink up!

15. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Dunno about that... A lot of nasty stuff stays 'dormant' because people actively work to keep them that way. In a quick SHTF scenario I would imagine factories spilling out into rivers, lakes, etc, as well as burn to the ground.