Rain gear for motorcycles???

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Sand_Squid, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Sand_Squid

Sand_Squid New Member

You motorcyclist what kind of rain gear do you wear when driving in the rain? I know nothing will keep you 100% dry just wondering what is the good stuff to wear.

Thanks.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I don't have any actual rain gear for riding. I have a Cordura riding Jacket and Riding pants, best described as water resistant. Since I live in Northern UT & not Seattle, it does the job. I prefer to avoid the rain when possible. If it were more of a worry, I'd probably keep some Frogg Toggs in a saddle bag.

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/Suits.shtm

3. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Since i have no wind shield or front fender , I keep my ass off the bike when its wet

4. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

This may sound stupid or redneck...but I bought a rain suit at Walmart several years ago. It came with a hood that snaps on and off. It was about $30. It really works good. They are quite heavy weight. I keep them in my saddle bags on long trips.

6. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I don't ride if there's much of a chance of rain.. If I get caught I get wet.. Most of the rain I've been caught in hasn't been for very long.. My leather jacket and double bubble screen keep my upper body dry enough and my plastic does well enough on my lower body.. Assuming I'm moving that is...

7. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I dont care what you have on or what kind of bike you have , you pull the front fender off and its wet , your cool factor goes into the negative , like a dang water hose hitting you in the face

8. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Why would the front fender be off?
    :confused:

9. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Frog Toggs are the way to go!

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Rain sucks enough with all the pieces installed, no call to make things worse. Odd thought, I know, but you could always put it back on.

11. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

Two piece rain suits designed for riders generally work well. There are also one piece riding suits that shed the rain. Helmets with face shields tend to fog up in rain. Glasses in the rain get rain drops on both sides of the lenses. Glasses under a face shield are a disaster. For me the most important of all was waterproof boots. Second was waterproof gloves.
    Probably the biggest thing is the design of the bike. A Gold Wing rider sails through pretty good while a Harley rider takes it in the gut. :)

12. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I would like to add and can testify to Frogg Toggs,one of my many passions riding cross country on the bike for a week or two visiting national parks and other sites through out the country.
    One Fall I left Missouri headed for Arizona,of course it was raining the day of my departure and did wait for some heavy stuff to pass before leaving? Well that didn't last very long lol before I was out of MO. the rain began all the way across Kansas to the OK. boarder it rained....Next morning it was still raining finally headed out,it rained hard through OK.,TX, and half way across NM. before clearing up.The Frogg Toggs kept me dry for 2 days of rain and the trip back was about the same hahaha...Never mind about the 2 1/2 days of rain in Utah ;)

13. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Wal-Mart rain suit, two piece, plastic shopping bags and 200 MPH tape for inside my shoes. Good goggles that fit over my glasses, all are kept in my LH saddle bag at all times. I only use them if I get caught in the rain, If it's wet out,I don't ride. My only wreck on a bike was caused by a combination of wet roads and a binding front brake. Road rash sucks.

14. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Put aside my bike is like a water park ride when its wet out , Its just too dangerous for me , i almost stop going though curves . Buddy had his V-Star get squiffy with him the other day and all he did was shift into 3rd .
    Dad carries his little walmart suit and a bandana for his face and does not seem to have a problem .
    I just dont ride when its wet or going to be wet and i dont ride after 7 pm due to the massive amount of bugs I ingest ruins my dinner :D

15. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

I still have my rain gear from on the job, a set of H-D bib pants and a long orange jacket. Works real well.

I never made a point of taking the bike out in the rain, but if you're already out, sometimes it is unavoidable. You cannot always predict the showers, and the weathermen, oops I meant weatherpeople, don't always get it right. It's best to be prepared.