Railed 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by NGIB, Oct 14, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Finally decided to add a railed 1911 (with night sights) to the collection. Yeah, I know, if JMB wanted a rail he'd have designed it with one. I figure everyone should own the ultimate tacticool weapon for home defense (especially for zombie attacks at night) and I decided I'll put a Streamlight TLR-2 on it. I'm considering a Kimber SIS or a Springer TRP - but I'm leaning towards the TRP (model # PC9105LP).

Hydrashok is looking for me now and I'm sure he'll find me a good deal on one. Here's pix of a railed TRP that sold locally a week ago...

Attached Files:

2. Slawth

Slawth New Member

I'm luke warm on a rail on a 1911. It just seems to fugly up an otherwise sleek looking pistol. I know they serve their purpose but it somehow seems just wrong to me for the platform.

3. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

I think I'm going to get a Taurus PT1911 with rails sometime. They're a LOT less then Kimbers, I already own a Colt, and I don't like the low-end Springfields...

Whatever I decided on, it will be replacing my Glock 23 with night-sites and Surefire X300.

4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I already have 4 traditional 1911s so that "square" is well filled. They are the platform I shoot the best so I thought it'd make sense to have one with a rail and night sights as a primary home defense gun. This one would never be carried so I don't worry about limiting my holster choices...

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hell, go for the Streamlight TLR-2addition NGIB. I think you will like the convenience, may be a little bulky, but IMO, I think it will help at night and it can be removed for range time if needed, or left on for laser dry or live fire targeting. :)

Everyone should have special purpose weapons, if they want, and if they can afford them. :)

Jack

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I am getting the TLR-2 with whatever railed 1911 I get. Thought about getting the pistol bayonet - but I'm just not cool enough for that...

7. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

We think your cool enough!:D

Thank god I'm not.:eek:

8. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Smith makes a nice railed 1911.

But I'm a bit of a Smith fan.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

9. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Comes in black also...

for you ninja types:D

Attached Files:

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Rails are for mall ninja's and glock owners.

There ain't no need to screw up a good 1911 with that crap. OMG I think I need to kick you in the junk NGIB....

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Well, since I don't own a Glock (anymore) I guess we know what category that places me in.

It's not often that Tango considers kicking me in the junk - I feel very special now...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I think the railed 1911's are very nice. Convenient to hold your light at home, etc.

Let's say you need to get up two or three times a night to go pee like you old people do. Just grab the 1911 and flick on the light to guide you. You can take a tactical piss!! Awesome!! :D

13. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

NM prefix on the Springer serial number, isn't that made in Brazil?

IMHO, illumination on handgun is like a big sign saying "here I am, over here!". Hence, I have no use for the "rail". If I need to work with a flashlight, I probably would use the "old school" LEO overhold technique that I was taught years (eons?) ago.

I was a tanker, and back in the day, we would illuminate the target with white light, but shoot from another blacked out tank. The illumination would be for 1 -2 seconds and then we would move after the lights went out. Tactically with the pistol a one second flashlight pulse followed by a double tap and a move to other cover seems to be the deal. I dont think one needs a light on a rail to do that, but....I'm certainly no expert.

That being said, to each his own.

cheers!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I'm trying to figure out why you like to jump in on my posts and be mildly insulting. Have I offended you in a past life?

All Springers begin life in Brazil and this has been covered on FTF before. The NM prefixed serial numbers just represent the guns that had the majority of the assembly done here in the US and they don't have Brazil stamped anywhere on them.

If you don't like railed guns, fine, why post anything in the thread? I'm not a huge fan myself - but it's something I don't have so why not as I can afford it...

15. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I think that is a great looking weapon, love the rail. Maybe you don't need a rail but whats the negative to having one?

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

You need to make up your mind NGIB. What is this, your third possible choice?? :p Do I need to change your screen name to Jiro the II?? ;)

I don't like the rail. You need a special holster, should you decide to carry it. I had one on my H&K, and I bought the Surelight to put on there, and then I was like Ha HaH!!

Well....

That was anti-climatic....

I think with the TRP, you have a great gun, but you are paying A LOT for the name.

And Adjustable Night Sights?? You?? WTF? :p

JD

17. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The long slide is on the way and this another new toy I really don't need...

18. Slawth

Slawth New Member

Here's a pretty sweet railed gun...

[​IMG]

19. feedsasquatch

feedsasquatch New Member

Do they make a holster for it:p horsehide is preferred, but cowhide is ok too.

But seriously, who here can shoot better one-handed than with two?!?! Alright, then why NOT have a rail-light on your home-defense gun? I mean, it' staying at home, right? You should have other weapons that you can carry on you. Like a Colt Combat Commander...

20. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

Sir,

I apologize for having offended you. I was just asking if the pistol was made in Brazil. I wasn't implying that it was somehow inferior or that you had made a bad choice.

I can see that you could get the impression of vailed criticism from these comments. Thanks for pointing it out, and I will correct it.

Again please accept my sincere apology. I look forward to being a productive member of these boards in the future.

regards,

Steve