Raging Judge

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by cghamm117, Oct 1, 2012.

1. cghamm117

cghamm117 New Member

Been considering getting the raging judge. i know im not gonna carry this thing, I was thinking next to the bed/ when I go out in the deep woods for protection with the 454. So I could do the 410 self defense round and also have a couple 45 lc in there then if needed which wouldn't be at this point ever 454. So I think overall with taurus's sketchy reliably, but they do have a good warranty. I know because of the longer chamber you might give up some accuracy. But I was kinda wondering if someone has some real experience with the raging judge as far as accuracy issues and anything else. i feel like I might get a little more bang for my buck (pun intended), by getting something that is so versatile. Any input will be appreciated
    Thank You

2. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

I'm pretty sure this is in multiple threads. Just search raging judge/judge and I know theres plenty of threads for it.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

If you could find a S&W Governor I would personally take that over the Judge. Taurus wheel guns aren't as bad as their semi-autos.

4. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I would not use a .410 out of a short barrel for self/home defense if I had any other option. Since your not going to carry it, get a more proven HD/SD weapon. Also, unless you reload, 45LC and .454 are expensive to shoot, so you are not as likely to practice. YMMV

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

Skip the 410 revolvers. I would suggest one of the ruger blackhawks in 45acp/45colt. Much better gun and you got the ability to use the reallllllly hot 45colt loads and practice/plink with 45acp

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Those above pretty much covered it-
    Way to many better choices out there ;)

7. cghamm117

cghamm117 New Member

thanks for the input, honestly i'm not surprised with the responses, I doubt I'm gonna look into it any farther. I think I want to buy a large caliper revolver that like stated may be a bit cheaper to practice with, but can basically can take down anything in north america power wise.

8. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

The minimum in that case would be .44 Mag, but as always a handgun is a compromise. You can go larger/more powerful like .454 Casull and .500 S&W. What size barrel are wanting? The shorter it is, the less fun it will be to shoot, but the easier it is to carry. Are you reloading? Or are you limited to factory ammo?

9. cghamm117

cghamm117 New Member

I will stay with a larger barrel most likely, at least probably 6 inches. I will not be reloading for a while anyway, so in this aspect I will be limited to factory ammo. I do plan eventually to get into reloading, but im on a budget now, and I assume getting started would be kinda expensive. Although long term I would save money. This is why I was thinking about the raging judge it is about 550 on buds were a sw 500 would be about 1300. I can see that the sw 500 would be the better quality. I have a M&P 9 and love it. So I am looking to get a "handcannon" basically, but I think maybe waiting and saving might be my best option.

10. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

S&W in .460 with a 8" bbl.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

basic loading kits arent that pricey. you dont need a dillon xl650 with all the gadgets to get started.

410 and 45colt ammo isnt that cheap either. most of the cost of ammo is the brass. with most normal pistol rounds like 38 357 44 45 you can use lead bullets cast your own and re-use your cases and its a HUGE difference in price. even if you dont cast bullets and buy pre-made lead bullets the difference in price is amazing. i can make lead 45 colt and 357 and 44 for less than the price of off the shelf steel cased 9mm

i bought a rcbs starter kit in the late 80's and i still use it today. its a companion to my xl650 and i use it to load 100 or less round count at a time. just something relaxing about a single stage press.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

460sw is a cool round...a bit nastier than even the .500sw I believe. Plus, they can shoot 454cas and 45lc as well.

You know what I want? Gimme a .460 lever rifle that'll cycle all three calibers...now that could be a badass trail gun.

13. RolltideAR

RolltideAR New Member

Thats what I have been asking for since the 460 came out. I'm shocked there isnt any word of a 460 lever gun. I'll keep waiting.

14. cghamm117

cghamm117 New Member

What would be a good starter kit in general for reloading. It can obviously be a single stage.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Lee Kit -Everything but dies included

16. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

Agreed, I started with the Lee Breechlock Deluxe kit. I found that I wanted a digital scale and bought one right away. So far I have not had any issues with it, but I will move to a progressive for .45, 9mm and .38/.357.

17. cghamm117

cghamm117 New Member

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-breech-lock-challenger-50th-anniversary-kit

So this reloader would do be sufficient, I do shoot 9 and 40...so like you stated would this not be the best option if i wanted to do everything from 9 too high powered rifle like a 300 winmag. or the .500 pistol. I guess im asking would this be versatile enough... I will be honest I do not know the first thing about reloading so I would do alot of reasearch before ever trying it on my own. But i do like to shoot alot and money often comes between me and the range. So if this would save me for 9mm and 40 and also even .270 300 I would def go for 100$...
    Thanks for input so far, I know you have probably answered these questions alot.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Thats what I learned with :)
    I'm a great fan of Midway-
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit