Radom VIS Mod 35

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Glasshartt, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

OK, so I went to the local pawn shop to see if they had a computer projector for Scubie to use when he teaches his CHL classes, which they did.

After that was taken care of, of course I have to go over to the firearms section to see what they have on display today. They had a Marlin 35 lever action, a Winchester 1967 Canadian Centennial lever action 30-30 with the hang tag still on it, a couple of Mauser, an AK, a really old double barrel coach gun, another old mil-surp that I didn't look at, an over-priced DPMS .223, and another one that I don't remember what it was, nothing really talked to me.

I then went to the pistol case. There were a couple of Stars (blech), a couple of Walther P-1's, a Belgian-made Browning that was pretty nice, and then the clerk pulled out this kinda 1911 look-alike out and handed it to me. I had looked at it in the case, but didn't recognize the "FB" on the grip and thought it was a knock off. Well, was I wrong. I turned it over and looked at the right side of the gun. Looking back at me, beside the serial number was this distinctive eagle with a swaztika underneath it. All of the sudden, it started talking to me, very loudly. It appears to be a WWII bring back and is in very good shape with original patina and does not appear to have to been reworked at all. The clerk said that the guy who brough it in didn't have any idea what he had and "brought it in in a cigar box." I think I got a pretty good deal. Don't know if I will be able to find any other mags though. Oh well, we'll see.

Thanks to Scubie for the pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Beautiful Radom Glass. :cool:

One of those is on my wish list.

3. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I had never heard of them until today.

4. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Wow! Very cool find and piece of history.

5. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

i bought one of those 6 years ago at a local hardware store, my first big bore handgun. mine is a bit newer than yours, serial number starting with a "W" & proof marks slightly different. there's no "Waa" in front of the "77," just the eagle over the top of it. i paid $360 for it then & they threw in a cheap box of ammo with it.

i did find another mag for it through sportsmans guide but it was a cheap aftermarket one that needed some fiddling to make it work. & it still doesn't always lock the slide open on the last shot

there's alot of these on gunbroker but you can't buy 'em....meaning that either the reserve price or starting bid are so ridiculously high, no one buys them. the same ones get relisted over & over.

you don't hafta tell me but i'm curious what you paid for yours. and congrats on the new pistol!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Very nice piece of history, and not that common in the condition you have. Great find. I beleive they are a high power clone.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  7. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Nice score, Glass! The Vis P35 is one of the best combat handguns of WW2. Most were appropriated for use by the Waffen SS.

If you are planning to shoot it, get a set of replacement stocks for it. The original bakelites are fragile, and expensive. But they shrink when not on the gun, so keep them on it for storage and change to the repros for shooting.

Here is mine (along with some other service pistols).

[​IMG]

8. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I paid $700. for the condition I think I did pretty good.

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Not too bad. They aren't making any more of them.

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Value will only go up!

11. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

That's what I live with guys... I look and look and look and don't find squat most of the time..then she goes out and BAM. What's a guy to do. :(

Scubie

12. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Maybe she'll let you shoot it?

13. Dino1

Dino1 New Member

Nice score! :)
    The Radom VIS is the real deal.
    They're not "knock offs" or "clones".
    I just scored a nice one myself. ;)

Here's a good article that explains it's origin and the different "grades".
    Radom VIS 35 P35(p)

Congrats!

14. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

15. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

doh! i forgot to post a pic of mine too.

[​IMG]

i still have the original grips but like M14 said, they are fragile & expensive so my p35 doesn't wear them much anymore. plus the Jay Scott's that are on it in the pic are a bit wider & feel better in my hand.....& not gonna lie i think they look cool :D

i thought i got a fair deal on mine at the time, considering the bluing is a bit thin & looks to be much lighter than either M14's or Glass's but after looking at the prices the last few months i think i bought it at a right time & considering today's prices i think i did good. plus like most any quality old firearm, the value will only go up if cared for.

16. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

looks good, you got a good deal on it when you got it.

17. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I couldn't believe it. When Scubie came home from work yesterday, he said" Close you eyes and hold out your hand." Normally I hate it when he does this because I never know what I am going to end up with in my hand. When I opened my eyes, there was another magazine for the Radom. I couldn't believe that he had found one here, so I asked where he got it. Apparently he stopped at the local pawn shop on his way home to see what they had and the guy there gave him the magazine. It wasn't with the Radom when I bought it and the paperwork didn't say anything about a 2nd mag. It's pretty cool that they held onto it for us instead of trying to sell it seperately.

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What's a guy to do? He is to be very glad he is married to Glass. And I know you are.

19. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Cool beans. :cool:

20. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Great find! And for a very fair price. Congrats!