Raccoons! What to do, what to do???

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Snakedriver, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

We've had a family of raccoons move into our neighborhood that are tearing everything in the yard up when they are digging for something to eat. We live in a densely populated city subdivision, so shooting the little rascals isn't really a possibility. A couple of these things are bigger than our little foo-foo dogs and my wife is very afraid they will attack her babies when we take them out just before bedtime. They were out in the front yard just this last night when we went out around 10:00pm. This morning the yard is a huge mess from all their pillaging.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to safely get rid of these unwelcomed pests?

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Live traps, you can pick them up at some shelters, hardware stores, some walmarts carry them, co-ops and feedstores. Bait it with table scraps.

You could also call your local animal control, this kind of thing falls into their job description.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I doubt they will attack your dogs. I've had raccoons eating side by side out of the same bowl with my cats and never a fight.

Try some of these options.

Raccoon repellent

4. vincent

vincent New Member

When coons tried to get in my back porch, Mama just chased 'em off with a broom...:D Sorry, my impudence is awake before I am this a.m...:rolleyes:

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Live trap- bait with a can of sardines (unopened, just punctured in a few spots)

Then dispose of racoon with a high enegy pellet rifle to the head.

Under the game laws in most states, it is legal for you to kill them. Illegal to relocate.

Racoons can be extemely destructive, hell on bird nests, carry rabies, WILL kill a dog or cat if so inclined.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

just what i was thinking... these are your best options

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yes, that's why my wife is so afraid for our dogs. One of our friends had an older raccoon go after their little yorkie dog in their yard and it damn near killed the little dog. It had to have hundreds of stitches to patch it back together.

Living in Florida is always an adventure. Now we have to worry about coons along with the gaters, bears, panthers, pythons, possums and armadillos. What's next I wonder?

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

What's next? Why would you ask such a thing, that's bad luck! But you didn't mention the snake heads and fire ants. It's a prefect environment for piranhas too. Oh, and bull sharks can survive in fresh water, they've been found in the MS river as far north as memphis I hear (I have no confirmation on that one), so they can easily live in your waters. Some have been discovered in Australia surviving something like 3 shark generations in freshwater, never seeing the sea. Yep, the wildlife is gonna get ya!

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I have never seen a coon attack a dog. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen but I've never known it to happen. But I have seen a coon fight when a dog attacked the coon first. And it is FIERCE!!

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Seen this too, but one thing to remember is that coons are one of the most likely carriers of rabies, and rabies makes animals do some crazy stuff.

11. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

I had a similar problem with groundhogs and a crossbow worked wonders.

12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

That's not a bad idea and it would be a good excuse to get a crossbow for SHTF without having to listen to the wife complain about my weapon expenditures.

Brilliant! :cool:

13. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Take a can of sardines and a galvanized nail . Do not open the can! Just nail it to a tree though the can. But do not let your dogs lick it cause it will kill them. The zink and the galvanize mix with the Fish oils and it will kill anything the licks it.

14. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

This is my thought exactly.

15. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

Lay a 5 gal bucket on its side, wire a 9" "Conna Bear Trap " over the opening and throw a little stinky cat food in the back.

Killed 45 in one day in the tool shed ( they were destroying the combines ) and got $10.00 each at the fur buyer. I bought the traps from the fur buyer for $9.00 @ ( put out 3 ) so for a $27.00 investment I got $450.00 back in one day! But the coons had caused several hundred dollars in damage!

If down low you will also get the skunks, in a residential area this would not work as what ever puts it's head in is dead on the spot - - - does not matter small dog, cat, opossums, skunks they are all dead instantly!

If you get a skunk you will not want to be in the area for about a month!

I now put the traps out at the first sign of coons!

16. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

You need to catch your own pet alligator!

I know there are a bunch of them (alligators) running wild in Gainesville. When we lived there, they (the alligators) would come out at night from the swamps and rivers. So you had to keep your kids inside.

Or maybe you can get a pet boa or anaconda, and raise it to full size! These are popular in Florida too. Illegal, but popular.

My own solution to your problem would be archery.

At 10 yds I can hit a squirrel.

At 20 I can hit a rabbit.

At 30 a deer or anything larger.

17. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Also, don't forget, raccoon tastes just like chicken. So fire-up the grill after you bag one.

18. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Traps are not a good idea in the suburbs or cities because you will catch every neighbor's cat, that way, and then you will have hell to pay for it.

19. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Yup, everyone remembers vividly the first time they ever came across their first skunk.:mad:

20. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

Might as well go for archery, if you are thinking cross bow. Longer range, for bigger game too.