Rabbit's?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by unclebear, Sep 29, 2011.

1. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I couldn't find jack squat about this online, my old man says that you can't eat rabbits during certain times of the year because they have parasites or something along those lines. Is this true does anyone know anything about this? :confused:

2. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Mostly an old wives tale. They're like any other wild animal you choose to eat. You cook it properly. If I remember right, the biggest issue with rabbits is called tullermia (sp?) and that's like 1 or 2% of them have it, and as long as you wear gloves and follow proper hygiene then you're good on that.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Skin em and cook em. Parasites dont use calenders.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

I always heard the same on squirrels. I think it was more of a guideline.

5. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Make sure they don't have worms, or white spots on the livers and cook em up and enjoy, been hunting them and eating them since I was a little kid, haven't been sick or dead yet LOL.

Gersty

6. unclebear

unclebear New Member

thank you guys I now know what I'm doing this weekend

7. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Must be nice, don't come in to season here until November 1, but been keeping the wife and Myself busy chasing squirrels, and deer season starts on Saturday, shes gonna be in the woods, Ill be at work LOL.

Good luck with the bunnies, what ya gonna be hunting em with? Post some pics up if your successful in the woods.

Gersty

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The parasites they are talking about is horsefly larvae. Although unsightly, they don't hurt the meat. The reason most people wait to hunt them until after 1st frost is the larvae have left the host animal by then.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

{Wonders if there may be another donut back there...} :p

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Months with an "R"

The old guideline for rabbit and raw oysters was eat them during any month containing an "r". September through April are the cooler months and all contain an "r".

May, June, July & August contain no "r's" and are the warmest months when parasites and bacteria are most likely to be encountered.

Keep your food cold until ready to cook and cook it thoroughly and all should be good to go.

Althought I have eaten oysters in Jurne on occasion. Must have been the Silver Bullets altering my thought process. :D

11. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Wabbits........

We hunted rabbits year round and et every one we killed, the only time I threw away some of those during the time they had large worms in the neck area and it was really infected, Others I just kept the back legs..... Never feed your dogs the entrails from any rabbit or wild kill, They contain tape worms, round and hook worms, liver fluke and God knows what else...If you hunt rabbits and come across some oyster mushrooms at the same time the two go great together in a cast iron pot..........Single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.......:eek: :)

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Our rabbit season starts tomorrow Oct. 1, but I never kill any until we have had a good frost, and that has not happened as of yet. Just something my dad taught me. Well that`s my .02 cents.